Other News Source David Furner

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Far out, more thinking in peoples posts would be great.
The damage the old board has done has a long ripple effect that takes time. Unfortunately that's the way it is mate.
I'm not sticking up for any board here, just trying to be impartial and honest.
You know Hoppa, Jackson, Tolman and Holland are still on back ended deals for next year.
When the club states that they won't be completley out of this turmoil until 2021, then you better believe it because it's true.
Yes we do have some money under the cap, but come 2020 when we are purchasing for the 2021 season expect us to have a war chest.

I, like others have lost confidence in Pay's coaching ability and am a bit shocked at his 1 years extension by this new board, but come to think of it, the club probably have a plan.
It is very well looking like a 2021 assualt with new gun players and a new coach, so just hang in there buddy.

I also find it very disrespectful for comments like Lyn getting down on her knees and deep throating Des, seriously mate, she may OR may not be a success at Chairperson but please give her some respect, if not for her role as Chairperson of the club, at the very least for it being the daughter of the late Peter "Bullfrog" Moore who gave us a lot of success in the past.
It’s not okay to tell fans to expect that we’re gonna have a couple of bad seasons and wait until fucking 2021, we could be playing a lot better right now with a coach who has an idea and some good signings that we are able to make right now instead of waiting fucking 2 years

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The damage the old board has done has a long ripple effect that takes time. Unfortunately that's the way it is mate.
You know Hoppa, Jackson, Tolman and Holland are still on back ended deals for next year.
When the club states that they won't be completley out of this turmoil until 2021, then you better believe it because it's true.
Yes we do have some money under the cap, but come 2020 when we are purchasing for the 2021 season expect us to have a war chest.

I, like others have lost confidence in Pay's coaching ability and am a bit shocked at his 1 years extension by this new board, but come to think of it, the club probably have a plan.
It is very well looking like a 2021 assualt with new gun players and a new coach, so just hang in there buddy.

I also find it very disrespectful for comments like Lyn getting down on her knees and deep throating Des, seriously mate, she may OR may not be a success at Chairperson but please give her some respect, if not for her role as Chairperson of the club, at the very least for it being the daughter of the late Peter "Bullfrog" Moore who gave us a lot of success in the past.
Well said. I think the danger though is do we start supporting Pay to the hilt when it's seemingly pretty clear he's not up to the job? Do we bring in coaching support? Especially when we honestly don't see him being our long-term #1.

Personally I've got nothing against the board at this stage. I mean, what can they do? Sack him immediately? For who? Not give him the extension? Then what player would sign not knowing who the coach would be?

I don't see Pay being our long-term coach, and we all do need to grit our teeth a little and bear the pain. It ain't easy though ...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club keeps talking about back ended deals. Plodman and Jackson must be on some insane figures for 2020 for us to be so handicapped until then. Why aren’t we trying to move them on the same way we moved on Klemmer, Woods, Mobye etc.

The club keeps talking about an assault in 2021. What the fuck that’s an age away. What’s that going to do. That’s another 5 years down the drain. Look at Manly they had the same problem. They’ve been in the wildnerness with a clean cap.
I am sure the board has its disciples posting on the kennel.
Well then how about you wake the fuck up and sign some players...oh and oops guess what your gunna have to pay overs so get used to it...look at the ladder
Excuses excuses excuses

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The club keeps talking about back ended deals. Plodman and Jackson must be on some insane figures for 2020 for us to be so handicapped until then. Why aren’t we trying to move them on the same way we moved on Klemmer, Woods, Mobye etc.
Because we were still paying part of their salaries last year. There's no point in paying players to play at other clubs - we can't even field a good side with the players we have.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
It’s not okay to tell fans to expect that we’re gonna have a couple of bad seasons and wait until fucking 2021, we could be playing a lot better right now with a coach who has an idea and some good signings that we are able to make right now instead of waiting fucking 2 years
You keep talking about “these” “good” “signings” we can make now, but you always fail to tell us who are these good signings we can sign now?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Club are smart only giving out 2 year contracts at the moment. Means we can then pick and choose who we want.

HOWEVER I can't help but feel this is also costing us players (from elsewhere) who may want to be signed up for longer.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Because we were still paying part of their salaries last year. There's no point in paying players to play at other clubs - we can't even field a good side with the players we have.
Lets just take a haircut and ship them off. We need to start recruiting now.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Club are smart only giving out 2 year contracts at the moment. Means we can then pick and choose who we want.

HOWEVER I can't help but feel this is also costing us players (from elsewhere) who may want to be signed up for longer.
Like who ?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep so we would have less money to attract better players. Smart idea

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We can't do that... if we are paying them to plat at other clubs it comes out of our salary cap. Remember when Inu joined us mid 2012?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I would not be surprised if Montoya was back ended also because when Des resigned him he was playing quite well. Also you left out Foran out of that list.. Im Sure RFM and Fualolo were also signed under teh previous regime so nothing would surprise me..

And people think that they are lying about the cap situation, they obviously dont understand how backending works and why they do it ..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Montoya was back ended also because when Des resigned him he was playing quite well. Also you left out Foran out of that list.. Im Sure RFM and Fualolo were also signed under teh previous regime so nothing would surprise me..

And people think that they are lying about the cap situation, they obviously dont understand how backending works and why they do it ..
I'm hearing some reasons as to why they re-signed Pay.

Apparently because he's cheap and there is also a cap problem with off-field spending.

Would anyone like to give their opinion/or insight on this? I don't quite understand how this off-field cap works.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks OTR.

But I still don't understand our excuse for re-signing Pay. I'm trying to join the dots here.

For example, is there a particular date where we have to comply with the cap, like a future date or something, this would give clubs the time to start making changes to get under the cap.

Are we cleaning up uneeded extra staff like the sacking of Andrew Farrar, Warren Mcdonnell, Gareth Holmes etc to free up cash to make an assualt for a better coach in 2021. Is that why we extended Pay's deal?

There's two issues I wrestle with........1.How obvious it is for us as fans from the outside that we need a new coach and we need some talented players, nothing immediate is being done.
2.The board can't be that dumb, they would have a plan in place, surely they are putting together something for the better of the club/teams future.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Apparently because he's cheap and there is also a cap problem with off-field spending.

Would anyone like to give their opinion/or insight on this? I don't quite understand how this off-field cap works.
The off field cap isn't the same as the players cap. If you are familiar with the luxury tax in the NBA its the same thing.

You don't lose competition points if you go over you just have to pay the amount you go over plus 30%

I can't see that really being a excuse to re-sign Pay when they did.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have no inside info what so ever, but i can see the reason why they re-signed Pay. He is cheap and anyone taking the Job at the Bulldogs right now would be commiting career suicide.. The coaching role at the bulldogs will become much more attractive to a topline coach when there is a warchest at there disposal (2021) .. Let Pay ride out the tough years..simple and strategic

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have no inside info what so ever, but i can see the reason why they re-signed Pay. He is cheap and anyone taking the Job at the Bulldogs right now would be commiting career suicide.. The coaching role at the bulldogs will become much more attractive to a topline coach when there is a warchest at there disposal (2021) .. Let Pay ride out the tough years..simple and strategic
I agree 100% G_Dog

About 75% of our squad is off contract at the end of 2020(including the Hoppa, Tolman & Jackson back ended deals)

If I was the board, I'd be annoucing some heavy duty player signings halfway through 2020 & negotiating behind the scenes with a really good coach for 2020.

I do think this board has a plan, and a really good one TBH. The question is, will they survive the February 2020 AGM elections to see it through?

Also, it would be a tragedy for the current board to be voted out and a new board take over to reap the rewards of the current board's work. Time will tell.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% G_Dog

About 75% of our squad is off contract at the end of 2020(including the Hoppa, Tolman & Jackson back ended deals)

If I was the board, I'd be annoucing some heavy duty player signings halfway through 2020 & negotiating behind the scenes with a really good coach for 2020.

I do think this board has a plan, and a really good one TBH. The question is, will they survive the February 2020 AGM elections to see it through?
it would be extremely hard for them to show their hand without completely throwing Pay under the bus... even though it appears that is the plan..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The off field cap isn't the same as the players cap. If you are familiar with the luxury tax in the NBA its the same thing.

You don't lose competition points if you go over you just have to pay the amount you go over plus 30%

I can't see that really being a excuse to re-sign Pay when they did.
Although it could count as a small contributor as the reason why...but I think G_Dog hit the nail on the head with his post.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it would be extremely hard for them to show their hand without completely throwing Pay under the bus... even though it appears that is the plan..
Yes it will, but it's going to require some common sense among the voting members.