Deep Dive - Telegraph Bulldogs Story

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My view is "making the Finals" is totally different to "winning the Finals". We are possibly (I'll come back to that shortly) 2 or 3 strike players short of winning Finals games, but where we finish on the table doesn't necessarily depend on that. Back to the "possibly", who knows how the new and returning players are going to play under CC and the new coaching staff. We have a number of options at fullback, Averillo is only just now spending his first ever NRL preseason training for that position, with Potter looking after him, who knows how much he will develop. This is the make or break season for Flanagan, he either makes it as an NRL halfback this year or he's no longer wanted in the NRL, he knows it, the coaching staff know it, the players know it, everyone knows it.

I have a belief that King (2022 stats 102 running metres per game + 44 metres post contact) will develop into the meter eater prop that many seem to think we don't have and with Mahony's service Thompson should be well and truly capable of improving on his 111 metres and 44 post contact metres average from 2021. Those stats are pretty much the same as what TPJ achieved last season, 112/42. Albeit over only 4 games last season Sutton achieved 124/32 playing mostly prop, with 1 game at lock. One of those 4 can (and probably will) play lock, the preseason (and CC) will determine which one.

We have some raw talent pushing for NRL selection, how Skelton, Alamoti and Perham develop over the season will be interesting to watch,. They all have some natural strike power in their attack, if even just one of them hits their straps then we are in for some fun this year.

History shows that many times we have made the Finals with only 2 or 3 top level spine players readily identifiable at the beginning of the season.

Always a Bulldog

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sam Hughes stats in KOE Cup are very underwhelming. Averages around 63 run metres. 98% tackle efficiency and around 5 hitups on average per game. Interesting…

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ciraldo is not even close to naming his 17, so anyone speculating otherwise at this point is doing just that.
Must admit, im very much looking forward to Ciraldo's round 1 team sheet!
Exactly, trials and training drills are exactly that, to give everyone a run in different positions.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He consistently pumped out 50+ quality minutes a game last season, in both attack and defence. Has to start.
He's practically our only reliable middle at this stage, being benched while players like Sutton and Thompson start is crazy.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is "making the Finals" is totally different to "winning the Finals". We are possibly (I'll come back to that shortly) 2 or 3 strike players short of winning Finals games, but where we finish on the table doesn't necessarily depend on that. Back to the "possibly", who knows how the new and returning players are going to play under CC and the new coaching staff. We have a number of options at fullback, Averillo is only just now spending his first ever NRL preseason training for that position, with Potter looking after him, who knows how much he will develop. This is the make or break season for Flanagan, he either makes it as an NRL halfback this year or he's no longer wanted in the NRL, he knows it, the coaching staff know it, the players know it, everyone knows it.

I have a belief that King (2022 stats 102 running metres per game + 44 metres post contact) will develop into the meter eater prop that many seem to think we don't have and with Mahony's service Thompson should be well and truly capable of improving on his 111 metres and 44 post contact metres average from 2021. Those stats are pretty much the same as what TPJ achieved last season, 112/42. Albeit over only 4 games last season Sutton achieved 124/32 playing mostly prop, with 1 game at lock. One of those 4 can (and probably will) play lock, the preseason (and CC) will determine which one.

We have some raw talent pushing for NRL selection, how Skelton, Alamoti and Perham develop over the season will be interesting to watch,. They all have some natural strike power in their attack, if even just one of them hits their straps then we are in for some fun this year.

History shows that many times we have made the Finals with only 2 or 3 top level spine players readily identifiable at the beginning of the season.

Always a Bulldog
King has been a revelation but agree hard working forwards demanding defence loyalty should be a mantra in 23. The big question for me is if CC Gus Mason Potter and a cast of others can fix it. Exciting times I’m hopeful and passionate for big things this year.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My view is "making the Finals" is totally different to "winning the Finals". We are possibly (I'll come back to that shortly) 2 or 3 strike players short of winning Finals games, but where we finish on the table doesn't necessarily depend on that.
Always a Bulldog
Yep. 2 or 3 players short to 'win finals'.
With a bit of luck in close games, the 2023 squad might compete as high as 5th or 6th.
But they will be vulnerable in finals games when a lack of depth on the bench, especially in middle forwards, might be exposed.
The biggest weakness in finals would have to be the one-dimensional half back. Finals are made for half-backs.
There are a couple of good half backs in the pipeline which will be the final piece of the puzzle for 2024.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. 2 or 3 players short to 'win finals'.
With a bit of luck in close games, the 2023 squad might compete as high as 5th or 6th.
But they will be vulnerable in finals games when a lack of depth on the bench, especially in middle forwards, might be exposed.
The biggest weakness in finals would have to be the one-dimensional half back. Finals are made for half-backs.
There are a couple of good half backs in the pipeline which will be the final piece of the puzzle for 2024.
I go back to 2012, our last real successful season as we finished minor premier and I make this statement

"In most teams Successful Season there is nearly always new players that emerge from somewhere that no supporter would have anticipated for".

Round 1 in 2012 no supporter would have anticipated the names Josh Jackson, Dale Finucane & Krisnan Inu to be part of our grand final charge, but yet they were there for us in and leading up to the Grand Final.

In 2012, they were the 2 to 3 players short of being a finals winning team at the start of the season.

I have faith in our current player management team that by the end of the season we will have at least 2 to 3 players emerge that we didn't expect to emerge - either through junior development or a late signing.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joash Papalii is the man for fullback. The way he plays, is really special and he reminds me of RTS.

Averillo is just playing his last season at right-centre spot, to keep the spot warm for Alamoti when it's 2024.

To be honest, i want Papalii over Crichton for fullback. He's the only fullback at the club that isn't scared of contact and actually knows what he's doing. Averillo is a pussy.

2024 Spine

Joash Papalii
6. Matt Burton
7. Mitchell Moses
9. Reed Mahoney

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Joash Papalii is the man for fullback. The way he plays, is really special and he reminds me of RTS.

Averillo is just playing his last season at right-centre spot, to keep the spot warm for Alamoti when it's 2024.

To be honest, i want Papalii over Crichton for fullback. He's the only fullback at the club that isn't scared of contact and actually knows what he's doing. Averillo is a pussy.

2024 Spine

Joash Papalii
6. Matt Burton
7. Mitchell Moses
9. Reed Mahoney
Averillo was super confident in a roos jersey and is coached by a Daly M fullback, its going to be his last chance and he will be there with bells on, young enough to evolve.
If Ben Barba can do it so can he.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"In most teams Successful Season there is nearly always new players that emerge from somewhere that no supporter would have anticipated for".
Some candidates:
Fullback: Jake Averillo (plenty already writing him off), Joash Papalii, Blake Wilson [3]
Wing/Centre: Jeral Skelton, Paul Alamoti, Declan Casey, Hayze Perham, Jordan Samrani [5]
Halves: Khaled Rajab, Bailey Hayward, Joseph O'Neill, Iverson Matai, Jonah Glover [5]
Hooker/Utility: Brandon Clarke [1]
Prop: Franklin Pele, Sam Hughes, Chris Patolo (will he develop), Jayden Tanner, Billy Tsikrikas, Isaac Matalavea-Booth. [6]
Back Row: Jackson Topine, Jacob Preston, Kurtis Morrin [3]

Out of those 23 (for '23) and probably some others flying under the radar, you would hope at least 3 kick on under Ciraldo and deliver those unexpected diamonds needed to really press forward this year.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I go back to 2012, our last real successful season as we finished minor premier and I make this statement

Round 1 in 2012 no supporter would have anticipated the names Josh Jackson, Dale Finucane & Krisnan Inu to be part of our grand final charge, but yet they were there for us in and leading up to the Grand Final.

In 2012, they were the 2 to 3 players short of being a finals winning team at the start of the season.

I have faith in our current player management team that by the end of the season we will have at least 2 to 3 players emerge that we didn't expect to emerge - either through junior development or a late signing.
My bold prediction of 23 is Jacob Preston will be starting right edge by the end of the season.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bold prediction of 23 is Jacob Preston will be starting right edge by the end of the season.
I don't know much about him, but what I do know is that every time someone has asked Gus on twitter to name the one player that has impressed him at training, he has on multiple occasions named Jacob Preston.

This tells me that your bold prediction is spot on, at least to have him playing 1st grade by the end of the season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't know much about him, but what I do know is that every time someone has asked Gus on twitter to name the one player that has impressed him at training, he has on multiple occasions named Jacob Preston.

This tells me that your bold prediction is spot on, at least to have him playing 1st grade by the end of the season.
He's a Shaun Lane type from what I've seen.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he is quick for a backrower and runs very good lines also good in the air, the roosters lower grades were all very good in 22 and he stood out playing reserve grade after flegg