day/night test cricket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im an absolute dinosaur and traditionalist... One dayers ok... Only learnt to like T20 after last summers big bash...
Just gotta say d/n test cricket is an absolute winner for sooo many reasons...
Will I live to see a summer of 4 day 100 over d/n series I wonder...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes i love it too,can watch it when you get home from work

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im an absolute dinosaur and traditionalist... One dayers ok... Only learnt to like T20 after last summers big bash...
Just gotta say d/n test cricket is an absolute winner for sooo many reasons...
Will I live to see a summer of 4 day 100 over d/n series I wonder...
I think exactly as you do on all points.

I overall consider myself a purist - give me a day of test cricket over the other stuff any day of the week, but there is an added intrigue of D/N tests.

I also think its time to look at 4 days tests - play them Thursday to Sunday. 4 x 25 sessions a day with shorter breaks, playing from around 1pm. Imagine a test going down the wire on a Sunday evening. Would make for much better TV ratings, and playing on days that are either a weekend, or people often are able to sneak out of work earlier.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This idea is a complete fail. Day night test cricket what a joke. It doesn't matter how you dress it up or try to market it "pink ball" rubbish etc, at the end of the day test cricket is a massive block fest. Renshaw 34 runs off 130 balls or something like that, the new Dravid.

The good thing about having it at night is that it will put me to sleep faster.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This idea is a complete fail. Day night test cricket what a joke. It doesn't matter how you dress it up or try to market it "pink ball" rubbish etc, at the end of the day test cricket is a massive block fest. Renshaw 34 runs off 130 balls or something like that, the new Dravid.

The good thing about having it at night is that it will put me to sleep faster.
You're not really complaining about day night test cricket you're complaining about test cricket itself. If you don't like test cricket it's pretty obvious you don't like day night test cricket....so I guess you can just watch silly hit and giggle shit and leave the rest of us to enjoy the real stuff (presuming you like hit and giggle in the first place.) Or you could continue to use it as an insomnia cure...whatever works haha.

I think they definitely needed to do a lot of work after the first one last year. Batting at night was just way too hard compared to batting by daylight. Ball was zipping around everywhere.

I think they've obviously worked on the ball and dished up a better wicket this year though.

I think it has a future for sure..and yeah it's awesome getting home from work and being able to watch half of the day's play.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
do they call it a dinner break in d/n tests?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
do they call it a dinner break in d/n tests?
Stop with the tough questions ffs. I'm still trying to figure out whether they all drink tea during the tea break :p

I'm not 100 percent sure, but think they actually might. It seems like the second break which is usually the tea break in a day time test match is actually a bit longer.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Stop with the tough questions ffs. I'm still trying to figure out whether they all drink tea during the tea break :p
i think they will have fights about which tea to drink, like sri lankans getting mad and attacking indian players with bats if they mock dilmah tea

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
i think they will have fights about which tea to drink, like sri lankans getting mad and attacking indian players with bats if they mock dilmah tea
Haha I guess the English would drink Earl Grey or something and the Sri Lankans would drink Dilmah ....or guts probably just shove some eucalyptus leaves in some boiling water or something.....

You could give them herbal team to calm them down... probably a good idea when we're batting...might discourage brain explosions and rash shots, but when we're bowling, I'm
Happy to let the dressing room fight it out tbh...

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking love it. Im a purist but its just awesome being able to watch it after work.

Thought the quality of cricket was brilliant. It was actually a contest between bat and ball. The curator done an awesome job on the wicket.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I'm not 100 percent sure, but think they actually might. It seems like the second break which is usually the tea break in a day time test match is actually a bit longer.
I thought only the English team drinks tea in the tea break and Aussies drink VB lol

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think the day/night test has made it a lot more even between bat & ball which is good!! Cricket has become way too slanted towards the batsmen so good to see it even up a bit more!! No doubt it still needs some work but nothing better then coming home after work on a hot summers evening, grabbing a beer & chilling in front of the crickey for a few hours

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck me swinging... You just cant keep some people happy... Cannot fathom the volume of people bagging Renno... He did almost all asked of him... Batted through that first tricky night... Batted through the second innings beautifully against some shit hot bowling, with a smallish target, holding up an end like he did was a wonderful... Ok he could be a little more positive at times regarding strike rotation but that will come... He may yet get replaced by a returning Marsh, but he's averaging 44, and is one for one in test cricket... Well done on debut at 20 young fella!!!...

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the day/night test has made it a lot more even between bat & ball which is good!! Cricket has become way too slanted towards the batsmen so good to see it even up a bit more!! No doubt it still needs some work but nothing better then coming home after work on a hot summers evening, grabbing a beer & chilling in front of the crickey for a few hours
I'm biased as a cranky old fast bowler... I love seeing a batsmen have to work hard to get in, work hard against the new ball... There is plenty of time for them to score runs if they are good enough with their super sized bats, pads, helmet, arm guard, thigh pad, inner thigh pad to hide behind, while playing on benign pitches with short boundaries, and only 2 bouncers an over... Ok I think I got that off my chest now...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
day/night is great. Can watch alot after work, and the ball seems to react when the lights take over. to that @GoTheDoggies fella up above... just stick to that T20 bullshit if you don't like test cricket... and go to India, they love that rubbish over there

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I thought only the English team drinks tea in the tea break and Aussies drink VB lol
Well in the first two tests it looked like the batting order were all seeing more than one ball out there, so man, I wouldn't at all be surprised! :p

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Beer in hand, feet up... Final session in Bris begins... Always been a purist; but am seriously loving this...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wade and maddinson need to go dont know why lehmann has a hardon for wade he is rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.