Official Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with New Zealand Warriors

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our most consistent in 2020….Tolman
Our most consistent in 2021….DWZ
There will be some nervous boys in the dressing room.
I love the Dogs. But this sort of thing frustrates me no end.
Our position in 2020…..lucky not to get the spoon
Our position in 2021…..fighting not to get the spoon

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Unbelievable that DWZ was on more than $800k for next year, such that we have to AGAIN fork out coin for someone not playing with us.
His time at the Dogs was mixed. In some games he couldn't catch a ball, in others he was the strongest returner of the ball. I can't specifically say that he's a good defender or organised our defences effectively.
But the biggest concern for our roster management was his salary. AGAIN....he's contracted to receive over $800k in 2022. Clearly he's not worth anything more than half that so obviously we had AGAIN backended a contract.
Pay, Hill and Anderson were at the Club when the DWZ deal was done. They had categorically stated that the bad old days of backending contracts was behind us with the departure of Hasler, Castle and Dibb. So clearly they lied. Who else at the Club is also still on a backended deal?The fans demand accountability of our front office and transparency!!!
I hope DWZ every success as a Warrior. He was an enthusiastic Bulldog.
Errrry player contract should be listed NBA style.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
"If only the bulldogs loved me back"

Pfft

You got 800k worth of love and were only capable of giving back 400k worth of love on your best days.

Claims to have not signed anything with another club atm
Yeah because he probably keeps fumbling the pen

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Pfft

You got 800k worth of love and were only capable of giving back 400k worth of love on your best days.

That isn't his fault (blame the Andersons/previous board) and if you expect him to leave 400k on the table when he has a family... ? This is no different to Foran (Hasler/Dib/Castle). Both players gave their all when on the field, you're blaming/targeting your hate towards the wrong person/people.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unbelievable that DWZ was on more than $800k for next year, such that we have to AGAIN fork out coin for someone not playing with us.
His time at the Dogs was mixed. In some games he couldn't catch a ball, in others he was the strongest returner of the ball. I can't specifically say that he's a good defender or organised our defences effectively.
But the biggest concern for our roster management was his salary. AGAIN....he's contracted to receive over $800k in 2022. Clearly he's not worth anything more than half that so obviously we had AGAIN backended a contract.
Pay, Hill and Anderson were at the Club when the DWZ deal was done. They had categorically stated that the bad old days of backending contracts was behind us with the departure of Hasler, Castle and Dibb. So clearly they lied. Who else at the Club is also still on a backended deal?The fans demand accountability of our front office and transparency!!!
I hope DWZ every success as a Warrior. He was an enthusiastic Bulldog.
Absolutely right! You know there should NOW be something written into the club's constitution that if a player is moved on & we have to pay them to play at another club then it comes out of the pockets of the people who signed off on the contract(s). Do you think they would be a little more careful with the club's money then? I used to work at a Bank & the first thing you learn is to handle the money as if it was your own. Unfortunately a few I worked with took it literally!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Pfft

true story.
When I got my first car I was searching for some gold rims and couldn’t quite find some in my price range of under 1k (I think?)

Then on eBay I saw some perfect ones suitable going for 700 with 3/4 days left.
So I called him with the intention of offering him 1k to take it now.
Was some wog at greenacre.
as soon as I got on the phone I started explaining my idea and he cut me off ‘bro I’ll Give it to u for 700 because the guy who is bidding is some Aussie who wants it wrapped up and shit so come get it and bid soem ridiculous amount like ten grand and it’s yours.
So I agreed and got the rims and that was that.

Is it my fault I took the deal? I was willing to pay 300 more but he’s the one who offered to give me the price of a lifetime out of some non existent panic situation.
He’s the dogs here,
And I’m DWZ (I’m actually Nasheed but for the purposes of this cautionary tale I’m DWZ).
You see?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club isn’t required to and won’t ever ‘explain’. This is all speculation. Remember that 4 of the 7 directors from the Anderson board are still on the Khoury board and although not all directors since on the recruitment committee, they are all aware of the specifics. I’ve been assured more than once that most of the stories in the media about salaries and transfers have a fair bit of poetic licence and I’ve no reason to disbelieve that.
I don't think you're getting what I am saying. I clarified further in my 2nd post in this thread.
The clubs is obviously not obligated to 'explain' the specifics...
What I am saying is we've let go of our best player, who we are now paying for next year. They said on multiple occasions that this wouldn't occur again.
Obviously these figures thrown around are garbage. I work in an industry not too far from sports and from my contacts and knowledge I know this for a fact.
The club needs to come out and say its happened or why is what I am saying, and what are the benefits.. Every other high profile player whose been told so recently has commented publicly, after their coaches or CEOs have spoken on it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just cant believe that the Andersons / Pay / HiIl put someone on a back ended contract after all we have been through
It might not have necessarily have been backended he was re-signed while playing fullback so they could have shit the bed and given him “fullback money”.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pfft

I’m sure if your boss doubled your pay you’d say “no thank you” ‍♂

You can’t blame the player for what he got paid. Blame the club

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a professional game with a salary cap limiting what can be spent on players and properly judging a player's worth --> age, position, ability, health, depth in the position, performances, squad chemistry, potential off field issues etc.

what does love have to do with it?!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Only reinforces ....what the hell were they thinkin'.......$800k!!!!!!!!

No excuse no matter how desperate we were, and an "already club proven" way of sabotaging our sc roster.

Just an awful, awful decision.

Last edited:

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd say this increases our chances of re-signing Meaney too, even if he isn't fullback next year there's more of a chance now with DWZ leaving. I can't see him having a better shot at another club.
I really hope you're right. I'm a big fan of young Meaney. He'll go alright.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thompson's our most consistent in 2021. DWZ's been in our top 3 or thereabouts tho.
But you didnt rate Thommo remember said hes over paid and wouldn't make it as a front rower in the Nrl!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dear Mods, although a few of us have the word “****” as part of our day to day vocabulary, most of us understand the importance of its specific use.

On the other hand, a couple of people have cheapened the value of this particularly Australian significant word by throwing it around “Willy Nilly”..

I would ask that you pay special notice to this disrespectful act and perhaps permanently ban those who do abuse it, most notably those that have special usage rights on this forum...
If you upgrade to The Kennel Gold ™️ you can say the word cunt.

Alternatively you can jail break your account, but that requires alot of work.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WHY are we banging on about it we don't even know what the figure is LOL Lets move on yes??..i.e next signing please and make it STAT!

Thanks for your service DWZ i thought you were alright, bit one dimensional more heart than most, you may or may not have absolutely won footy lotto in terms of dollars earnt(only you and the club REALLY know)so best wishes under that mung Nathan Brown your an easy going guy you will be fine champ..do well xox LOL.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think you're getting what I am saying. I clarified further in my 2nd post in this thread.
The clubs is obviously not obligated to 'explain' the specifics...
What I am saying is we've let go of our best player, who we are now paying for next year. They said on multiple occasions that this wouldn't occur again.
Obviously these figures thrown around are garbage. I work in an industry not too far from sports and from my contacts and knowledge I know this for a fact.
The club needs to come out and say its happened or why is what I am saying, and what are the benefits.. Every other high profile player whose been told so recently has commented publicly, after their coaches or CEOs have spoken on it.
I didn’t see your second post.
I’d suggest there’s more to the puzzle and that’s why there’s been no official comment from anyone (Bulldogs/Warriors/NRL) - it’s all just media noise. As for any ‘policy’ changes re: pay to play elsewhere, yes, that was stated by Lynne Anderson as a policy of ‘never again’. Perhaps that policy has changed under Khoury’s Chairmanship - I will ask this at the member forum in two weeks (assuming DWZ situation resolved by then). I wouldn’t necessarily call any previous statement a ‘lie’ - but perhaps a change in policy and frankly I don’t see how it’s possible to not pay some freight (all clubs) when players move on before end of contract. Recent examples eg: TPJ/Ponies where they will pick up some freight for his 2022 deal in order to move him on. Focussing back on the Dogs, I’d suggest if DWZ is going, it is definitely tied to another inbound recruit and those pieces of the puzzle are still being finalised. The club will speak when appropriate and in the meantime the media will do what it does - create clicks and revenue for itself and rely on people’s short memories for how accurate their reporting is.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
it is a professional game with a salary cap limiting what can be spent on players and properly judging a player's worth --> age, position, ability, health, depth in the position, performances, squad chemistry, potential off field issues etc.

what does love have to do with it?!

Track

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Serious question.. do we insert the usual cause about not being able to play against us this year? Could go either way… he has his days where he has feet for hands but then he can also get you on the front foot with over 200 running metres.. usually tough metres.

Last edited: