Gilded
Reaction score
Dean Pay to step down as Bulldogs Head Coach
Author
bulldogs.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 14 Jul 2020, 09:55 AM
Share on social media
Dean Pay will step down from his role as Head Coach of the Bulldogs immediately after both parties agreed that it was in the best interests of the individual and the club to part ways.

The decision was reached after a meeting between Dean and the club following Saturday's loss to the Broncos.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill thanked Pay for his contribution over the past three seasons:

"These situations are always tough, particularly when they involve someone who has been part of the Bulldogs family for a long time. The fact is though that the Club and Dean have decided that we needed to move in a different direction to take the team forward and Dean was in agreement that now was the right time for both parties to part ways.

We did not rush into this decision and have taken our time to look at what was best for the club in regard to success moving forward.

I'd like to thank Dean for his contribution over the past three years and all the hard work and passion he has given to the club.

Dean Pay expressed his thanks to the club for the opportunity to coach back at Belmore :

"I'd like to thank the Bulldogs for the opportunity to be the Head Coach at a club that has always meant so much to me.

Steve Georgallis will act as interim Head Coach until an appointment is made.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/bdbdd4a98f5e55ae3db0bafe3a08e277

Dean Pay is set to quit the clubSource: Getty Images
Dean Pay has quit as Bulldogs coach with the team stranded in bottom place on the NRL ladder, according to reports.

Pay’s fate was set to be decided at a phone hook-up today and it looks as though last weekend’s loss to the Broncos was his last in charge.

Channel Nine claim that Pay, who has won just one game this season, has walked rather than be pushed.

It is expected that the club will make an official announcement on Tuesday.

Barrett’s spell at Manly was not short of controversy, but it was the view of the NRL360 panel that he would have learned from his mistakes.

“He’s running Penrith’s attack,” The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent explained.

“Last year Penrith couldn't score and Barrett’s turned up this year and just reinvigorated their attack.

“I tell you my concern, there’s no doubt he knows his footy but the concern is that when he didn't have the infrastructure around him at manly and I don't know if he’s really going to get it at Canterbury.

Aiden Tolman of the Bulldogs and his team mates look dejected after conceding a trySource: Getty Images
ROUND 9 WRAP: The famous name Raiders should sign after Hodgson injury

VOSSY’S VERDICT: Slap on the wrist that won’t stop ugly NRL trend from continuing

STILL CLASSY: McGregor’s response to critics who called for his head after Manly win

“The issue won’t be his football coaching. Des (Hasler – current Manly coach) has the ability to coach the minutiae of the playing structure and all that but also handle all the salary cap and all the personalities and tells the CEO how they’re going to do things.

“There’s no doubt that Barrett will have learned from his experience at Manly and then having had the year away.”

Fox League’s chief reporter James Hooper made that point that Barrett, unlike Pay, would have a full salary cap to spend.

“He’s got a $3m chequebook to go into the market, but he has also got factionalism left right and centre,” Hooper said.

edit 10am 14/7//20

Last edited by a moderator:

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
HAHAHAH i actually feel sorry for him though... T Barrett isn't going to do wonders.... Our board must be stirring the plot with the fans

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well if they have signed Barrett and it cant somehow be reversed, I will be the new negative naysayer or whatever the fuck it is because it is an absolute joke. Fucking Anderson's have lost me and that makes me sad and angry and the same time.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not entirely unhappy with this outcome.

Next step will be interesting

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we to believe that the club has only now started to send out feelers about a new coach? We've only contacted Penrith and Barrett today? Nah. If you ask me we've already got someone lined up and I don't think it's Barret.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
See ya Deano. Thanks for the memories your time will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Can’t see the eels poaching you this time !!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
#PaysPets, PLEASE step on up, an tell us your thoughts ? The time has come.. and I for one am SO eager to Hear what you think.!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's about time. He was lucky to get the job in the first place let alone last two and a half seasons. I'm sure all the Pay sob stories will be printed now and he'll become a martyr even though his record is god awful... Anyway, thank fuck it's over.

Barrett is a questionable choice but at least he's a modern day attacking coach who is sound tactically and can communicate with players. If he can bring Burton, Crichton and other talented youngsters with him then that would be a huge bonus.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you ask me we've already got someone lined up and I don't think it's Barret.
Most of our signings have been kept really quiet so I’m curious to see who we appoint as coach and see if the media had a clue or not

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He shouldnt have been in the job from the start, he had a shit roster and I feel bad for him but at the end of the day this roster is capable of more than just one win out of nine, he simply had to go.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
See ya Deano. Thanks for the memories your time will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Can’t see the eels poaching you this time !!
How funny if they did!!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well if they have signed Barrett and it cant somehow be reversed, I will be the new negative naysayer or whatever the fuck it is because it is an absolute joke. Fucking Anderson's have lost me and that makes me sad and angry and the same time.
What is it that you hate the most about Baz, Baz?