Dean Pay v Nathan Brown Article

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/it-looks-like-nathan-brown-cannot-coach-and-dean-pay-can-47872/

The life of a NRL coach can be hellish. When at the helm of a team in form, things smell pretty good. String together a handful of wins and the fans go bananas; watching their boys climb the ladder and loom into semi-final contention.

Alternatively, suffer a sequence of disappointing losses whilst making a few contentious selection decisions and watch the hungry media climb aboard; eager to raise the uncomfortable question of whether a coach is ‘safe’ in their role for the following season.

The past few days have seen both scenarios play out.

Nathan Brown inherited a young, inexperienced and floundering team in Newcastle when he took on the head coaching role in 2016. After an impressive time in the United Kingdom with St Helens, Brown had developed a reputation of promise and many felt the time was right for his return to the NRL.

Since, he has overseen a significant rebuild and appeared to have the Knights well on track to success this season despite a wobbly start to the campaign. After just one win in the first six rounds, the men from the Hunter rattled off six consecutive mid-season victories and launched themselves into serious top-eight contention.

Then, true to their inconsistency over the last three seasons, the Knights derailed. In fact, it could be said that the train crashed sensationally into a nearby mountain and exploded into a million pieces; so dramatic was the collapse.

Seven losses from nine matches, appalling efforts against the Storm and Roosters and a Round 22 capitulation against the Cowboys, eventually forced the clubs’ hand and Brown was categorically told that he was not wanted beyond 2019.

The 46-year-old has a 26 per cent winning record over the course of his coaching tenure in Newcastle and whilst rebuilding and attempting to develop players, such a figure is unsustainable for a well-resourced and proud club such as the Knights.

In short, he had to go. By now, with the talent in their squad and after setting the season up so well through June, Newcastle should be locked into a semi-final position.

They are not and the man that many Newcastle fans feel is a little out of his depth as a first-grade mentor has fallen on his sword.

The Knights still have a remote chance of stumbling into the top eight, highly unlikely really considering their recent form, yet they are not the only team sniffing around praying for a statistical miracle.

Canterbury-Bankstown has come from the clouds over the last two months. The bookmakers will be counting their winnings after securing countless investments made on the presumption that the youthful and shallow Bulldogs squad would lock up the wooden spoon comfortably.

That presumption has proven far from the reality and the Titans have instead excelled in that area, despite the blue and whites doing a good impression of a last-placed team earlier in the season.

After 14 rounds of play, the Bulldogs enjoyed just three wins, a duo of embarrassing hidings at the hands of the Dragons and a thumping from the Warriors in the opening round.

There were consistent barks and howls emanating from the kennel with many whispering that Pay had immense problems with communication and was finding it difficult to articulate his messages to players.

Moreover, fans were mystified at some of his selections. Young star Lachlan Lewis spent numerous weeks in Canterbury Cup, Nick Meaney was shifted out to the wing after impressing at fullback before the arrival of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and the hooking battle between Michael Lichaa and Jeremy Marshall-King became something rather odd, as Pay consistently chopped and changed between them.

All the while, Kieran Foran threatened to make a significant impact before succumbing three times to annoying injuries and young Jack Cogger took over a key role in the halves with the coach clearly looking towards the future.

Whilst many in the Bulldogs’ faithful felt the coach had gone barking mad; potentially suffering the effects of the thousands of scrums he packed into in a 184-game NRL career, they don’t think that now.

For the Bulldogs, something has clicked. The hard work has begun to pay off and they are roaring home. Most impressive is the fact that the five recent wins from their last seven matches have come against teams in the frantic chase for top eight positions.

The Sharks were the first victim in the resurgence, followed by Brown’s Knights, the Panthers, Tigers and last week saw a superb victory over the Rabbitohs. Even the powerful Roosters struggled to put the Dogs away at ANZ Stadium in Round 19.

In the cut-throat world of NRL coaching, Dean Pay has his head above water for the time being. Paul McGregor, Stephen Kearney and Paul Green are treading water and Nathan Brown has been well and truly submerged.

Des Hasler, Anthony Seibold and Brad Arthur have bought themselves more time in season 2019 and Craig Bellamy remains peerless at the top of the tree.

The fine line between success and failure sees coaches dumped regularly and this time around it is Brown’s turn. In a few weeks, it will someone else yet probably not Dean Pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I had Knights finishing 10th this year. The problem the Knights are having tho is they go on runs of wins/losses. They aren't consistent week to week. Ponga Five-eighth was dumb and they needed to decide whether Watson is a 6, 9 or utility and stick with it. Klemmer is a forward similar to Tolman where after half way he's almost useless. Everyone on the field needs to be a threat in front of the try line (e.g. Taupau, Fonua-Blake builds/ability). Also their backs aren't the best. Lee being out has hurt them a lot tho. Not playing Ramien is also questionable.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can we pump the breaks on the Pay celebration a little. The last few weeks have been a major step in the right direction but lets not lose sight of the overall picture.

Pay has actually made a rod for his own back now as he has raised expectations some what for next year.

I'd love nothing more then for the team to keep improving as it is and challenge stronger for the 8 next season that's the real test.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Brown took Newcastle as far as he could. He's made some decent signings and certainly left the joint in better shape than when he inherited it. Their fans have been very patient.

With Pay at this point in time it's just a repeat of last year. Going into this year we had wins at the back end of last season and most thought it was going to be a better year.

There are a few signing coming our way, we've got read of some deadwood and the new players (Meaney, Cogger etc) will have another season under their belt.

The first 10 rounds next year make or break Pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Brown took Newcastle as far as he could. He's made some decent signings and certainly left the joint in better shape than when he inherited it. Their fans have been very patient.

With Pay at this point in time it's just a repeat of last year. Going into this year we had wins at the back end of last season and most thought it was going to be a better year.

There are a few signing coming our way, we've got read of some deadwood and the new players (Meaney, Cogger etc) will have another season under their belt.

The first 10 rounds next year make or break Pay.
We lost a few key players too. Morris boys and Klemmer.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like it or not it's a good comparison as the feeling in the kennel has been either we don't have the cattle or the coaching is crap.

Our current form has to be credited a bit to both I think.

The players are certainly having a real go and there has been a change in our defense attitude.

Whether you are pro or anti Pay, the playing group appears to be responding to the coaching direction and "staff" and also some of the recent team selections appear better (although you will never please everyone).

I think the real test will be how we compare in the 1st 10 rounds 2020. I will be stoked if we just keep winning.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we make the 8 in 2020 looking at the team the late season surge is not like last year the vibes different this year there’s been a change I see a lot of the 90s bulldogs steel in the team

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow Knights fans are patient 4 years of mediocrity. We are still in year 2 calling for his head. Still Pay's selections have me scratching my head. Time will tell I guess early next year.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we make the 8 in 2020 looking at the team the late season surge is not like last year the vibes different this year there’s been a change I see a lot of the 90s bulldogs steel in the team
Yep, it's a little different to last year's run. This year it's got a real feel that the palyers are growing in maturity and got a bit of that Bulldog steel and toughness.
This year we're winning against better teams. Last year we finished on 18 points, this year we are already on 18 points with another three games to go.

I also want to add that our recruitment has been much better. Not perfect, but much much better.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. Very different form this year. We are not just throwing the ball around it will hoping to score points like last year. This time around it is more composed. We are more controlled, and we are winning games off the back of good defense. So imo it is coincidental that we are winning games at the same time as last year, as this year it is for different reasons.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our defence has improved slightly combined with the arrival of DWZ has seen us jag a few wins.
Teams have played poorly against us and also lost players in matches due to injury and we've defended well.
Our attacking structures are still non existent and we've still only won 14 games in almost 2 years.
Pay hasn't suddenly turned into the messiah ffs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Six weeks ago I'd lost patience with Pay and pretty much thought he should go at the end of the year. I like Pay but just thought he hadn't developed the young guys enough and I couldn't see any structure in attack. I'm still not seeing much in those areas, but the spirit in defence has been outstanding and that's where good teams start. I jumped the gun a bit with Pay but I just hope there is some ability in there to develop our attack and the young guys. He deserves to begin next season but another poor start would have to end it.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, it's a little different to last year's run. This year it's got a real feel that the palyers are growing in maturity and got a bit of that Bulldog steel and toughness.
This year we're winning against better teams. Last year we finished on 18 points, this year we are already on 18 points with another three games to go.

I also want to add that our recruitment has been much better. Not perfect, but much much better.
We are just missing clay priest

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our defence has improved slightly combined with the arrival of DWZ has seen us jag a few wins.
Teams have played poorly against us and also lost players in matches due to injury and we've defended well.
Our attacking structures are still non existent and we've still only won 14 games in almost 2 years.
Pay hasn't suddenly turned into the messiah ffs
I don't think anyone other than a few usual suspects are suggesting Pay is a messiah..

But I think there is a bit of better moral amongst supporters that there has been signs of improvement.

Fuck, a win is a win and 5 from 7 is good and 8 from 10 would be even better, even if the other teams play poorly, fuck them.