Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It almost felt like he was playing that badly in order to gt an immediate release. So part of me wants to fuck him off to reserve grade for the rest of the season, but we really need the cap space, and to blood some younger players.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No coach worth his salt wants to sign on with the dogs and babysit a broken roster for 3 years. They interviewed a marquee who said no for exactly that reason when Pay was recruited. Pay is fine given our current circumstances.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If he goes who will be our fullback?
Mbye went ok for mine, even if he needs improvement, Mbye to stay.
Probably B Morris or Hopa - both have FB experience. It will only be for this year anyway.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And paying at least $300,000 of that for him to play for another team? Have we not learnt from the Graham & Kasiano experiments?
On general principle, I agree with you.

A big part of me wants to see the Club draw a line in the same, and say we will honour contracts, unless another Club wants to pay full freight - so we don;t end up like the Tigers were a few years ago (for example).

But it appears we also have to face the realities.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably B Morris or Hopa - both have FB experience. It will only be for this year anyway.
it will be hoppa, Bmoz knees arn't up to that much running

it would idealy but someone young tbh, i mean 2018 is gonna see what max another 2-3 wins anyways ? lets try somthing new, we know what hoppa offers there

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On general principle, I agree with you.

A big part of me wants to see the Club draw a line in the same, and say we will honour contracts, unless another Club wants to pay full freight - so we don;t end up like the Tigers were a few years ago (for example).

But it appears we also have to face the realities.
i tend to agree to an extant but mbye seems like 1 players that we should surely be able to pay less freight. if it was woods, tolman, foz, hoppa etc. i'd understand but mbye is in form and great fit for the tigers, we should drag our heels

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most clubs that are struggling have one of two issues that they need to resolve. The first being an ageing roster or an underwhelming roster. The second, a coach that either doesn't cut it in first grade or has lost touch with the NRL.

We have both. The question is can you fix both at the same time? Or do you settle for fixing one at a time.

Our third problem is that our salary cap is somehow still fukked with the inept roster we currently have.

So the club has to either get a gun coach in and work with less cattle or keep the untried coach and change the players.

My fear is that our club will struggle to do any of the above and try and patch over some of the issues with bit part players. We are in for a world of hurt.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our spine is the issue. Fix the fucking spine and we can contend for the comp. Looks like Mbye is gone. Short term soultion and realistic soultion. Will be 1. Coote 6. Norman 7. Foran 9. JMK/ woolford / Brown / lichaa

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The jury has to be out on Pay. He has a lot of excuses for why we are going terrible. But it is too easy to just say give him 3 years before we can judge him. Pay needs to be put on notice that we are not a club willing to lose three years just to then say we gave you a chance. He needs to be seen to be improving either the squad or the way we are playing in the meantime.

Not dropping Montoya is indicative of Pay's coaching style. He is not prepared to risk changes. The fact that Olive showed what can happen when fresh talent is injected into the side is enough to show what change can achieve. The problem though is that the Olive change was forced on Pay and he didn't initiate it.

Pay's standing amongst fans would have increased greatly if he had dropped Montoya and put Olive in the centres and pushed Hoppa onto the wing before Jmoz's injury. That would have been proactive coaching. Instead he waited for an injury to change a backline that has scored the least amount of tries this year.
That is also my only critisism of Pay. He doesnt have a lot of options but a coach on his position must be seen, at least, to have the nous to tinker with the team if there is a glaringly weak link. He has made changes but more than a few are ill considered and without long term benefits...and thst has been evident to everyone that knows this club and the players strengths and weaknesses.

Over all tho we can't be too critical...he needs help because this club is in major hemorraging mode on several fronts.

It would be best for people to give the guy a break, and keep the fact that we are going through yet another horrendous period of our momentous history, in perspective.

Chris Anderson, for one, knows what's what to guide a Club. It will take a while to resolve but we gotta believe they are working on it.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
whether you rate him or not, sacking pay is not an option.

the playing roster is fucked for a while, the club doesn't need us making life harder on ourselves but paying out another coach.give him these down years to see if he can get anything out of the the roster and we're still struggling then move him on but right now, we're not a job a decent coach wants so we may aswell stick with pay who at the very least seems to be doing everything he can

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Release Mbye immediately. Use the money to front load contracts for next year.

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think why people are blaming pay is because we can all see who needs to get dropped but he won’t which is frustrating

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell no ..... there's good reason behind the rumour Parra are shopping him around... and if that rumour is true I don't want him anywhere near the club.
Well tell us. You haven't been sworn to secrecy have you?

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
Why not? Because we need our fullback for the remainder of this year. The Salary Cap shit is for NEXT YEAR. Let's have him with us for this year and then free up the space from NEXT YEAR. Perhaps we can at least avoid the wooden spoon.
Work him into the ground I say lol

Status
Not open for further replies.