Dean Pay - Big Sports Breaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not really, i see plenty of potential reasons as to why we might not make the 8 at this this stage.

- Foran doesn't live up to everyones massive expectations.
- We can't produce a competent halves partner for Foran.
- Moses doesn't successfully transition to fullback.
- Ordinary backline.
- Lack of depth in the backline.
You forget everyone got Haslerised, so their skills are far better than what was on show in last year odd.

- Foran knows it's do or die. Fail to perform and his career is done and dusted.
- Cleeland, Frawley, Mbye at worst. One of them will perform. Frawleys first few games were awesome (Rounds 5/6/7), then the entire team fell to shit. His win rate sits at 50/50. Partnered with Mbye and Reynolds means he HAD no organiser alongside him. (Worth noting that Foran played 17 games, 2 tries).
- Mbye reads the game well, is bloody fast, a decent defender, and in top 10 fastest players over a short distance I NRL (I reckon). He'll kill it at fullback and has played there before.
- Backline is good. Mbye, BMoz, Hoppa, JMoz, Montoya.
- Depth is fine. Carr, Holland, Bergamin, Cerruto and I'm sure I've forgotten someone.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s more of the responsibility of the ceo who was raelene castle at the time lol, hence her “resignation”.
But yeah
Yeah I know but I think our club gave Des a lot of power that he had no right in having. Both at fault for sure.

N

Natboy

There's nothing wrong with that, you can't be the best without knowing your strengths and weaknesses. All i'm saying is that i wouldn't be that suprised if we don't push for a spot in the 8 because of potential reasons like these. I do however expect us to finish in the 8.
Me too. I don’t agree with our backline though. I know they aren’t the quickest but if they can keep fit BMoz, JMoz, Hoppa & Montoya is pretty decent, especially if Mbye is backing up with his speed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You forget everyone got Haslerised, so their skills are far better than what was on show in last year odd.

- Foran knows it's do or die. Fail to perform and his career is done and dusted.
- Cleeland, Frawley, Mbye at worst. One of them will perform. Frawleys first few games were awesome (Rounds 5/6/7), then the entire team fell to shit. His win rate sits at 50/50. Partnered with Mbye and Reynolds means he HAD no organiser alongside him. (Worth noting that Foran played 17 games, 2 tries).
- Mbye reads the game well, is bloody fast, a decent defender, and in top 10 fastest players over a short distance I NRL (I reckon). He'll kill it at fullback and has played there before.
- Depth is fine. Carr, Holland, Bergamin, Cerruto and I'm sure I've forgotten someone.
Do we know for sure that Pay will be that much better than Hasler? No we don't. There aren't many certainties about us for next season and that's my point, just as much can go wrong as can go right.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s more of the responsibility of the ceo who was raelene castle at the time lol, hence her “resignation”.
But yeah
Actually that’s the job of the board and the coach. Coach says who he wants and the board handles negotiations and has final sign off. The same board that is likely to be re-elected.

Dib has done an amazing job scapegoating Hasler and Castle. The man is like Teflon.

Not really, i see plenty of potential reasons as to why we might not make the 8 at this this stage.

- Foran doesn't live up to everyones massive expectations.
- We can't produce a competent halves partner for Foran.
- Moses doesn't successfully transition to fullback.
- Ordinary backline.
- Lack of depth in the backline.
Everyone of these. Add in a lack of experience in the second row if we go for our young guns and move Jackson to lock. Potential second year syndrome for Montoya, Morris Brothers fragility with another year.

I’m worried about the captain thing if it’s between Woods, Klemmer and Jackson. Woods had no heart as a captain at the Tigers and was in my opinion one of the worst captains in the comp. Klemmer is too firey to talk to the refs and it may result in him being hated, or worse, him being tamed. Jackson gets frustrated and can give a run of penalties. If Tolman is still in the team, I’d prefer him or Jmoz taking it for a year or 2 with Jackson as VC to help ease him into it and mature a bit more. Both of them have filled in as captain before, have a good grasp of the rules and are super well spoken when it comes to talking to Refs.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's entirely possible Mbye could be captain too. Well spoken, liked by all players, and far less likely to let a decision impact his game.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Dude that backline depth is terrible. Would probably be up there with worst in the NRL? Only player with NRL experience is fuckn shite. The rest are unknowns and don’t even stand out in reserve grade.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Me too. I don’t agree with our backline though. I know they aren’t the quickest but if they can keep fit BMoz, JMoz, Hoppa & Montoya is pretty decent, especially if Mbye is backing up with his speed
Fair enough, i just don't rate Bmoz that highly these days, him slowing down has negatively effected his game by some margin imo. Jmoz is still good enough, hopefully he has dropped some weight and is a little mlre agile this season.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jmoz has looked leaner in the photos this year. I’m guessing Pay is less concerned with backline bulk than Des was.

Tolman has always been fairly lean for a prop but he’s also one of a few players looking really light in the photos. Don’t know what the hell Pay is doing there, I figured they’d be trying to bulk him up and have him play less minutes with higher impact.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We're at a point where we have a foundation of established quality players and a number of promising juniors. Question marks remain about our second halves optio and about some of our hookers capabilities and the fullback position is still up in the air. But as most people have mentioned Pay is hopefully more willing to experiment if his first choices don't work out. Our forward pack has seen some quality departures but we had some players who are or were recently rookies who can hopefully step up. Our backline had some deficiencies that we've filled with solid at best players for a while. Hopefully we can reward some of our juniors with chances and they repay the faith.

I have no doubt that we've got a side that can make the 8. A lot of that will come down to how well the coach and the leadership group can convince the less experienced players that we have what it takes to become a real premiership threat. As fans I think we need to help the leadership group by dropping a lot of the negativity that has been around for a few seasons. It's easy to believe you are shit if the people who call themselves supporters are loudly proclaiming how shit you are. So for me the key to getting the best out of the side next year will come down to instilling some confidence in them. But at this stage a lot of question marks hover over the team and only time will tell if we can become genuine contenders for the title. As usual I won't write off our chances of giving the finals a shake unless it becomes impossible for us to get there.

N

Natboy

Fair enough, i just don't rate Bmoz that highly these days, him slowing down has negatively effected his game by some margin imo. Jmoz is still good enough, hopefully he has dropped some weight and is a little mlre agile this season.
If BMoz can get over the niggles he will surprise people with the speed he still has

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sure is! Big year of footy and golf now I'm retired. A golf week in NZ and another golf week in Thailand, SOO 1 in Melb and SOO 2 in Sydney already booked and paid for. had a great day on pink day at the SCG. Here for a good time now - not a long time (sadly):grinning::grinning:
Awesome I’ll be in Melbourne SOO1 as well and playing golf at Royal and Greg Norman’s course

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The two tries I've seen him score at NRL level were as a result of the defense buying his dummies. And I honestly think he's not an elite half, but he's not the worst half going round in the NRL. And as I said, it's not ideal to judge his skills when he was rarely able to get his hands on the ball straight out of dummy half. I'll be giving him a clean slate to perform in what is hopefully a more attacking style of play this year. Maybe he will surprise some people.

Our support play last year left plenty to be desired. So hopefully under Pays coaching we'll have the whole line moving at pace and he'll be more decisive. I just don't want to write anyone off until we get to see what they're capable of when they're given a more free reign to play what they see in front of them which seems to be the message that Pay is sending out.
Our support play has been pretty non existent for a few years now but that’s mainly because of our fitness or lack thereof!

No Kant was pushing up !

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't give a shit who is in the team I expect the Bulldogs to make the eight EVERY year.

Pay has a good foundation to start with imo. Australia front row, SOO player in JJ, Foran (who is supposedly fit), Hoppa, the Morris boys (older but still decent first grade players). Then good young talent with Montoya, Fualalo, Rfm, Elliot and Taulau.

He may have inherited this roster but it isn't bad at all imo. And if he doesn't get to the finals it's a big fail.
Same bro I even expected us to make the 8 in 2008 lol

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same bro I even expected us to make the 8 in 2008 lol
I can't remember the season but there was a game against Canberra and for us to make the 8, we had to win by 74. I fully watched the game expecting us to win by 80 lmao

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome I’ll be in Melbourne SOO1 as well and playing golf at Royal and Greg Norman’s course
Lucky bastard. Only doing an overnighter in Melb as the son has to work but got 3 days in perth and my club pro is going to organise something for me......

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dude that backline depth is terrible. Would probably be up there with worst in the NRL? Only player with NRL experience is fuckn shite. The rest are unknowns and don’t even stand out in reserve grade.
Bergamin was great in ISP/NYC last year and years before.
Carr had huge wraps on him at St George and was one of our top tryscorers in ISP last year.
Holland was Mr Average but that was under Hasler.
Cerruto is an international.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Jmoz has looked leaner in the photos this year. I’m guessing Pay is less concerned with backline bulk than Des was.

Tolman has always been fairly lean for a prop but he’s also one of a few players looking really light in the photos. Don’t know what the hell Pay is doing there, I figured they’d be trying to bulk him up and have him play less minutes with higher impact.
Games changed to a more mobile front/second row. Big boppers got caught out last year (KAS!)

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't remember the season but there was a game against Canberra and for us to make the 8, we had to win by 74. I fully watched the game expecting us to win by 80 lmao
We gave it a good nudge

Think it was 2011 Bobcat last game

Status
Not open for further replies.