News David Klemmer’s father speaks out on tragic family split

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Klemmer’s father, Helmut, has clarified his son’s move to the Newcastle Knights and discussed their sad family circumstances, in a story written by Danny Weidler in the Sydney Morning Herald.

It comes after the Herald published a story that stated Klemmer was not leaving the Canterbury Bulldogs for financial purposes, but due to personal family reasons.

Helmut Klemmer wrote an email to Weidler in response to the column, defending his family for being painted in a bad light.

“My name is Helmut Klemmer. I have an issue in the article you wrote in The Sun-Herald today about David,” Helmut’s email read.

“You referred to the main reason David was leaving the Bulldogs was not money but some personal problems he has with his family.

‘‘This story and several others like it over past few years have cast a dim light on my family.

There are always two sides to a story so before you and your media colleagues make out David has had some sort of unfortunate childhood/family life get your facts right. Most of, if not all, his angst has been brought on by his own actions.

“So to avoid any future problems that may arise regarding defamation, lawsuits please refrain from mentioning my family and problems that David may have with them in your newspaper. I am happy to speak to you and clear up this matter.

“It’s not our fault that David is living the life he is wanting to live and if he wants to leave the Bulldogs it’s not because of us. I want the innuendo to stop. We have not been asking David for money or anything like that.

‘‘The truth is that we have not spoken to him for years. Every time that we try and make peace with him there is a disconnection. We did the right thing by him and were there for him as he was growing up but in recent years he has made a decision not to talk with us and he has his own life with his family and we have been kicked to the kerb.”

It is a sad situation which will hopefully be resolved one day with David Klemmer potentially wanting to escape it by joining Newcastle.

The Herald contacted Klemmer for comment yesterday, who wanted to contact his manager before making a statement, but did not respond before the deadline.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me. Besides Newcastle isn't NQ, u can fkn drive there from Sydney regularly.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“It’s not our fault that David is living the life he is wanting to live and if he wants to leave the Bulldogs it’s not because of us. I want the innuendo to stop. We have not been asking David for money or anything like that.

‘‘The truth is that we have not spoken to him for years. Every time that we try and make peace with him there is a disconnection. We did the right thing by him and were there for him as he was growing up but in recent years he has made a decision not to talk with us and he has his own life with his family and we have been kicked to the kerb.”
Wow, just wow. There are always two sides to any story and we have heard the right of reply from his family.Very bitter words from his father....

I had never heard about any issue like this in the past and it is quite ironic that NOW of all times it comes out. It seems to me that his father's hand has been forced in this regard in relation to the perceived ' personal reasons' for him seeking a release.

If this is indeed the catalyst it has been present for many years now. Wonder if his wife is the one kicking up the fuss.....as Bullfrog used to say " happy wife, happy life"

In any case I am so over these players not honouring their deals and using various excuses other than the fact they can get more money elsewhere as a reason for wanting to leave.

The fans are the major stake holders n the game and one day soon I can see games being played in front of really minimal crowds as people vote with their wallets and their feet. TV will finally get what it wants; absolute control of the game and a monopoly on viewing audiences. Our illustrious leader won't care because to me that his his current vision anyway...bums on lounges

fireclust

Waterboy
Reaction score
What confusing read that was. It said I want to clear this up yet the **** spat some shit up about David not speaking to him and didn’t clear up anything
That’s exactly what he cleared up, he’s got nothing to do him. The family excuse is therefore bullshit cos the **** doesn’t even talk to his family.

Klemmers wife tells him what to do, and the **** does it. Simple as that.

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Helmut klemmer?? Only helmut should of been put on Dave klemmer to much head knocks are making him go crazy to leave the team that he grew up supporting and playing for!!
If I was able to play first grade and it was with the team I grew up with and had a chance to play for il stick with them through good and bad so what if he's getting paid a few $$ extra not like the money he is on now is low and can't pay for his house food kids and wife. If he has problems with family and don't wanna be apart of his life just put a AVO simple plus cap goes up every year so if it's a bit more he asking just be patient till next 2 years

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
That’s exactly what he cleared up, he’s got nothing to do him. The family excuse is therefore bullshit cos the **** doesn’t even talk to his family.

Oh sorry I forgot David used the family excuse. It makes sense now hahaha. I wonder if David’s parents where terrible parents. You don’t radomly stop taking to family especially your parents.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Oh sorry I forgot David used the family excuse. It makes sense now hahaha. I wonder if David’s parents where terrible parents. You don’t radomly stop taking to family especially your parents.
You do if you chose your partner over your family, even when your family warn your about her.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I dont mind players leaving for family reasons , but it's always the case that there is financial gain. Never taking a cut to go back home or to move out of Sydney . Just come out and say I'm going to earn 500k more and no one blame him for that. If someone offered me almost double to work for them I'm off. Just dont doin the family drama shit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

TIL that your wife isn't part of your family.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It is family based flowing into money related. Moses gets hauled in so that Klem doesn't have to throw his wife under the bus in the media. Simple as that.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And no apology from weidler that his story last week was bs and unfactual and that more than likely the story was to help his mate moses good on helmet for doing this