Dean Pay on NRL360 tonight

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pays reply to kent should have been des had how many years before it worked haha. Melbourne dont lose smith (even though they cheated) he dont win a comp until 2011 when a rookie DCE lifted his side to the next level. Im not Pays biggest fan atm, but Hasler was given time at manly and the dogs and fucked them both in the end.
What Hasler did to us was bordering on criminal. Dont forget he fucked up Manly so much after the 2011 premiership that they had to offload heart and soul players Watmough and Glenn Stewart eventually bcoz Haslers ONLY focus was winning a premiership. Ain't crueled Brett Stewart. He was never the same play player after his brother left.

So it begs the Qn: Do you fuck your future to win a comp this year?Back end everyone so that you have a $12m team competing against $9m teams. Then the next 6 years is carnage...you dont make the finals, you get to play Desball, having spent piss all on junior development and retention the ONLY way you can be competitive is to backend contracts to attract talent again. Hasler is a virus.

Hasler showed no respect for what the cap is trying to do...force clubs to develop their own talent (who will be cheaper contract wise than established players) to stay competitive for longer periods.
As was discussed on NRL tonight...what would Hasler of done with the squad we had last year?...Answer? He solution would of been HIDE....High Intensity Desball Everyweek.

A true Canterbury man in Dean Pay...and watching our young guys grow into their roles as NRL players is my preference to the circus that had been the previous administrations last 3 years.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He spoke very well. I think we all have to be patient.
Some people have to realise its not the middle east where they would kill for less.
Hopefully we sign brailey or robson for next year and maybe have a look for a centre and front rower. Look to england.
Well It's nice to have a coach that knows how to address the Media & makes our Club look like a professional outfit, instead of that mumbling, Bumbling Idiot Hassler. Who always looked like he had a chip on his shoulder with his stupid smart arse comments and made the club look cheap & nasty like a bunch of Yobo Morons, Nice work Deano, Hats of to you. ( That's Hats - not Caps )

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just a summary if you missed it:

Parra game – the score wasn’t representative of real game.

Kieran Foran fantastic few games. Had surgery this afternoon, gone for 10-12 weeks, real blow to team.

Players brought in did well, added enthusiasm. Put Jackson in the middle which helped, That allowed Napa to play more minutes.

Competed with warriors first 20, longer with Parra then better again with tigers – it took 54 minutes for them to score.

Panel wanted to understand cap issues. Asked about the Klemmer/Napa situation. Pay said we saved money because Klemmer was backended and we can channel the savings to younger players. Mbye and Woods exactly the same situation – backended contracts.

Problems until 2021 with backended contracts, won’t happen again with current administration..

Crawley says how do you release players but still have issues. Pay said we have some money to spend but we need to be careful how we spend it.

Pay was asked about the Morris boys – said they were both coming to end career, wanted to go to squad where they could challenge for premiership. Decision to leave was theirs.

To manage salary cap we need to develop players – if other clubs come to poach good players need to have others ready to replace them. Used the Storm as an example of a team who had replacement players for those who leave/retire.

Was asked if the previous board/coach left things in a bad way – Pay said they were creating a window to win a comp, they almost got there but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Crawley defended Hasler – Ikin was asking how the roster would have been able to work going forward. Kent chimed in and also defended Hasler. Kent says he made it work at Manly, lol.

Final say on recruitment is by a committee with 4 or 5 people including Andrew Hill.

Pay was asked if he had players in mind for 2021 – he said we have to target player similar to Ponga, we have to identify that player, he called it a franchise player.

Pay said his contract extension allowed some certainty, would have loved longer.
Good Summary mate. I really like all the noises the club are making. Dean is a good man, he was a classy player on the field and he showed his class last night when they tried baiting him to have a crack at Dib and Hasler and the state they left the clubs salary cap in. He was respectful and showed a lot of class with his answer. I think we have a coach the boys all respect and want to play for and he is the right man going forward.

In regards to all the noises the club is making in regards to the Junior development programmes, links and ties they are making I'm loving it. You can see the board have really done their homework and are doing everything they can to best set up the junior systems so that we have a strong production line coming through.

Finally I think we do have to be patient with Dean this season, I'd love to see kids like Meany, Okunbor, Cogger, Lewis, Harper, Ogden, Smith X 2 get those 40-50 games under their belt so when 2021 comes they are established first graders who are ready to roll with a 'franchise' player in 2021.

Players I see us keeping until 2021; BACKS Meany, Okunbor, Harper, R.Smith, Cogger, Lewis (6) FWDS: C.Smith, Elliot, Jackson (c), C.Smith, R.Martin, Ogden, Napa, Hariwira-Neara (8)
Players gone by 2021; Hoppa, Foran, Holland, Sue, Nu-Brown, Fualalo, Montoya, Tualau, Olive, Lichaa, Tolman
Players playing to stay; JMK, Katoa, To'omaga, Crichton, (signed till 2021) :(
Positions of recruitment in 2021: Prop x 2, Outside backs x 2 and then depth signings.

I'd love to see us go after the likes of Latrell Mitchell and Nick Cotric type players as our Franchise player if Lewis and Cogger have developed well in the halves.

Last edited:

Calibra

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just a summary if you missed it:

Parra game – the score wasn’t representative of real game.

Kieran Foran fantastic few games. Had surgery this afternoon, gone for 10-12 weeks, real blow to team.

Players brought in did well, added enthusiasm. Put Jackson in the middle which helped, That allowed Napa to play more minutes.

Competed with warriors first 20, longer with Parra then better again with tigers – it took 54 minutes for them to score.

Panel wanted to understand cap issues. Asked about the Klemmer/Napa situation. Pay said we saved money because Klemmer was backended and we can channel the savings to younger players. Mbye and Woods exactly the same situation – backended contracts.

Problems until 2021 with backended contracts, won’t happen again with current administration..

Crawley says how do you release players but still have issues. Pay said we have some money to spend but we need to be careful how we spend it.

Pay was asked about the Morris boys – said they were both coming to end career, wanted to go to squad where they could challenge for premiership. Decision to leave was theirs.

To manage salary cap we need to develop players – if other clubs come to poach good players need to have others ready to replace them. Used the Storm as an example of a team who had replacement players for those who leave/retire.

Was asked if the previous board/coach left things in a bad way – Pay said they were creating a window to win a comp, they almost got there but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Crawley defended Hasler – Ikin was asking how the roster would have been able to work going forward. Kent chimed in and also defended Hasler. Kent says he made it work at Manly, lol.

Final say on recruitment is by a committee with 4 or 5 people including Andrew Hill.

Pay was asked if he had players in mind for 2021 – he said we have to target player similar to Ponga, we have to identify that player, he called it a franchise player.

Pay said his contract extension allowed some certainty, would have loved longer.
Thank you for posting this

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to give Newcastle something to sweat about after they bullied us with a full bank account. Suffer in ya jocks Brown you shit stain
We’re due for a big name player in our favour , we’ve been getting good karma as of late facing old team mates, imagine landing a player like Munster , Keary, or even Ponga. I think Latrell Mitchell and minster woukd be the icing on the cake u can build a squad Round these game breakers

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I liked the part after they finished the interview and went to a break. After the break Ikin asked Kent what he thought what Dean Pay had to say. Kent replied that he spoke well and that it would take a bit of time to get back on our feet but we should throw everything at the Trbojevic bros. Ikin replied "Geez, that would go down well with the Manly fans and Kent replied...."look at it as a square up with Des", lol.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look to be honest everybody hates des. Myself included. What he did to the club was ridiculous. But had he won a comp during his 5 years here. Would we all feel the same about him? If we had won a GF in 12 or 14 I think we’d all be a bit different to him. At the end of the day he took a gamble. It worked at Manly. Hence the supporters still love him even though they’ve been fucked since he left. The gamble failed here, hence he’s a ****.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want Kent to be “nice” and not hurt his feelings?
Dean gay is a grown man I’m sure he’ll survive as will you.
Sorry I don’t affiliate myself with homophobic remarks.
Lmfaooooooo you must be one
Like just in the space of a few posts you’ve Managed to contradict yourself at every turn lol.

Sincerely

Dean gay.
Sorry man, but you have completely contradicted yourself while trying to catch someone else out.
I hope that you are better than that. I think you are better than that.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Look to be honest everybody hates des. Myself included. What he did to the club was ridiculous. But had he won a comp during his 5 years here. Would we all feel the same about him? If we had won a GF in 12 or 14 I think we’d all be a bit different to him. At the end of the day he took a gamble. It worked at Manly. Hence the supporters still love him even though they’ve been fucked since he left. The gamble failed here, hence he’s a ****.
We would certainly hate him less, I mean most clubs would be pretty stoked with 1 premiership every 10 or so years.

However I think putting your eggs all in one basket isn't the smartest way to do things. Just look at Melbourne, those ***** are ALWAYS a top team. I would much rather be in it as often as they are, than creating a 2-3 year window where we are in it then copping 8 years where we aren't.

Malla

Reaction score
Honest interview.
Love that he is putting faith and investing in our juniors. Have wanted that for years and we haven’t done any of it since 06.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Things didn't work out with Des, but the reality is there are 15 other rugby league sides (and coaches) striving for the same success every year. The unfortunate side of that is 8 teams miss out on finals footy.

That doesn't mean those 8 sides were shithouse (or coached badly), it just means the other 8 sides were slightly better.

We all know the Dogs will bounceback, and maybe are expecting too much too soon given we've shifted players elsewhere to free up cap.

The reality with Des is he was just doing at the Bulldogs what had worked for him at Manly (sign up whoever for whatever - and try and win a premiership in that window, before having a mass fire sale to avoid a cap breach).

Then you look at sides like Melb, Parra, Sharks, etc who blow the salary cap apart, and are still allowed to benefit from that cap breach by retaining some superstar players.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry man, but you have completely contradicted yourself while trying to catch someone else out.
I hope that you are better than that. I think you are better than that.
Lol where’d my contradiction?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s not talk about non existent things here... I’ve seen shitloads of hate on Hasler before he went back there though and only a handful of people that were willing to welcome him back (not warmly)... manly were extremely desperate

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We would certainly hate him less, I mean most clubs would be pretty stoked with 1 premiership every 10 or so years.

However I think putting your eggs all in one basket isn't the smartest way to do things. Just look at Melbourne, those ***** are ALWAYS a top team. I would much rather be in it as often as they are, than creating a 2-3 year window where we are in it then copping 8 years where we aren't.
their systematic cheating allowed them to do so... allowed so many top liners to stay together, it help build the storm and qld dynasty that rort

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The coach, who as been there for 16 years himself, is good no doubt, but he has had the luxury of the likely future immortals spine of Smith, Cronk and Slater for a decade and a half. Plus once in a generation players like Inglis and Folau to spark the revolving door of role players that fit in around the superstars. It's going to be interesting to see how that team goes when there are none of them left.

Go Dogs