News Dallin Watene-Zelezniak opens up on mental health, difficult 2020 season

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You said
- did that form warrant the money he is reported only? If that form continued - absolutely.
and im saying at no point of DWZ career, has he been worth anywhere near 800k.

but that just my opinion.. after that season i would been ok with 500k, but in hindsight, that is still too much..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
fucking ridiculous
no wonder katoa got so fat, he would have been going thru kfc drive thru sneakies before dinner
For sure.

Biggest red flag was when Pay was ripping in on Mad Monday like one of the boys.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It takes courage to come out say what he said - it's a dark place to be in when you're questioning your job.

The only way to fix a problem is to admit there is a problem to begin with.

Hope he gets all the help he needs.
I agree with that sentiment but admissions of that nature should be in house, within the nurturing environment of the club and any professional help they have been providing for him.

For me although it was prob said for good reasons, it puts more pressure on him.

I can certainly see a player of Wade Graham's calibre using it to bait him.

Let's keep these faults/challenges in our playing roster's mindset and gameplans (Flanno) to ourselves.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Athletes have heaps on time off though...it's why so many are piss heads and get caught fucking around doing dumb shit.
No problem with them having time off, but when all the other clubs are doing hours extra than us per week its no wonder to see why were behind all the time
Anyway im glad those times are over now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No problem with them having time off, but when all the other clubs are doing hours extra than us per week its no wonder to see why were behind all the time
Anyway im glad those times are over now
I'm sure our schedule was shit, but I don't think it's that unusual to he done by 2pm some days.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No issues with anyone criticizing his defensive reads or his overall form. My comment was more around those having a go at him stating he was going through mental health issues, which is pretty outrageous really. I honestly don't think he was making excuses either, he was just saying his bad form got him down and he got in his own head too much.

Also don't really understand those saying they wish players would shut up and do their talking on the field. I mean yeah sure but do we just want a bunch of robots saying 'no comment' every time a reporter asks a question? This is part of being a professional athlete. It's not like he was making claims about how many tries he was going to score this season.
I don't see how poor form getting into his head is considered as mental health issues?? I think it is undermining those who really do have mental health issues so let's not mistaken work related sporting issues with mental health issues. There is a very big difference and that is the part I don't get when he describes his poor form getting into his head causing mental health issues.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see how poor form getting into his head is considered as mental health issues?? I think it is undermining those who really do have mental health issues so let's not mistaken work related sporting issues with mental health issues. There is a very big difference and that is the part I don't get when he describes his poor form getting into his head causing mental health issues.
There could be other things going on that he didn’t want to discuss in public and that’s totally his right. So I’m just taking the article on face value and totally agree with what you said. It’s not necessary DWZ’s fault either I don’t think the wording the journalist used helps at all.

Reactions: GDR

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure our schedule was shit, but I don't think it's that unusual to he done by 2pm some days.
Probably not, but not all the time. And like you say its obvious it was shit, the time we did spend on training @Malla s mate was just throwing balls at the wall and doing junk sessions haha
No hyperbaric chamber, not using all of the equipment as per what some others have said. Disappointing

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The headline is a little deceiving really. If the fella is battling depression then I get it and all the best to the guy. I know the black abyss that it is. BUT in reading that I didn't see anything that was suggesting "mental health" other then he admits that it was tough to be losing and playing shite. None of the quotes indicated someone who know's the black dog or the bottomless pit it is in depression.

Anyways, I'm glad if he doesn't know these things but I hope they just didn't try to hijack a very serious and real issue.....

Hope he plays well this year, we and him need it!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The closest I ever came to professional sports was getting to the regionals in cross country at school. So I don't presume to know what the pressure of playing at an elite level is. But our expectations on DWZ were high because of his profile and the figures thrown around about his pay packet. I won't pretend that he was the only player to make stupid errors last year. It was a characteristic of our team that when the pressure hit we could easily fold.

So I have some admiration that he's come out and admitted that he wants to improve. I understand the fact that his form drop probably affected his mental health and that professional sportsmen can succumb to the pressure and exacerbate their form issues.

I just hope that he plays out of his skin this year and we all wind up glad to have him again.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I had a touch of faith in him going from shit to ok this season till i saw him drop it coming out of our own 20 in the trial fmd.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Hey shared no insights of what those answers he could not find back then actually are. Worries me because he should be sharing how he realised he needed to let his instincts back into the game and no longer overthink the plays. His IQ drops bad when he overthinks and second guesses himself. I would make him meditate 2 x 1 hours every day to get him used to stilling the mind and just connecting to his environment intuitively. Otherwise, he is going to spiral back down even faster.

Malla

Reaction score
Probably not, but not all the time. And like you say its obvious it was shit, the time we did spend on training @Malla s mate was just throwing balls at the wall and doing junk sessions haha
No hyperbaric chamber, not using all of the equipment as per what some others have said. Disappointing
Please don’t make me remember king James. The club really misses him lol

Malla

Reaction score
If he is going through mental health problems I feel for him, but at the end of the day he is getting paid a large amount of money to perform at a certain level. My advice to him would be that he put himself into this situation, he’s put the pressure on himself by signing the deal. Nobody forced him here, he had a falling out at Penrith and we took him in. If it’s too much, maybe it’s best for him to walk away. He can then go pack boxes and see what the real world is like.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to save face and protect his image, only way that’s going to happen is on the field. Let’s hope he finds his 2019 form and we can all forget last year