Dean Pay on 2SM

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
hahaha is that it? clutching at straws...

are you sure you are not related to a board member? coz u know how to deflect when you are under fire and taking a lot if damage
No one needs to clutch at anything when (allegedly) under fire from a mental giant like you Godfather :-). Yeah, it’s really hurting - send in reinforcements! :-).

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What lol? ... never mind.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one needs to clutch at anything when (allegedly) under fire from a mental giant like you Godfather :-). Yeah, it’s really hurting - send in reinforcements! :-).
Hey DD, having fun?? Seems like you a sparing with a few friends..?

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
I’m not sure why we have to attack each other - we actually all support the same team . If someone has a different opinion or makes spelling mistakes , let’s not put them down . People’s mental states are at all different levels and this is not the time to be upsetting or attacking people . I have always admired people’s passion on here , but ultimately we are all on the same team regardless of our financial position , culture , or spelling ability!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sure why we have to attack each other - we actually all support the same team . If someone has a different opinion or makes spelling mistakes , let’s not put them down . People’s mental states are at all different levels and this is not the time to be upsetting or attacking people . I have always admired people’s passion on here , but ultimately we are all on the same team regardless of our financial position , culture , or spelling ability!
Fair call mate.
For the record I don’t agree with everything the club does and there’s unquestionably things that can be improved. All members can and should provide feedback. The reality though is there’s so much people don’t see. But hey, haters gonna hate. Better days are ahead :-).

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree. I'm too thick skined to worry about people pointing out spelling errors. Hope you didn't get offended yesterday. Till next time we disagree on something. For the record I'd be ecstatic if Pay and the board prove me wrong. Go the dogs.
Fair call mate.
For the record I don’t agree with everything the club does and there’s unquestionably things that can be improved. All members can and should provide feedback. The reality though is there’s so much people don’t see. But hey, haters gonna hate. Better days are ahead :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree. I'm too thick skined to worry about people pointing out spelling errors. Hope you didn't get offended yesterday. Till next time we disagree on something. For the record I'd be ecstatic if Pay and the board prove me wrong. Go the dogs.
Likewise mate, I’m not offended at all about being told to kiss the board and coaches arse etc - stuff gets said in the heat of the moment and we move on. End of the day we’re on the same team. I don’t necessarily think we’ll see radical improvement in 2020 - but I’ll say this (I don’t claim to know details - never have - the no leaks policy is working well) - there’s been a couple of things that make me genuinely believe a corner will soon be turned. It’s not a naive ‘I’m a sucker take my money’ situation either. If I’m proven wrong by 2021, I’ll be the first to eat my words. Until then, I wish you, your daughter and your cleaner well.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise mate, I’m not offended at all about being told to kiss the board and coaches arse etc - stuff gets said in the heat of the moment and we move on. End of the day we’re on the same team. I don’t necessarily think we’ll see radical improvement in 2020 - but I’ll say this (I don’t claim to know details - never have - the no leaks policy is working well) - there’s been a couple of things that make me genuinely believe a corner will soon be turned. It’s not a naive ‘I’m a sucker take my money’ situation either. If I’m proven wrong by 2021, I’ll be the first to eat my words. Until then, I wish you, your daughter and your cleaner well.
agree to disagree

I like your optimism DD but there is nothing that the club has done that has identified we are on the improve and I certainly will not be singing their praises unless drastic measures are done

we are finally in a position to purchase quality for next year and I fear will we not be able to attract elite players even though we will be flushed with funds. Recruitment dept. is searching but looks like prospective players will give us a wide birth.

I like dean pay but I genuinely believe he is not a 1st grade coach....

another year wasted

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
agree to disagree

I like your optimism DD but there is nothing that the club has done that has identified we are on the improve and I certainly will not be singing their praises unless drastic measures are done

we are finally in a position to purchase quality for next year and I fear will we not be able to attract elite players even though we will be flushed with funds. Recruitment dept. is searching but looks like prospective players will give us a wide birth.

another year wasted
No-one has suggested singing praises - I don't either. Nor have I or would ever accept mediocrity.
My message all along has simply been 'stay the course' while the damage was repaired and we are almost there with that.
Just because several specifics haven't been revealed yet doesn't mean nothing is happening - end of story.
re: Pay, it's nothing to do whether he's a nice bloke or has 'Bulldogs DNA' or not. Simple fact is we had little choice when he joined and there's not a lot of alternatives right now.
I'm happy to leave it there and see what unfolds for 2021. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll be back to say 'told you so' and that's fine - I'll eat humble pie then. For now, the pie stays in the freezer.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
agree to disagree

another year wasted
Thompson is a pretty solid signing. Untested in the NRL, but I think he'll be good. And with uncertainty about the salary cap next year I think it might not be a bad idea to hold out long enough to see if some clubs are going to need to release talent. If we rush to make signings based on the idea that the salary cap will be back to normal next year we may be overpaying drastically if it drops by a million dollars or even half that. I'm not saying it will, just that there is uncertainty. We're in a shot position still because the old board acted in haste before knowing what the cap was set at.

But overall these discussions have been done to death. Anyone still having these discussions with the expectation of universal agreement of everyone on here on their point of view is deluded or just looking to find a heated argument. I personally think that we're approaching the end of our toughest trough since we had to adjust the squad after being caught cheating the cap. The results of 2021 will be the first time in a few years that we've had something of a level playing field. So until next year I keep my hopes high and expectations in moderation.

I'm not proud of the club having been mediocre for a few years. But some people are capable of watching the step by step process of getting back to strength, while others expect things to change year by year like it's supercoach.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see Pay (or other coaches) being sacked during this virus affected comp, so the club should have all the info needed by the end of the season to decide whether to re-sign him. I’d hate to see us rush into an extension like last year, even if we surprise and win some early games. He’s finally got some promising young talent to work with in Renouf, Wakeham and Averillo and I’m keen to see whether he can develop them into quality first graders this year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can’t see Pay (or other coaches) being sacked during this virus affected comp, so the club should have all the info needed by the end of the season to decide whether to re-sign him. I’d hate to see us rush into an extension like last year, even if we surprise and win some early games. He’s finally got some promising young talent to work with in Renouf, Wakeham and Averillo and I’m keen to see whether he can develop them into quality first graders this year.
Spoiler

He can't.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm using language that simpletons can identify with. Other words that come to mind is"embarrassing" especially when posters on here state we are doing well because we didn't finish last :unamused:....
I'm a simpleton and I definitely don't identify with it ;)

Get that we all want our team to return to the level we were once at ... many years ago. It's what we're all longing for, and all of us have opinions on how to get back to those heights. But just because a person chooses to contructively criticise the team / management taking into account all the factors involved doesn't mean a person thinks we're doing well or that Pay / the Management are the answer. Why is that so hard to understand?

I love the Dogs. Grew up with them. Lived a breathed every game. Saw teams that, let's be honest, really weren't crash hot but somehow kept making the finals and defeating much more fancied rivals. I pretty much expected our team to win the final every year because they showed that they could do anything. Maybe because of that a lot of fans just expect the same now? I don't know.

But it's not all as black or white as so many think it is. We missed out on the 8 last year. A failure. (Personally I think not winning the grand final is a failure but we'll leave that for another time ;)) No one is on here saying that we were successful last year, or the year before or even so far this year. People are just trying to use perspective and look at the whole picture. You can't judge a fighter on losing a boxing match when he's got one arm tied behind his back. Can you?

Am I defending Pay? No! I've said repeatedly I don't think he's the answer, but at the same time any reasonable person has to accept he's been fighting with one hand tied behind his back. Inability to make big signings because of the salary cap. Player misbehaviour before the season started. Losing high profile & experienced players. Key injuries. He hasn't had it easy. And when judging him you need to take that into account, which is what I think that people like @DinkumDog is trying to do.

Has Pay made the right decisions? No. Playing players out of position has really done my head in however at the same time him benching Lewis and starting with Wakeham were two things I never expected for him to do. Especially based on previous years. Positives are there. Has the club got it all right? No. Disappointed in the lack of signings in key positions e.g. hooker. But, they've got rid of some 'deadwood', steadied the ship. There are some positives there.

Is Pay the future? Most likely not. I'd love it if he turns it all around, but I can't help but think he was a stop-gap until someone better came along ... but no one better has come along so we just need to wait until he does!

Now. I'm sure I'll be labelled as a Pay supporter after this as labelling is what so many on here love to do. Can see why people are upset and don't see Pay as the future as I've got the same doubts. But at the same time I ask myself, "Who else could we have at this moment?" and the answer is no one. So, I'll continue to judge Pay for the cards he's got to play with rather than the cards we wish he had to play with.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thompson is a pretty solid signing. Untested in the NRL, but I think he'll be good. And with uncertainty about the salary cap next year I think it might not be a bad idea to hold out long enough to see if some clubs are going to need to release talent. If we rush to make signings based on the idea that the salary cap will be back to normal next year we may be overpaying drastically if it drops by a million dollars or even half that. I'm not saying it will, just that there is uncertainty. We're in a shot position still because the old board acted in haste before knowing what the cap was set at.

But overall these discussions have been done to death. Anyone still having these discussions with the expectation of universal agreement of everyone on here on their point of view is deluded or just looking to find a heated argument. I personally think that we're approaching the end of our toughest trough since we had to adjust the squad after being caught cheating the cap. The results of 2021 will be the first time in a few years that we've had something of a level playing field. So until next year I keep my hopes high and expectations in moderation.

I'm not proud of the club having been mediocre for a few years. But some people are capable of watching the step by step process of getting back to strength, while others expect things to change year by year like it's supercoach.
Yeah. Good points. Each person has their own views and that needs to be respected. Some people like to take everything into account. Others like going on witch hunts. Which is fine also.

Impossible for us all to agree on something. Other than Terry Lamb was one sexy bastard. That's an undeniable point and if anyone refutes that has A LOT to answer for.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Impossible for us all to agree on something. Other than Terry Lamb was one sexy bastard. That's an undeniable point and if anyone refutes that has A LOT to answer for.
A Dogs Legend, unbelievable competitor and pound for pound tough. But, sexy.... sounds a little gay Mr Tassie Devil. But hey if thats how the island rolls who are we to judge.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A Dogs Legend, unbelievable competitor and pound for pound tough. But, sexy.... sounds a little gay Mr Tassie Devil. But hey if thats how the island rolls who are we to judge.
Terry Lamb is a beautiful bastard. If you don't want to accept that ok. For me. Greatest living thing ever to grace this Earth