Declan Casey debut

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burns is actually a decent back up. He’s not the fastest but he has good hands and knows how to put his winger away. Yesterday in NSW cup he got Okunbor away a few times (but Okunbor either got chased down or dropped the ball)
If you want good hands you just stay with Allen. He’s far better than Burns.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has no impact on us. He isn’t top 30 so he’s not taking up cap space.
The impact is having a dud is a waste of space, bad recruiting, who is recruiting these idiots. Time to name and shame them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Has no impact on us. He isn’t top 30 so he’s not taking up cap space.
He's taking up a roster position though, could be developing a potential firstgrader instead of him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Did Declan get hold of a really realistic Jack Wighton mask and run out for Canberra today?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're nice aren't you? A kid gets knocked out on debut & you joke about it.
No im not nice Jake Trobijovik is nice. Im venting a bit there, club needing more accountability than that from guys stepping up. Its ok to say poor kid wtf, he's playing FG. Lets just give em all a fucking trophy and a pat on the back.

Last edited:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burns straight into centre next game inside of Kiraz. Will be a decent edge that way.

Casey was way out of his depth, but with other injuries (or returns from injury only this week) was always next to debut.

Unfortunately conditions were not kind to him, and that'll dent his confidence. This is something Tim Mannah in NSW Cup mentioned the other week when the other commentator queried why Jackson Topine wasn't in first grade. He mentioned you should never debut a player when a teams on a losing run because its not a good environment to debut them in.

With 2 wins only, on a dry track the call might have been a safe one, but in torrential conditions, it was only ever going to end badly.

That said was impressed with Averillo yesterday not dropping a single ball.
You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel if you're taking advice from Tim Mannah.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Worse conditions in years to play got to give him a break
I hope he gets another run soon

Malla

Reaction score
I've had a couple days to think about this and I have come to the conclusion that Bulldogs have a huge issue with developing wingers. However in relation to Casey, lets not get all hot and throbby about calling him out. Don't feel sorry for him.

- he made defensive error that led to Souths first try.
- Dropped 4 balls and 2 led directly to a try, one we had the ball off a drop out in food field position then Sharks go and score off that set so effectively it was a 12 point turnaround

What is it with us and wingers? Okunbor is worse, Casey is trash, who else is there? We are playing centres in the wing who are doing a better job than 'wingers'

This needs to be addressed asap. What are they being coached to do defensively? Why can't they catch?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had a couple days to think about this and I have come to the conclusion that Bulldogs have a huge issue with developing wingers. However in relation to Casey, lets not get all hot and throbby about calling him out. Don't feel sorry for him.

- Dropped 4 balls and 2 led directly to a try, one we had the ball off a drop out in food field position then Sharks go and score off that set so effectively it was a 12 point turnaround

What is it with us and wingers? Okunbor is worse, Casey is trash, who else is there? We are playing centres in the wing who are doing a better job than 'wingers'

This needs to be addressed asap. What are they being coached to do defensively? Why can't they catch?
I think we have a talent identification problem for wingers not really a development problem. Every other club has a winger coming through, whereas we have had the bare minimum come through in the past 10 years, I can only think of Rona, Reimis and Corey Thompson as good 1st grade wingers, the rest have been atrocious

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

His decision to run head first in to Fifita was amateurish as well, got the feeling he was trying to demonstrate that he was hard, and making up for those past mistakes, he needs a lot of direction which to me confirms your main point around development. On the issue of bagging him, simply people pissed off with this type of standard, fuck everyone cuddling him in dressing sheds cheering how many accolades these guys need before they can stand up to scrutiny.

Malla

Reaction score
His decision to run head first in to Fifita was amateurish as well, got the feeling he was trying to demonstrate that he was hard, and making up for those past mistakes, he needs a lot of direction which to me confirms your main point around development. On the issue of bagging him, simply people pissed off with this type of standard, fuck everyone cuddling him in dressing sheds cheering how many accolades these guys need before they can stand up to scrutiny.
He got what he deserved against Fifita. If you're the smaller bloke you can't go around the shoulders trying to put a big hit on someone the size of Fitita off a kick off lol.

We have not had a good winger since Curtis Rona. It's annoying and becoming a real weakness of ours. I love the fox and that he's with us, but which other team in the comp goes out and splashes 500k+ on a winger that can't defend? Before that we bought Brett Morris (as a fullback) but he was old an injury proned. I like Kiraz at centre, but if Alomati comes along as expected I think Kiraz can be an excellent winger because he's good under the high ball, looks like a good defender but will improve, he is a good runner of the ball and he's a try scorer. I think we need to keep developing him as a winger.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I checked, putting a shoulder in a blokes head whilst attacking was a "no no". Must be an exemption for Fifita.