News Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kent always backs Pay, refuses to acknowledge his flaws.

If improvement was obvious without the annual return to shit until 8 is out of reach, and players were selected in their best positions, Pay would get more credit.
Wasn’t Kent also very Pro Hasler last time when this happened?
The bloke makes Covid 19 look good.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone attacks News Ltd journos and rightly so.. But now because one talking head says something that matches their opinion on Pay, Paul Kent is all of a sudden the oracle and we're supposed to care what he thinks?

Who's picking and choosing to suit their agenda now? If Kent attacked Pay and said he should be fired tomorrow, those same people would be hammering Kent instead of praising him.
***NEWSFLASH***
They are all scum!
In other news....Andrew Webster was seen sucking off some random in Darlinghurst.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
June 03, 2020 8:59pm
Mark St JohnFOX SPORTS
Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Dean Pay needs a big game from his Bulldogs side on Monday.

James Hooper has revealed Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has been given strict orders to improve his side’s performance in Round 4 or face further conjecture over his future.

The Bulldogs were poor in their Round 3 loss to the Sea Eagles and Pay has been in talks with key club powerbrokers this week.

“Dean Pay’s future at the Bulldogs has been put on the radar this week,” Hooper said on NRL 360.

“There has been further meetings today between Lynn Anderson and Andrew Hill who is the CEO, other people at the Football Department and Dean Pay.

“It has been outlined in no uncertain terms that Dean Pay needs a strong performance from the team on Monday against St George Illawarra and that he is facing an uphill battle to retain his position beyond this season.

“I feel for Dean Pay, the Bulldogs members and fans are immensely frustrated because of the lack of results.”

However Paul Kent believes that Pay was set up to fail, given the lack of support in improving the playing stocks at the club throughout his tenure.

“But this was the danger we always knew what Dean Pay was up against in regenerating this roster,” Kent interjected.

“The conspiracy theory was when they signed him to coach to the end of this year was that they were not giving him next year when he had greater control over the finances and the salary cap.

“He was basically being put in there to go through all the tough period so they could slide someone else into the job when things got easier from a salary cap and recruitment point of view.

“To be honest Dean Pay hasn’t been treated real fair by the Bulldogs. He’s done all the hard work and copped all the hard shots back.”

Regardless Hooper believes that the Bulldogs are losing patience given Pay has won just 18 of his 51 games in charge for a win percentage of just 35.3.

“The issue is when Dean Pay was signed he was signed by the previous Chairman Ray Dibb,” Hooper explained.

“Then the board was overthrown at the elections by Lynn Anderson, Chris Anderson and that ticket.

“Dean has been working for people who didn’t initially hire him. He’s a Bulldogs legend and yes he has been treated poorly given those circumstances.

“But when you look at his win ratio and their results it is very hard to mount an argument to retain him.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...fb987121fdf1776726a?__twitter_impression=true

Kenty best mates with Ricky
Ricky best mates with Pay
The end.
I agree with Kent. A lot of fans still haven't been able to understand the situation we're in.
Kent always backs Pay, refuses to acknowledge his flaws.

If improvement was obvious without the annual return to shit until 8 is out of reach, and players were selected in their best positions, Pay would get more credit.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone who backs Pay as a good FG coach, doesn’t know shit about FG footy. @bradyk
What do you mean by back? He has met expectations and I've said plenty of times he's a rebuild (placeholder) coach and not a top coach. If a top coach was available Pay wouldn't be here. There is no point sideways swapping coaches unless Pay has lost the dressing room.

I agree with Kent more than not on most things by the way guys.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I honestly agree with Kent on more things than not. I'm glad you guys have found that comparison.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Do you really think Pay has much say in recruitment?
No idea but a Coach should have. He needs to convey the types of players etc that he wants to best carry out whatever plan he has for style of play we want. Obviously no power with regards to $$$ like Hasler had but the available players, yes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Set up to fail haha... Please we all knew the problems he would face, it was public knowledge... What Dean had to get correct was picking players in the right positions and using interchange properly, he's failed at basic fundamentals of coaching and I believe he'd still be flawed in this area even with a good roster, all a good rosters would do is hide his flaws until shit hit the fan.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by back? He has met expectations and I've said plenty of times he's a rebuild (placeholder) coach and not a top coach. If a top coach was available Pay wouldn't be here. There is no point sideways swapping coaches unless Pay has lost the dressing room.

I agree with Kent more than not on most things by the way guys.
The only expectations Pay has met are, we expect him to NOT use interchange properly or pick players in their proper positions.

You make an ill informed dumb argument!

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
For me that's what it comes down to. We have 1 chance with this open cheque book for 2021, do we trust Pay to spend it wisely and has he proven that he can? For me, his team selections etc answers that question!
Qaulity players is what we look at apparently

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But the one nagging issue about pay does not go away and hence he cannot be trusted to build our team.

Last season we started with a whole bunch of wrong players in wrong positions (e.g Montoya in centres, chn on the bench) and he persisted and persisted with the wrong lineup until injuries set him right.

If he can't even pick the right players in the right positions with our current squad to give us the best chance of being competitive, i sure as hell don't want him to have an open cheque book to fuck our salary cap on shit players again. E.g clay fucking priest
Exactly. Let’s not forget. We have been in effect out of finals contention by round 10 every year under pay. Don’t think we have won more then 3 games in the first 3 months of footy (don’t quote me on this).

So fair enough. Pay took over a train wreck. But he was here for the Britt, crichton, Napa, katoa, Stimson, dwz as a fullback signings.

We have seen no progress at all. We don’t have a young gun with 25-30 games under their belt (I will not consider Lewis a young gun) he hasn’t aided in the development of cogger, Meaney, wakeman, averillo, Harper. He has detracted from smiths development by putting him in a position he is not natural in.

So it is unfair to blame the world on pay. But to be honest. We haven’t gone forward under him which I can blame. We were never going to be a finals team. But we have given ample game time to players that shouldn’t have gotten it. Fair enough we got stop gap fillers on bottom dollar. But not sure why Napa was brought in. Biggest pretender in the nrl. And I can’t remember the last game he showed up. Must have been half way through 2019.

So yeh. Short sighted to hang all the shit on pay. But he had done absolutely nothing to get us out of this situation. We haven’t developed anyone to see if they are worth persisting with. And the board who “inherited” pay. I don’t buy that either. His 2 year contract was up and we extended him another year. If they were that against it why not let him go last season?

Their hands aren’t clean from this mess. And in my books they said don’t expect finals until 2021. So unless a miracle happens their necks are on the chopping block. The patience fans showed while they kept on saying we can’t be competitive until 2021 will not last through another mediocre year of tolman on the 4th, Napa being invisible, and Lewis playing arrogant hero ball for himself in 2021.

As a coach pay should hang his head in shame, not for the losses or the lack of playing talent. But for the fact our game plan is Tolman taking hitups 5 out.

this great club is now the easy beats of the comp. and I don’t see pay or Anderson leading us out of this.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe he was set up to fail. His performances reflect upon the Board and CEO too. Pay knew what was ahead of him when he agreed to the job did he not?

I did say in a post previously that the cattle has to be taken in account and I do believe that. However his team selections, positional assignments and general team skills and gameplan are all his so he can be assessed upon that.

I don't believe he was set up to fail, I think it's more that he was over his head.
100% we have had jmk,at hooker 2 years hasn't worked still persists,Aidan Tolman,brings nothing to the team anymore,he is a liability and has been for some time,Lewis and cogger on and off for 2 years nothing,why not give averillo a shot ,or Harper,starting with renouf tooamaga,he has some options,but he persists with the same deadwood every week,I think after 3 years our team,the coach,my beloved club has gone backwards,if there was improvement in individuals players,and the team in general,I would say persevere,but we are going backwards.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Let’s not forget. We have been in effect out of finals contention by round 10 every year under pay. Don’t think we have won more then 3 games in the first 3 months of footy (don’t quote me on this).

So fair enough. Pay took over a train wreck. But he was here for the Britt, crichton, Napa, katoa, Stimson, dwz as a fullback signings.

We have seen no progress at all. We don’t have a young gun with 25-30 games under their belt (I will not consider Lewis a young gun) he hasn’t aided in the development of cogger, Meaney, wakeman, averillo, Harper. He has detracted from smiths development by putting him in a position he is not natural in.

So it is unfair to blame the world on pay. But to be honest. We haven’t gone forward under him which I can blame. We were never going to be a finals team. But we have given ample game time to players that shouldn’t have gotten it. Fair enough we got stop gap fillers on bottom dollar. But not sure why Napa was brought in. Biggest pretender in the nrl. And I can’t remember the last game he showed up. Must have been half way through 2019.

So yeh. Short sighted to hang all the shit on pay. But he had done absolutely nothing to get us out of this situation. We haven’t developed anyone to see if they are worth persisting with. And the board who “inherited” pay. I don’t buy that either. His 2 year contract was up and we extended him another year. If they were that against it why not let him go last season?

Their hands aren’t clean from this mess. And in my books they said don’t expect finals until 2021. So unless a miracle happens their necks are on the chopping block. The patience fans showed while they kept on saying we can’t be competitive until 2021 will not last through another mediocre year of tolman on the 4th, Napa being invisible, and Lewis playing arrogant hero ball for himself in 2021.

As a coach pay should hang his head in shame, not for the losses or the lack of playing talent. But for the fact our game plan is Tolman taking hitups 5 out.

this great club is now the easy beats of the comp. and I don’t see pay or Anderson leading us out of this.

Well said. You raise some very valid points on progression. We have stagnated and don’t look improving. Everyone is banking on 2021 as some miracle. We should have focused on blooding the juniors so they would be ready for 2021.

Pay cannot play the victim here. He knew what he was getting himself into. However, he hasn’t done anything to make things easier for him. There is still plenty of time in the season to focus on the development of Wakeham, Averillo, Ogden & Harper.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said I didn’t have any expectations on ladder positions because it was irrelevant to me.
Without expectations we have nothing in life,you seem to use the word irrelevant,often,we all have the right to have certain expectations of our team ,then maybe you are the one that's irrelevant.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly agree with Kent on more things than not. I'm glad you guys have found that comparison.
Kenty said that Pay was set up to fail. Talking about a conspiracy theory. Is that what you agree with? Cause your point about the fans not understanding the situation we are in is not Kent’s words. The quotes above are from Hooper saying that it’s hard to back him given the results.. I don’t envy Pay it was a tough position to be in but it’s not all
About the results on the ladder... Des had us playing finals every year bar 2017 and 2 grand finals.. sometimes you got to look under the bonnet..

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If pay was picking the best team every week and playing them in their best positions, then you could blame the board and recruitment.
I honestly believe he’s left the board no choice. They swept in, promising a wave of change. They won’t go to another election, with nothing to show.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Resistant to making changes, rewarding bog average performances, seems against playing younger players, mind boggling selections, boring football. There’s a lot of Des in Pay at the moment.
Hopefully we don’t have to endure it for too much longer

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do you really think Pay has much say in recruitment?
Well if he wants Reynolds back I’m glad he doesn’t. Look what happened when we let our last coach handle recruitment and retention