Other News Source David Furner

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do think this board has a plan, and a really good one TBH. The question is, will they survive the February 2020 AGM elections to see it through?

Also, it would be a tragedy for the current board to be voted out and a new board take over to reap the rewards of the current board's work. Time will tell.
The board is safe as houses for a few reasons but the biggest is there isn't anyone that is going to run against them unless Dib tries to regain power which will be unlikely and the stench he left means he is no chance.

The other reason is the voters are very conservative and most understand the situation.

If we are in the same situation for the election after next year then there could be blood.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The board is safe as houses for a few reasons but the biggest is there isn't anyone that is going to run against them unless Dib tries to regain power which will be unlikely and the stench he left means he is no chance.

The other reason is the voters are very conservative and most understand the situation.

If we are in the same situation for the election after next year then there could be blood.
Yeh, agree mate.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

hope your right spoonman .. we need people that are in the know and rational voting..

its easy to act on emotion in these situation, as we see around here (me included). but we really need rational thinking from the voting members..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
hope your right spoonman .. we need people that are in the know and rational voting..

its easy to act on emotion in these situation, as we see around here (me included). but we really need rational thinking from the voting members..
That's the good thing about having the vote in February as it takes a most of the emotion from the season out of it. Could you imagine holding the vote after a heavy loss!

The board will probably have some good news in the off season to butter up the voters too.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure they’ll also use tactics via rumours in the media...as in promising news etc

That’s one thing I’ve noticed. Boards use media

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Are we cleaning up uneeded extra staff like the sacking of Andrew Farrar, Warren Mcdonnell, Gareth Holmes etc to free up cash to make an assualt for a better coach in 2021.
@dogwhisperer

Paul Kent offered an explanation on NRL 360 when talking about the situation a few weeks back. Was a good listen actually and made perfect sense.

The board had just gone through it's Strategic Plan moving forwards, and sat down to discuss how they would achieve most of those goals. A point of discussion was around "are the current staff we have capable of reaching those goals, or are they already working at 100% of their abilities".

Several staff were highlighted that the board believed had reached the peak of their abilities, and were unable to take the boards vision in the Strategic Plan forwards.

Hence the deadwood was cut, and search started for staff capable of reaching those goals (or better).

I think this signals a smart way of thinking by the board if true (and it makes sense). Piss the deadwood off whilst we still are alive in the season. Chances to recruit players die off in the off season as they head on holidays, etc. We can make smart recruitment calls leading up to June deadline, so that might be part of the plan as well.

I do think this board has a plan, and a really good one TBH. The question is, will they survive the February 2020 AGM elections to see it through?

Also, it would be a tragedy for the current board to be voted out and a new board take over to reap the rewards of the current board's work. Time will tell.
Yes and no. I'm back on the fence a little here. I feel they need to be MORE vocal and MORE transparent with things. We aren't hearing a lot at the moment from the board.

If we keep dropping games, they are going to need to speak up.
If we keep getting shafted on calls, they should be speaking up.

Tend to agree. The previous mob shit the bed that hard that the sheets could no longer be cleaned, nor the stench of shit cleansed from the office furniture.

The voters wanted change, and change was made.

However the board are in a dangerous position in that they've promised alot, and voters will expect better (given they voted them in on the proviso of change).

How much leeway they are given before people start demanding action or looking to move them on remains to be seen.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes and no. I'm back on the fence a little here. I feel they need to be MORE vocal and MORE transparent with things. We aren't hearing a lot at the moment from the board.

If we keep dropping games, they are going to need to speak up.
If we keep getting shafted on calls, they should be speaking up.
I agree, they have been pretty quiet...too quiet for my liking anyway..lol

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Furner was pretty much the brains behind the Cowboys 2015 campaign which led to the grand final win. Apparently all the players rated him and respected him. Why not bring him here? If you to be successful, you surround yourself with people that are successful and have experienced success. So let's try and suckless,and have a go at success

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree, they have been pretty quiet...too quiet for my liking anyway..lol
Think they did say they'd be stepping out of the limelight. I like that they're just getting in and working, and feel they have tried to keep up updated a fair bit.

Certainly don't want to make this whole mess about the board. Feel that we've got a strong enough team to be competing more, but if we continue losing games I do expect the board to be more vocal and actually do something.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club keeps talking about back ended deals. Plodman and Jackson must be on some insane figures for 2020 for us to be so handicapped until then. Why aren’t we trying to move them on the same way we moved on Klemmer, Woods, Mobye etc.

The club keeps talking about an assault in 2021. What the fuck that’s an age away. What’s that going to do. That’s another 5 years down the drain. Look at Manly they had the same problem. They’ve been in the wildnerness with a clean cap.
The last thing we need to do is offload our captain and vice captain. Leadership matters and we’ll need senior players to work with our young team. The coach just needs to use them better. If we were to shaft another current captain from the club it would be a terrible message to send