Daniel Saifiti

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury is expected to make a play for Newcastle big man Daniel Saifiti if the former Blues prop is squeezed out of the club because of salary cap restraints. The Bulldogs have emerged as a keen suitor for Saifiti as they look to stiffen up their forward pack. The Knights are reluctant to let Saifiti break his deal early but are in the process of working through ways to tidy up their salary cap situation. Saifiti and centre Bradman Best may be the unlucky casualties as the club looks to rejig its roster.

The 27-year-old is on a mega deal worth more than $800,000 with his contract not expiring until the end of 2026. His twin brother Jacob is also contracted to the Knights until the end of next year.

The Bulldogs are also expected to make a play for Blues star Payne Haas, should he not extend with the Broncos, before he hits the open market on November 1. While Haas is still contracted until the end of next year, the Bulldogs could land Saifiti for 2024 should the Knights let him go.

Aside from Best and Saifiti, the Knights are still working through discussions with Blues back-rower Tyson Frizell, who is off-contract this year and being courted by the Tigers.

The Knights need to move swiftly because aside from Frizell they still have Adam Clune, Bailey Hodgson, Brodie Jones, Enari Tuala, Hymel Hunt, Jack Johns, Kurt Mann and Lachlan Fitzgibbon off-contract at the end of the year.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Saifiti but if those figures are anywhere near the mark then you'd want the Knights to be chipping in at least 200k. Which they probably wouldn't do.. 800k is way too much.
100% agree… surely we wouldn’t bend over and cop Saifiti’s full freight! But then again….

We’ve chipped a decent portion of Cotric wage, DWZ as well and no doubt Corey Allen’s wage is being subsidised by us too.

Saifiti is a good player… but if he’s being paid $800k…. I’d much rather the Dogs cough up another 200-300k more and go hard for Haas instead

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Chipping in atleast 400k
That'd be great but would never happen. 550-600k for an Origin calibre prop isn't horrible with the new cap. Anything more than that or close to 800k is overpaying. Like @Total Fool said, if you're paying anything near that for Saifiti, you're better off making a huge offer for Haas instead.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That'd be great but would never happen. 550-600k for an Origin calibre prop isn't horrible with the new cap. Anything more than that or close to 800k is overpaying. Like @Total Fool said, if you're paying anything near that for Saifiti, you're better off making a huge offer for Haas instead.
He has had one good season and has been average for the majority of his career

No doubt he would be an upgrade over some of the props we have but he aint worth more than 500k

The only huge offer we should be making is for a top tier halfback, and the only top halfback I can see breaking contract is Ben Hunt, for obvious reasons

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How big an improvement would he be on our current props?

Let's put money to the side, him and his current form would place him where in our roster?

Starting prop? On the bench?

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be worth a serious look if knights kick in $200k/yr.
Ponga deal will bite them in the arse will need to move on some talent to accomodate his $

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How big an improvement would he be on our current props?

Let's put money to the side, him and his current form would place him where in our roster?

Starting prop? On the bench?
Starting easily. He's what TPJ should be.. He's aggressive, impactful in attack and defence but he does it consistently and with way less brain snaps. Still, 800k is way too much so that will make it hard to sign him unless that figure is way off or the Knights chip in a decent percentage.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
800k swivel on it 500k with knights chipping in is a good deal

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has had one good season and has been average for the majority of his career

No doubt he would be an upgrade over some of the props we have but he aint worth more than 500k

The only huge offer we should be making is for a top tier halfback, and the only top halfback I can see breaking contract is Ben Hunt, for obvious reasons
I agree that ideally he's not worth much more than that but unfortunately the inflated market and lack of forward options available means he'd cost more. We both agree that 800k is crazy money

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear us linked with props. Not sure what the grand scheme of things are but we are light on in the middle so any help we can get will help us. Especially in tight games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I call bullshit. He's been massively out of form the last 2 years. We need much better. Haas or the next best thing (not Saifiti who would struggle to make the top 30 middles in the NRL currently). Klemmer was Knight best middle last year and Leo Thompson is Knight best middle this year. I think Saifiti would be a risk even at 400k.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I call bullshit. He's been massively out of form the last 2 years. We need much better. Haas or the next best thing (not Saifiti who would struggle to make the top 30 middles in the NRL). Klemmer was Knight best middle last year and Leo Thompson is Knight best middle this year. I think Saifiti would be a risk even at 400k.
Omfg this is getting insane now