Official Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with Bulldogs effective immediately.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure I heard an interview where Dean Pay said he would have liked to get 5 more DWZs. F..king glad we didn't

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm sure I heard an interview where Dean Pay said he would have liked to get 5 more DWZs. F..king glad we didn't
DWZ had a good season in 2019 and if we didn't re-sign him at least 90% of fans would of been pissed (we weren't an attractive place to play for so our contracts were scuffed). Since the start of 2020 he's been no better than a 200k winger. He also isn't being paid over 550k (way too much going off everything except his 2019 form, he's worth closer to 350-400k when he's not dropping the ball and having brain explosions multiple times a game, which he's done for 1 year now) so people need to stop pushing that he is on closer to 700k, no chance.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair he almost single handedly turned our 2019 season around when he arrived. The way he was bringing the ball back from kicks gave us momentum and he was awesome.

Then last year he just lost all confidence. It was bizarre. He tried to bring the ball back strongly but kept losing the ball during contact. He then tried to protect the ball a bit more but in doing so he didnt run as hard.

And judging by the highlights on the weekend his defence hasnt improved much.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldn’t be comparing 12 month extensions of Lewis and Pay to an imaginary $10m salary cap and 3 years of purgatory, but let’s not go over old ground again. Baz (nor anyone) would’ve been able to recruit significantly for 2020 had they come in 12 months earlier. Of course everyone makes mistakes, just as likely will Warburton and members of the current board (4 of whom still serve per previous admin). There’s always rigorous debate - just as there was with the CEO appointment recently. Doesn’t make anyone ‘incompetent’ as some around here like to claim.
I’m not comparing the two that’s you bringing that into the conversation. I disagree about the recruitment for 2020 things could have been done better while we didn’t have a full cap to work with I don’t think we spent the money we had wisely. Sorry but Pay was incompetent he was out of his depth, had trouble attracting talent, played favourites and could hardly communicate with players at times. He was more worried about his next piss up rather then running a NRL side and I got told that by someone in the club. You can down play it all you what but iy was a massive mistake re-signing him.

Reactions: GDR

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the two that’s you bringing that into the conversation. I disagree about the recruitment for 2020 things could have been done better while we didn’t have a full cap to work with I don’t think we spent the money we had wisely. Sorry but Pay was incompetent he was out of his depth, had trouble attracting talent, played favourites and could hardly communicate with players at times. He was more worried about his next piss up rather then running a NRL side and I got told that by someone in the club. You can down play it all you what but iy was a massive mistake re-signing him.
OK. Have a good day :-).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
To be fair he almost single handedly turned our 2019 season around when he arrived. The way he was bringing the ball back from kicks gave us momentum and he was awesome.

Then last year he just lost all confidence. It was bizarre. He tried to bring the ball back strongly but kept losing the ball during contact. He then tried to protect the ball a bit more but in doing so he didnt run as hard.

And judging by the highlights on the weekend his defence hasnt improved much.
Yes he did in 2019. Played brilliant from the back. Then lost most of that form since.

I guess as people say, hindsight a wonderful thing, but a lot of fans predicted his gold to bulldust tendencies when at Penrith.

Probably a bit more patience with re-signing him may have been wise and especially evaluate his past playing record when assessing him. It was well known why Penrith didn't want him.

Anyway what's done is done.

Pay gone, old Board gone.
Barrett here, new Board here.

Club is moving up off the bottom.

Doesn't mean we can't evaluate between Pay and Anderson Board to what we have now but be fair when assessing the impediments they faced.

As far as my opinion goes...their recruitment was 2nd rate and they did spend money we did have on that recruitment, so it's fair to judge their effectiveness in signing several good quality players for the team. They didn't.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No one is saying you have to have 30 superstars are they? Everyone is aware you need depth and squad fillers but what did the previous admin bring in that would have been anything besides a stop gap option? They bring in Dean Britt when someone like Toby Rudolf was available for similar money as one example. No one expects them to get it right every time either but you want more hits then misses and they missed on the vast majority.

Who knows who we would have got instead of Tbaz but he has shown what happens when you bring in a coach that can recruit which is why it was a massive waste of a year re-signing Pay.

No one is saying being on a board is easy and the Anderson board was quick enough to point out previous mistakes made so it’s fair game for them to wear criticism too wouldn’t you say?
Hell...I still get shocked every time I read about it :fearscream:

Last edited: