Official Dean Pay quits

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When the fuck is the club going to come out and actually communicate wtf is going on?

Malla

Reaction score
eh, we clearly have the worst spine in the league. with our 1m dollar man on the sidelines for half of it (which was a problem waaay before oay was coaching). The development of players i agree with, little things like support play has been non existent which should be getting banged into them. But this whole saga has been a mess and that's the board's fault
Our spine is pretty shit, I agree - but no worse than Titans? They have Graham who couldnt run a bath, some newbie half from QLD cup, a 4th choice hooker and Corey Thompson at fullback.

Agree the board are probably majority to blame. But lets not pretend Pay is a good coach. He has all these ready made excuses for him. He just doesn't cut it.

Malla

Reaction score
There'll certainly be some players unhappy.

Those who chose their position like Reimis Smith, others that didn't put in the required effort and some that might be shown the door.

Hopefully if the right coach is chosen we won't see that crap anymore.
Could not give a rats about Smith and anyone else who doesn't like this decision. We need a coach with the balls to call a spade a spade and put players in the positions they should be in.

Ie. DWZ is a winger. Smith is a winger. Jackson is a lock. Tolman is a retiree in waiting.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought our run at the back of last year was somewhat magical and brilliant. We just figured out how to own without scoring points and there was something magic about it. That was Pay. I just wish it continued to this year. What happened?
The 6-again rule. Our run last year was significantly dependent on slowing the ptb. Take that out without changing the way we play is a big part of our current position

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/bdbdd4a98f5e55ae3db0bafe3a08e277

Dean Pay is set to quit the clubSource: Getty Images
Dean Pay has quit as Bulldogs coach with the team stranded in bottom place on the NRL ladder, according to reports.

Pay’s fate was set to be decided at a phone hook-up today and it looks as though last weekend’s loss to the Broncos was his last in charge.

Channel Nine claim that Pay, who has won just one game this season, has walked rather than be pushed.

It is expected that the club will make an official announcement on Tuesday.

Barrett’s spell at Manly was not short of controversy, but it was the view of the NRL360 panel that he would have learned from his mistakes.

“He’s running Penrith’s attack,” The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent explained.

“Last year Penrith couldn't score and Barrett’s turned up this year and just reinvigorated their attack.

“I tell you my concern, there’s no doubt he knows his footy but the concern is that when he didn't have the infrastructure around him at manly and I don't know if he’s really going to get it at Canterbury.

Aiden Tolman of the Bulldogs and his team mates look dejected after conceding a trySource: Getty Images
ROUND 9 WRAP: The famous name Raiders should sign after Hodgson injury

VOSSY’S VERDICT: Slap on the wrist that won’t stop ugly NRL trend from continuing

STILL CLASSY: McGregor’s response to critics who called for his head after Manly win

“The issue won’t be his football coaching. Des (Hasler – current Manly coach) has the ability to coach the minutiae of the playing structure and all that but also handle all the salary cap and all the personalities and tells the CEO how they’re going to do things.

“There’s no doubt that Barrett will have learned from his experience at Manly and then having had the year away.”

Fox League’s chief reporter James Hooper made that point that Barrett, unlike Pay, would have a full salary cap to spend.

“He’s got a $3m chequebook to go into the market, but he has also got factionalism left right and centre,” Hooper said.
I feel sorry for him as well, he was left with a rabble of a team and the board left him in the lurch, also I hope Barrett gets rid of some of the player's who don't give 100% every game!!!

Reactions: ATT

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So whos going to coach the team this weekend?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Waiting for an announcement.!!

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Our spine is pretty shit, I agree - but no worse than Titans? They have Graham who couldnt run a bath, some newbie half from QLD cup, a 4th choice hooker and Corey Thompson at fullback.

Agree the board are probably majority to blame. But lets not pretend Pay is a good coach. He has all these ready made excuses for him. He just doesn't cut it.
I mean it's bottom 2, and some of the complaints i had with pay, i had with hasler as well. He probably isn't a good coach, but i think it's too early to completely write him off and probably deserves a better situation to have another shot at (not a title contender).

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to understand why the media has backed Pay here?

Nobody has even bothered to look at his coaching record? The players he has brought in? The development of players while playing for us? End of the day, I get that he inherited a tough situation, but he knew that before he came on. Why is he now portrayed as a media darling? Look at our roster on paper - it really is not that bad, it definitely is not a team that should be at the bottom of the ladder with 1 win. Look at some of the other teams in the 8 at the moment and our team on paper are better.

Yes the board is partly to blame, but I feel like because the board has shun the media out of all this, they have resorted to backing Pay.

Seriously dude, which teams in the 8 have a worse roster than us???

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Could not give a rats about Smith and anyone else who doesn't like this decision. We need a coach with the balls to call a spade a spade and put players in the positions they should be in.

Ie. DWZ is a winger. Smith is a winger. Jackson is a lock. Tolman is a retiree in waiting.
100% was just funny that certain Pay apologist thought players would be upset.

I hope a few players are also shown the exit sign like Holland and attempts are made to shop some around like Napa.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to understand why the media has backed Pay here?

Nobody has even bothered to look at his coaching record? The players he has brought in? The development of players while playing for us? End of the day, I get that he inherited a tough situation, but he knew that before he came on. Why is he now portrayed as a media darling? Look at our roster on paper - it really is not that bad, it definitely is not a team that should be at the bottom of the ladder with 1 win. Look at some of the other teams in the 8 at the moment and our team on paper are better.

Yes the board is partly to blame, but I feel like because the board has shun the media out of all this, they have resorted to backing Pay.
Because the media love to bag the dogs same reason they describe Elliot as our “most consistent player for the past 3 years” when he was hardly an nrl player before this year it suits their narrative and they don’t want to see the club do well I feel bad for pay somewhat but all he had to do was show some signs of improvement and develop some new talent to get through to the years when we had cash and he couldn’t do it the way we’ve played this year almost left the club without a choice. The media was bagging the dogs for dragging the decision out then they make the decision and they bag that too

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If they say Georgallis is the interim coach then I don't think we have signed Barrett? I don't see anyone from the Dogs or Penruff standing in the way for Barrett to come in tomorrow and take over. We are not silly enough to sign our next coach to a 1 1/2 year deal it would be at least 3 years with a lot of performance-based stuff in there.

I think we have signed someone for next year but its all hush hush...maybe Benett?