News Dean Pay pleads for Bulldogs fans' faith as club eagerly seek roster improvements

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am the first to agree that Pay has potentially the worse roster in the league. I would be willing to give him as go with his new roster, if he showed some ability with a bad roster. There are deficiencies that do not relate high price cattle.
* hooker never moves forward bringing his forward line with him. Or creates any opportunities. Simply pass the ball & tackle & your job is done.
* Bulldogs lose 10-20 meters nearly every set compared to opposition. Why because they simply tuck the ball from a simple pass from the dummy. Easy to defend, Does not create fatigue in defence lines & creates higher defense load. No variation to create doubt in defensive line.
* offloads are banned or else it will effect our completion rate. Team's that beat us usually have similar or worse completion rate, so this is an excuse.
* can't believe how many kicks or bombs are uncontested. I see many times players jogging after the ball. What practice goes into this crucial part of the game so our bombs are contested.
* Foran our $MILLION player is on walk a bout for half the game. Unable to get more quality minutes from our Gun player. What happens with the next big signing.
* players improve season over season. No explaination needed here.... JMK, Lewis, Cogger, Meaney etc

Bottomline I accept being beaten by a better quality team, hate being beaten a better coached team. If Pay wants to get a Gig with a better rostered team, then at least put into place some structure that will define the team in coming seasons.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I am the first to agree that Pay has potentially the worse roster in the league. I would be willing to give him as go with his new roster, if he showed some ability with a bad roster. There are deficiencies that do not relate high price cattle.
* hooker never moves forward bringing his forward line with him. Or creates any opportunities. Simply pass the ball & tackle & your job is done.
* Bulldogs lose 10-20 meters nearly every set compared to opposition. Why because they simply tuck the ball from a simple pass from the dummy. Easy to defend, Does not create fatigue in defence lines & creates higher defense load. No variation to create doubt in defensive line.
* offloads are banned or else it will effect our completion rate. Team's that beat us usually have similar or worse completion rate, so this is an excuse.
* can't believe how many kicks or bombs are uncontested. I see many times players jogging after the ball. What practice goes into this crucial part of the game so our bombs are contested.
* Foran our $MILLION player is on walk a bout for half the game. Unable to get more quality minutes from our Gun player. What happens with the next big signing.
* players improve season over season. No explaination needed here.... JMK, Lewis, Cogger, Meaney etc

Bottomline I accept being beaten by a better quality team, hate being beaten a better coached team. If Pay wants to get a Gig with a better rostered team, then at least put into place some structure that will define the team in coming seasons.
Yeah, that’s a good call on our hooker, Grant shows us how it’s done last night, a lot of his passes went 2-3 players wide of the ruck, it just opened up our middle.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay admits it is critical the Bulldogs sign "three to four" top players to help lift the club out of its current slump after another dour loss on Sunday to the Tigers.

Pay has urged Bulldogs fans to stick tight following Sunday's 28-point belting, promising greener pastures ahead as the club continue their quest to bolster their playing roster.

Sunday's 34-6 loss ensured Pay's side remain at the bottom of the ladder, with their attacking woes and defensive frailties again making for a frustrating night at Bankwest Stadium.

The club will earn some reprieve this week when new recruit Luke Thompson arrives at Belmore after a two-week quarantine in Melbourne.

Having signed the English international from 2021 onwards, Canterbury managed to fast-track his arrival after agreeing to an early release with former club St. Helens.

A premiership winner with the Saints, Pay admits Thompson's arrival comes at a much-needed time.

"He's a really quality player," the Bulldogs coach described his new recruit.

"... He's an international, he's won premierships in the Super League. He's a fit guy and he's got plenty of leg speed so we're very hopeful."

Pay remains unsure whether Thompson will be ready to hit the paddock immediately ahead of the Bulldogs' clash against the Rabbitohs on Sunday.

He'll have a week of training. He hasn't run for two weeks, he's been stuck in a hotel room. We'll assess him this week and see how he is," Pay said.

"He hasn't run for quite a while, so if he's ready he's ready if he's not we'll give him another week."

Among a handful of other NRL coaches, Pay's future has remained in question throughout the season.

The club great remains resilient despite the ongoing speculation surrounding his job, but admits he needs the help of some new talent on his roster.

"We've already said we want to put in two or three real quality players in around our young guys and that's how we're going to improve," he pleaded.

That's what we need to do, that's where we need to head to."

The club have been heavily linked to wantaway Raiders star John Bateman, while reports midweek revealed they were also chasing his Canberra teammate Nick Cotric along with Tigers' hooker Harry Grant, who ironically tore the Bulldogs apart on Sunday.

Pay hinted new signings were on the horizon for the embattled club, revealing negotiations were currently ongoing behind the scenes.

"Hopefully, they'll make a difference to what our team is, I'm sure they will," Pay said of the club's pursuit of new talent.

"[We need to] keep bringing these young blokes along, keep playing [them].

"It wasn't where we needed to be tonight but these young guys, it's another learning curve for them."
We can't believe all the rumours but...
According to one I heard, we approached a certain hooker who agreed to join us but changed his mined after he was told " he would have to play second fiddle to JMK "
The other rumour is we are refusing to pay the extra needed to entice the players we desperately need
Imagine we tell this group of players to play second fiddle
Cotric to Holland
Baitmen to Britt
Fifita to Elliott
Grant to JMK
Imagine we tell them we aren't paying more because we are THE CANTERBURY BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You plead for patience...

The only thing we plead for is your sacking you useless muppet Deano!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a good call on our hooker, Grant shows us how it’s done last night, a lot of his passes went 2-3 players wide of the ruck, it just opened up our middle.
We had an Origin hooker and let him go....

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pay would coach the Roosters out of the 8 seriously

Achilles

Back to Belmore
Reaction score
We are like Souths in the early 2000. Nobody good wanted to join them. They could only sign old players. There first good buy at his prime was Roy Asotasi in 2007. Hopefully Thompson can be the start of our rebuild. But we need a new coach.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are like Souths in the early 2000. Nobody good wanted to join them. They could only sign old players. There first good buy at his prime was Roy Asotasi in 2007. Hopefully Thompson can be the start of our rebuild. But we need a new coach.
Our coach mirrors their useless one at the time too!

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to one I heard, we approached a certain hooker who agreed to join us but changed his mined after he was told " he would have to play second fiddle to JMK "
The other rumour is we are refusing to pay the extra needed to entice the players we desperately need
Cotric to Holland
Baitmen to Britt
Fifita to Elliott
Grant to JMK
Imagine we tell them we aren't paying more because we are THE CANTERBURY BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS
The player in question, wouldn’t by chance be Api Korisau last year doing the backflip on us would it Or are we talking about someone from this year?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had an Origin hooker and let him go....
He’s actually the Australian hooker so pretty much the best in the world after Smith and will have a mortgage on the green and gold 9 jersey for at least the next five years.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. Of all bad decisions letting Cook go was the biggest howler the club has made in decades.
And the thing that irks me the most mate, is the fact that everyone could see it, but because he signed the crab Lichaa, he was just too stubborn to admit the mistake and he let Cook flounder - Rabbitohs pounce and the rest is history.

Clusterfuck of epic proportions...

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the thing that irks me the most mate, is the fact that everyone could see it, but because he signed the crab Lichaa, he was just too stubborn to admit the mistake and he let Cook flounder - Rabbitohs pounce and the rest is history.

Clusterfuck of epic proportions...
The fact that Des thought Lichaa was better than Cook makes me want to throw up

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s actually the Australian hooker so pretty much the best in the world after Smith and will have a mortgage on the green and gold 9 jersey for at least the next five years.
Grant could be better in a few years but yep Cook is a gun.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@TwinTurbo here is your beta cuck.

But keep ignoring it because you have no answer.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay can get fucked as far as I'm concerned, this team has gotten worse under his coaching, the sooner he's gone the better, and that goes for all the under performing highly paid players who find it very easy to talk themselves up but alway's fail to deliver, i.e Napa just recently!!!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric to Holland
Baitmen to Britt
Fifita to Elliott
Grant to JMK
That's the worry - that we pay overs for players we don't really need or are in large supply - props and wingers and yet we're not willing to pay overs for positions we desperately need - hooker. If the rumour about missing out on Grant or Robson for the sake of a measly $50K is true yet the rumours of signing Jackson on $700K is correct, then its clear the board are clueless. I would like to think those rumours are BS but with the way things are going at the moment, the depressing thing is I tend to believe them

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay admits it is critical the Bulldogs sign "three to four" top players to help lift the club out of its current slump after another dour loss on Sunday to the Tigers.

Pay has urged Bulldogs fans to stick tight following Sunday's 28-point belting, promising greener pastures ahead as the club continue their quest to bolster their playing roster.

Sunday's 34-6 loss ensured Pay's side remain at the bottom of the ladder, with their attacking woes and defensive frailties again making for a frustrating night at Bankwest Stadium.

The club will earn some reprieve this week when new recruit Luke Thompson arrives at Belmore after a two-week quarantine in Melbourne.

Having signed the English international from 2021 onwards, Canterbury managed to fast-track his arrival after agreeing to an early release with former club St. Helens.

A premiership winner with the Saints, Pay admits Thompson's arrival comes at a much-needed time.

"He's a really quality player," the Bulldogs coach described his new recruit.

"... He's an international, he's won premierships in the Super League. He's a fit guy and he's got plenty of leg speed so we're very hopeful."

Pay remains unsure whether Thompson will be ready to hit the paddock immediately ahead of the Bulldogs' clash against the Rabbitohs on Sunday.

He'll have a week of training. He hasn't run for two weeks, he's been stuck in a hotel room. We'll assess him this week and see how he is," Pay said.

"He hasn't run for quite a while, so if he's ready he's ready if he's not we'll give him another week."

Among a handful of other NRL coaches, Pay's future has remained in question throughout the season.

The club great remains resilient despite the ongoing speculation surrounding his job, but admits he needs the help of some new talent on his roster.

"We've already said we want to put in two or three real quality players in around our young guys and that's how we're going to improve," he pleaded.

That's what we need to do, that's where we need to head to."

The club have been heavily linked to wantaway Raiders star John Bateman, while reports midweek revealed they were also chasing his Canberra teammate Nick Cotric along with Tigers' hooker Harry Grant, who ironically tore the Bulldogs apart on Sunday.

Pay hinted new signings were on the horizon for the embattled club, revealing negotiations were currently ongoing behind the scenes.

"Hopefully, they'll make a difference to what our team is, I'm sure they will," Pay said of the club's pursuit of new talent.

"[We need to] keep bringing these young blokes along, keep playing [them].

"It wasn't where we needed to be tonight but these young guys, it's another learning curve for them."
I'm so sick of watching a team that once every other team were afraid of, now we are the easy beat's, shut the fuck up Pay after every loss, excuse after excuse, a lot of us have heard enough for way too long, do every one a favour and quit considering you won't be fired!!!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep. Of all bad decisions letting Cook go was the biggest howler the club has made in decades.
Yeah Cook and Finucine really pissed me off though Cook is already on the downward trend even though the new rules should suit him