Dean Pay - What is our game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no coming back for Foran, he was a shit signing that will plague us for years to come
Maybe, certainly been a write off this season as far as Foran is concerned.
But again back on point now more than ever we need a coach with ideas, that can take the players with him & get them believing again.
No one like a deer in the headlights.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How so ? Lewis is not in top 30 .. any other magical hidden halves I'm not aware of?
There is your answer bro. Let’s just assume the top 30 is selected by the coach.

He had his shot when he kicked out suli. He picked jmk, not Lewis or Cleeland. Jmk is a dud

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is your answer bro. Let’s just assume the top 30 is selected by the coach.

He had his shot when he kicked out suli. He picked jmk, not Lewis or Cleeland. Jmk is a dud
A relatively short period of times with a squad to pick a top 30.. I have people at work that look amazing after a few months, but ask me what they are like after a year...

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Montoya/frawley/lichha are not first grade standard the fact pay keeps picking them shows hes out of his depth and this holland on the bench thing absolutely proves it
You are correct but we lack options. Mbye & Foran should of been our halves from the start of season. However, we move Mbye to fb and release him mid season. I understand he is on a big wage but letting go woods should of been a priority first and foremost. Constantly having Holland on the bench infuriates me. He should be starting over Montoya every game. Please don’t get me started on JMK. I don’t see the hype and potential. If the board doesn’t see Pay being out of depth, we are in dire straits.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The squad is weak - too many NSW cup standard or fringe first graders at best - particularly the spine. BUT I don't think Pay and the coaching staff are improving the situation. I don't understand Martin not playing, Holland as a bench hooker and persisting with Priest. A lot of selections are a result of not having anyone better.
Apparently he signed with a Qld club. All rumours at the moment.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Priest looked like he shattered his cheekbone so that’s one less Pay favourite to worry about

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Priest looked like he shattered his cheekbone so that’s one less Pay favourite to worry about
I never wish injury upon a player but it could be a blessing in disguise.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's fucking useless, it's as simple as that. I can't believe how fucking incompetent this **** is, it's amazing he got a gig as an NRL coach. Just fucking disgraceful, absolutely embarrassing. I bet he also makes loud chewing sounds when eating.
Fucking burns that we could have signed Ivan and eventually inherited that big chinned prodigy of his

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, he can't coach. Simple.
What are we supposed to do, sack a coach a second time in less than a year and pay him out for next year as well. We just like giving money away don’t we, then employ another coach. 3 different coaches in the space of 8 months. Then we’ll really attract players to our club won’t we, on top of releasing contracted players already, who would want to come to our club?

You might as well build a proper team first and then see what he can do. If he doesn’t perform his 2 year deal would be up and then boot him out.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are we supposed to do, sack a coach a second time in less than a year and pay him out for next year as well. We just like giving money away don’t we, then employ another coach. 3 different coaches in the space of 8 months. Then we’ll really attract players to our club won’t we, on top of releasing contracted players already, who would want to come to our club?

You might as well build a proper team first and then see what he can do. If he doesn’t perform his 2 year deal would be up and then boot him out.
Football is based on results and Pay has shown he can’t coach our team out of this rut. Yes, he inherited a squad that was overpaid BUT not a squad fighting for the spoon. We had ONE half of the preseason with the first grade squad. 15 rounds in and we haven’t improved from last season. At the start of the season, no expected us to be fighting the spoon at all.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The players can't even get the basics right let alone be able to carry out any type of gameplan.

Last edited:

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
An old article but interesting comments from Pay before getting the role.

"That's the nature of it, it's a results-driven industry," Pay said.

"Des has done a fantastic job over his time there. I just think they're a big club, their fans and supporters look for the results. That's the nature of the beast.

"They've got the nucleus of a good team there, that's for sure. Obviously players move on and new ones come in at each club every year, they are no different there. But they've certainly got the nucleus of a good team."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/de...after-des-hasler-sacking-20170920-gylbxs.html

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

I hate Dean Pay and have given him all the chances he has needed.

But you have a very valid point, in the meantime hire a coaching.director to help mentor him at least and help him improve. The director works with Pay and identifies mistakes and positives and ultimately gives Pay a chance to show his ability if he had any.

Dymock must be relieved he didn't inherit this mess, imagine how much shit he would have copped being he was working under Hasler

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate Dean Pay and have given him all the chances he has needed.

But you have a very valid point, in the meantime hire a coaching.director to help mentor him at least and help him improve. The director works with Pay and identifies mistakes and positives and ultimately gives Pay a chance to show his ability if he had any.

Dymock must be relieved he didn't inherit this mess, imagine how much shit he would have copped being he was working under Hasler
Yeah that’s what I’m suggesting as well

Hire a mentor and let him work closely with Pay to improve aspects of his coaching

Look at the Warriors this year.
Kearney was all at sea for two seasons then Brian Smith comes along as Coaching Director

Top 4

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Hire a mentor and let him work closely with Pay to improve aspects of his coaching

Kearney was all at sea for two seasons then Brian Smith comes along as Coaching Director

Top 4
Exactly, the coaching director would help with his selections, his bench rotations, changing game plan on the go etc etc. Identity Pays weaknesses and help improve them. Not do the work for Pay but mentor him.

Inheriting a shit squad and diabolical salary cap doesn't help a rookie coach. Not being able to do what Moore did and buy Kimmorley/Ennis/Stagg/Eastwood for 2009 also hinders Pay going forward also.

But with the tools he has, he has failed miserably, we aren't asking to win comp or make the semis, we want 17 Klemmers and Jackson who go out and give 100% on the field. Show passion out there.

We played shit and lost last week agsint saints but I for first time in n long time I was proud of the team for the effort and passion they put in.

2008wooden Spooners showed a lot more passion and effort even when getting flogged by 50points

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Top 4
It could be just the thing we need

Status
Not open for further replies.