News Dean Pay says Bulldogs should have signed Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Dean Pay says Bulldogs should have signed Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall

Dean Pay has opened up on the pain of watching the Bulldogs struggle, revealing the missed signing that could have made a huge difference.

Paul Crawley

Dean Pay gets no joy out of seeing Canterbury fail without him, and directs no anger at Trent Barrett.

But what Pay can’t hide is his raw honesty, which is just in his DNA.

And the former Bulldogs coach has opened up about why not bringing back Josh Reynolds to the club last year was the wrong call in his opinion.

Pay revealed how he told the club at the time: “Kids aren’t going to f***ing learn standing behind the goal posts”.

We called Pay this week to get his take on how life at the Bulldogs has started without him in 2021.

With Canterbury the only NRL team winless after six rounds, they now take on Cronulla on Saturday staring down the barrel of equalling the club’s worst ever start to a season.

When Pay was punted Bulldogs fans were led to believe the worst was behind them.

Yet if anything the performances so far have gone backwards.

Not that Pay was about to throw stones because he knows exactly how soul destroying it would be for everyone involved, especially the young players who are at such a vulnerable time in their careers.

Pay also talked with a touch of sadness about watching a warrior like Josh Jackson constantly push his body to the brink for so little recognition or reward.

As for what it must be like for struggling young halves Kyle Flanagan and Jake Averillo, Pay can see the pressure building with each loss.

“It drains the life out of those kids,” he said.

That was set way back in 1964 when they lost their first seven games.

But that is also why Pay then reflected on a conversation he had about this time last year when he wanted to bring back Reynolds from Wests Tigers.

“I tried to get Reynolds back there for $100,000-a-year,” Pay continued.

“And they said, ‘No, don’t do it, we want to keep going with our kids’.

“And I said, ‘Well, your kids aren’t going to f***ing learn standing behind the goal posts.

“You have to get some competitive blokes there that want to f***ing win. Teach them how to win’.”

Which is exactly why Benji Marshall would also have been a good pick-up this year for minimum wage given the Bulldogs had let Kieran Foran go.

“100 per cent,” Pay agreed.

“At least he is going to give these blokes some confidence.”

When Pay was handed the reins at Canterbury the club’s salary cap was in disarray, with a stack of players on big back-ended contracts.

But as soon as blue skies appeared on the horizon in respect to having a clean slate to start building again, Pay was sent packing.

Looking back now, he can also pinpoint the exact moment his hopes of surviving long enough to build success pretty much came to a grinding halt.

“The back-end of the year before (2019) we won eight out of 10 games and you could see the confidence and the belief in just the way they walked around the place,” he recalled.

Then at the start of 2020 the Bulldogs went for a pre-season trip to Port Macquarie and Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor became embroiled in a sex scandal that led to both players being deregistered.

“And that just knocked the guts out of them,” Pay recalled.

“We had to start again.

“The players weren’t keen to let them go either, so I had to sort of mend a rift.

“But it was just one thing after another.”

In the end Pay knew he was fighting a losing battle.

He says he’s now doing some work in the building game and driving machinery.

Asked if he’d ever want to get back into coaching, he cracked up laughing at first.

But eventually he answered the question sincerely: “If there was an opportunity come up I’d look at it. But at the end of the day it is what it is.”

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's time to bring back Deano

Pay wanted to sign experienced first graders. Barrett is following the Seibold blueprint of overhyping young players.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see his point and he has a right to express it.

But Reynolds and Benji are hardly modern day winners. They we’re both at a club that hasn’t played finals since 2011.

Had it been a half from a winning side his argument holds more weight.

As a side note though if he was regarded as a coach he wouldn’t be working construction

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hang on is this the same Dean Pay that was banging on about the need to get 50 games into these same kids and we would see improvement?
"Well, your kids aren’t going to f***ing learn standing behind the goal posts" is how he really felt. A bit hard to come out and say that in the media.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Well, your kids aren’t going to f***ing learn standing behind the goal posts" is how he really felt. A bit hard to come out and say that in the media.
He was a big part of the reason they were standing behind the posts. I’m glad he’s on a work site and no where near the coaches box.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can see his point and he has a right to express it.

But Reynolds and Benji are hardly modern day winners. They we’re both at a club that hasn’t played finals since 2011.

Had it been a half from a winning side his argument holds more weight.

As a side note though if he was regarded as a coach he wouldn’t be working construction
Reynolds for 100k at the time and for what we needed (and who he is to the Bulldogs) was a F'ing bargain. Even if it was just for the short term.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We wouldn't have got Burton if Pay was still coach.
Barrett more attractive coach to play for 100% (looks better, talks better in the media, had the Panthers attacking coach card), but results wise no different to Pay, if anything you could argue worse. I think Pay was hard done by, but it's done with now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe but I’m sure he would get a lot more out of them then Pay would have.
Yeah a 5-10% increase is really going to be significant. When we have the roster we have we're never going to get the best coach in the NRL, or anyone close to it. There's nothing wrong with either coaches, it's the roster.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You dont think they would offer more to our team thean flanagan?