Dean Pay on 2SM

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a simpleton and I definitely don't identify with it ;)

Get that we all want our team to return to the level we were once at ... many years ago. It's what we're all longing for, and all of us have opinions on how to get back to those heights. But just because a person chooses to contructively criticise the team / management taking into account all the factors involved doesn't mean a person thinks we're doing well or that Pay / the Management are the answer. Why is that so hard to understand?

I love the Dogs. Grew up with them. Lived a breathed every game. Saw teams that, let's be honest, really weren't crash hot but somehow kept making the finals and defeating much more fancied rivals. I pretty much expected our team to win the final every year because they showed that they could do anything. Maybe because of that a lot of fans just expect the same now? I don't know.

But it's not all as black or white as so many think it is. We missed out on the 8 last year. A failure. (Personally I think not winning the grand final is a failure but we'll leave that for another time ;)) No one is on here saying that we were successful last year, or the year before or even so far this year. People are just trying to use perspective and look at the whole picture. You can't judge a fighter on losing a boxing match when he's got one arm tied behind his back. Can you?

Am I defending Pay? No! I've said repeatedly I don't think he's the answer, but at the same time any reasonable person has to accept he's been fighting with one hand tied behind his back. Inability to make big signings because of the salary cap. Player misbehaviour before the season started. Losing high profile & experienced players. Key injuries. He hasn't had it easy. And when judging him you need to take that into account, which is what I think that people like @DinkumDog is trying to do.

Has Pay made the right decisions? No. Playing players out of position has really done my head in however at the same time him benching Lewis and starting with Wakeham were two things I never expected for him to do. Especially based on previous years. Positives are there. Has the club got it all right? No. Disappointed in the lack of signings in key positions e.g. hooker. But, they've got rid of some 'deadwood', steadied the ship. There are some positives there.

Is Pay the future? Most likely not. I'd love it if he turns it all around, but I can't help but think he was a stop-gap until someone better came along ... but no one better has come along so we just need to wait until he does!

Now. I'm sure I'll be labelled as a Pay supporter after this as labelling is what so many on here love to do. Can see why people are upset and don't see Pay as the future as I've got the same doubts. But at the same time I ask myself, "Who else could we have at this moment?" and the answer is no one. So, I'll continue to judge Pay for the cards he's got to play with rather than the cards we wish he had to play with.
I think you have given a fair summary of what’s been going on lately to be honest
In regards to dean I’m also not convinced at this point in time and really don’t understand some of his calls in general.
My only expectation for the remainder of this year is accountability by all concerned
If players don’t step up well move them on and the same applies to our coach.
I wish him all the best to succeed but if our season turns to shit our board need to act accordingly.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you have given a fair summary of what’s been going on lately to be honest
In regards to dean I’m also not convinced at this point in time and really don’t understand some of his calls in general.
My only expectation for the remainder of this year is accountability by all concerned
If players don’t step up well move them on and the same applies to our coach.
I wish him all the best to succeed but if our season turns to shit our board need to act accordingly.
Spot on mate. Pay will need to do a lot to earn my trust in him but for now it's in his hands. Hope he proves a majority of people wrong

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on mate. Pay will need to do a lot to earn my trust in him but for now it's in his hands. Hope he proves a majority of people wrong
A fit Foran playing out the remaining rounds will help Pay. ATM he has 3/4 inexperienced kids trying to guide and lead a team of average joe blows to compete and win football games. I'm no pay fan but Foran returning will change a lot of how this team functions.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A fit Foran playing out the remaining rounds will help Pay. ATM he has 3/4 inexperienced kids trying to guide and lead a team of average joe blows to compete and win football games. I'm no pay fan but Foran returning will change a lot of how this team functions.
Completely agree. Love or hate Foran, he should make a massive massive difference to our team.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Completely agree. Love or hate Foran, he should make a massive massive difference to our team.
I know there's a lot who won't agree but personally when fit there's no better leader and organiser at this club. It's sad that his body is giving way but the determination he has shown time and time again to get back and help the team can't be questioned. Yes he has a large chunk of our cap but is it his fault or the bimbos who paid it to him. If this is Forans last season at the Bulldogs then I hope he gets every opportunity to play the remaining games and his body holds up so we can remember him for a little more then sitting on the sidelines.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
@Bad Billy Was that you who called Talkin’ sport yesterday? If so, great call and you are too intelligent for this forum

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’s Lyn?
Once you’re done sacking everyone, who replaces them? That’s probably a bridge too far, eh?
One coach and a 90 year old woman. Can find replacemants at kfc for those two lets be honest now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One coach and a 90 year old woman. Can find replacemants at kfc for those two lets be honest now.
Well you’re about 25 years off with the 90 call. Her name is Lynne, not Lyn and yes, no doubt KFC will provide excellent replacements. Another outstanding post.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: I heard through a certain board member Dean pay is being discussed to extend for 2 years. Just have to make top 8
If we make the 8 with this team, we’ll have to compete with the Christians of the world, ‘cause Jesus couldn't make the 8 with this squad.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you watch us play and think we look like a sharp, professional outfit that is a threat to score points?
We looked dangerous against Parra. In fact we looked a way better side, both in attack and defense, than them and they’re fancied to win the comp.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you’re about 25 years off with the 90 call. Her name is Lynne, not Lyn and yes, no doubt KFC will provide excellent replacements. Another outstanding post.
I new u would bite, u love your lyn

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
if we buy reynolds my backing of pay is gooonnneee