Official Dean Pay "They are all fighting for a spot in the team".

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I think only Rhyse Martin is off contract so I not sure what it means for him.
Off contract 2019, from memory, may need updating;
Brown
Fualalo
Harper
Lichaa
Martin
Okunbor
Saddler
Tualau
Katoa (Development Player)

Go Dogs

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Although I'd prefer to see CHN in the back row, I certainly think there's merit in the suggestion that he could line up at centre in Round 1.

We've got a wealth of quality options to cover 2RF, but very thin at centre. CHN has done well there when required in the past and he'll sure as hell be doing some work at centre in the pre-season. From the look of the recent photos of him in training he's got that tall and strong yet very lean build that many of the best modern centres possess. Would not surprise me in the slightest if he's named at centre come Round 1.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
CHN has only played 3 games at centre in his career (all in 2018).

Scored 3 tries over 2 games in that position. One against us (ironically) and two against Titans.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/27/match-highlights-panthers-v-bulldogs---round-8-2018/
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/15/panthers-move-to-2nd-after-big-win-over-titans/

More interesting is that Crichton plays outside CHN on same side of field.

If that's what Pay is thinking:

1. Hoppa / Meaney
2. Smith
3. CHN
4. Holland
5. Crichton

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scored 3 tries over 2 games in that position. One against us (ironically) and two against Titans.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/27/match-highlights-panthers-v-bulldogs---round-8-2018/
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/15/panthers-move-to-2nd-after-big-win-over-titans/

1. Hoppa / Meaney
2. Smith
3. CHN
4. Holland
5. Crichton
CHN has the raw talent to make a centre but if this was the case for round one you would hope he was spending the pre-season training there. It’s hard to guage from the training pics where he has been training . if I had to guess it looks like the Backrow

Last edited by a moderator:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I Dont see Hoppa being left out, and hope to see Meaney get Fullback. Its why we signed him.
Cant split Holland and Smith up either.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Dont see Hoppa being left out, and hope to see Meaney get Fullback. Its why we signed him.
Cant split Holland and Smith up either.
For sure I think there is only a wing spot up for grabs in the backline and the rest is pretty much sorted.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Hoppa / Meaney
2. Smith
3. CHN
4. Holland
5. Crichton
I would have to think that Holland and Smith will be sided together for their attacking combinations.
It is then hard to figure out what to do with the fullback position.
Despite what many say about Hoppa and his lack of speed is true, he is a rock at fullback for the most part and he has silky hands/passing in attack.
That said, for a long time, we have lacked someone with some speed and spark to be running through the middle of tired forward through offloads or outside-inside passing.
Meaney may have this ability and no doubt, he was signed as a fullback.
Tough decision.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Off contract 2019, from memory, may need updating;
Brown
Fualalo
Harper
Lichaa
Martin
Okunbor
Saddler
Tualau
Katoa (Development Player)

Go Dogs
There isn't many there that will free up much cap space if they go.

Some of them are really going to have to pull their finger out to earn a new deal.

I'd only be wanting to keep Martin and Harper at the minute and wait to see what the others do during the year.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There isn't many there that will free up much cap space if they go.
Some of them are really going to have to pull their finger out to earn a new deal.
I'd only be wanting to keep Martin and Harper at the minute and wait to see what the others do during the year.
Rough maths indicates that we may have some Salary Cap space currently available. Lichaa is on decent money, his original contract was 3 years @ $1m, I'd guess similar for his extension. I'd suspect that Brown, Fualalo and Tualau are on more than the NRL minimum and if we, say, allocate the minimum to the rest of the off contract players that means around $2m of cap space free at the end of next year.

My view is, by deliberate contract timing, I would want around 1/4 to 1/3 of my cap space available each year. At $9.6m total that means between $2.4m and $3.2m available, aside from TPA's, loyalty and other cap allowances. Based on that we are fairly close to what I would consider the minimum I'd want freed up for next year, just my opinion of course.

Go Dogs

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would have to think that Holland and Smith will be sided together for their attacking combinations.
It is then hard to figure out what to do with the fullback position.
Despite what many say about Hoppa and his lack of speed is true, he is a rock at fullback for the most part and he has silky hands/passing in attack.
That said, for a long time, we have lacked someone with some speed and spark to be running through the middle of tired forward through offloads or outside-inside passing.
Meaney may have this ability and no doubt, he was signed as a fullback.
Tough decision.

I would have to think that Holland and Smith will be sided together for their attacking combinations

Okay but what about Holland’s shit Defense when he single handedly loses us matches?

Plus his attack isn’t really that good.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have to think that Holland and Smith will be sided together for their attacking combinations
Okay but what about Holland’s shit Defense when he single handedly loses us matches?
Centres and wingers can be made to look pretty ordinary in defence by those inside of them. Things like not holding the line, rushing up, not sliding in defence, allowing offloads, poor reads etc. The problem with Holland (and our other centres) is that they will always be compared to JMoz, who was one of the, if not the, best defensive centres ever. A extemely high standard to have to match. The team as whole needs to step up their defence, work as a team. But that said we were far from the worst last season (9th in points conceded) and with a full season or working on it I expect them to be even better this season.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Cmon he finished the year as a top line Centre in the league as stats are concerned with how many games played there.
He cops a lot of crap for a bloke that’s been moved around now finally found a spot. Has a decent winger to work with now. Give him a chance to see how it turns out, going off back end of last year looks promising.
Agree wasn’t too crash hot early on but impressed

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holland and Smith, or Holland and Crichton?

Either way if Holland is giving good ball to either points should result.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
1. Hopoate
2. Crighton
3. CHN
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Napa
9. Lichaa
10. Sue
11. Rfm
12. Martin
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Fualalo
16. Elliot
17. Toomaga

Our forward pack is looking the goods.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Hopoate
2. Crighton
3. CHN
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Napa
9. Lichaa
10. Sue
11. Rfm
12. Martin
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Fualalo
16. Elliot
17. Toomaga

Our forward pack is looking the goods.
There is no way tolman wont be in the starting side

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So we can lose ogden or renouf to another club. I respect tolman but I think we need to look to the future.
Ogden and To'omaga need to fine tune in NSW Cup this year, but will be fringe NRL covering injuries.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way tolman wont be in the starting side
I think we should try Chris smith the ex rooster at the centre position left by jmoz.
Geez this kid can motor.
Leave CHN on the edges