News Dallin Watene-Zelezniak opens up on mental health, difficult 2020 season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has revealed how the emotional toll of last season pushed him into a depressed state where he was left “spiralling down” and questioning why he was even playing rugby league.

In an extraordinary self-appraisal of his 2020 year, the Bulldogs star at a low point confided to himself: “Man, what am I doing?’, ‘What am I doing wrong?’, ‘I can’t seem to figure it out’…I had no answers.”

“It was the worst year I’ve ever had football-wise since I was four years old,” he said.

The captain of this year’s Maori All Stars side has now dedicated this season to “earning back some respect”.

“Let’s just say ‘last year never happened’,” Watene-Zelezniak, 25, said.

“I felt like I was letting people down.

“And the more I thought about it, the more I kept spiralling down. I want to forget about last year and earn my respect back. Last year, that’s not how I want to be known.

“It was kind of depressing, especially when people are relying on you to create things. For senior guys in teams, it comes back on them.
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is ready to bounce back. Picture: Richard Dobson

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is ready to bounce back. Picture: Richard Dobson

“You get those questions: ‘Why I am playing?’ You get really negative. Then you think: ‘I can’t do this, I can’t do this’. I was really, really bad last year. It was the worst year I’ve ever had football-wise since I was four years old.

“I had thoughts: ‘Man, what am I doing?’, ‘What am I doing wrong?’, ‘I can’t seem to figure it out’… I had no answers. Hopefully I can just forget last year. That’s not how I want to play football – it’s not the reason why I chose to play football as a kid.”

Watene-Zelezniak’s individual performances mirrored the Bulldogs’ battles as they won just three of 20 games last season.

Watene-Zelezniak started the season at fullback, then shifted to centre and wing while scoring just two tries from 18 matches.

The misery impacted on Watene-Zelezniak’s mental state.

“It was hard to – how do I put it – find yourself when you’re losing so much and you’re not playing well. As I said, it was pretty depressing and I was finding it hard to play at my best. I was trying to play catch-up,” he said.

“If there was something last year taught me, it was you can’t live in the past and you can’t focus on it otherwise you will keep spiralling down.

“When the team is relying on you and certain boys look up to you, I have been in a leadership role for the last few years now, and you’re not playing your best, then that gets to me.

Watene-Zelezniak scores in a trial against the Sharks. (Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

Watene-Zelezniak scores in a trial against the Sharks. (Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

“Last year, without making excuses, globally everything was (unprecedented). It wasn’t so much off the field that was bad, it was the performances I putting in each week – it was nowhere near my best.

“I was just trying to find my way back. I stripped it right back to my support network – my wife, kids, my family, my mum and dad are people I go to as well.”

After a big off season under new coach Trent Barrett, Watene-Zelezniak has returned to Belmore fit, healthy and mentally fresh.

And his optimism has only increased after the club recruited Corey Allan, Nick Cotric and Kyle Flanagan.

“I haven’t take any short cuts and I have put my best foot forward in pre-season to earn some respect back and get myself ready for the year so I don’t have to try and play catch-up physically,” he said.

“For me now, it’s about the mental side of the game. If I can get my mental state right, getting my mind back to where it was a few years ago, then I should be sweet. It’s probably been the toughest pre-season I have done. It’s been long and I’m just happy football is back.

“The pre-season this year has given me confidence in myself and knowing that I’ve done some work to hopefully get back and play some good football.”

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doing a shit job and still getting paid 800k ... They don't sound like grounds for depression to me..

People lost their livelyhoods during covid ffs.. bit of perspective wouldn't hurt from some of these guys..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doing a shit job and still getting paid 800k ... They don't sound like grounds for depression to me..

People lost their livelyhoods during covid ffs.. bit of perspective wouldn't hurt from some of these guys..
Yeah bringing in mental health into it didn’t sit well with me. Being depressed about things at work is a big difference to having depression. This article really blurred the lines.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Battling families who have just enough income each week to pay the rent or mortgage, struggling to give their kids an opportunity in life, working hard 5 or 6 days a week..... they just don't have time or money to have a depression.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Clearly he was in his own head last season as most of his errors were confidence based or lapses in concentration. At least he's trying to address it... Whether it works or not is another thing. He looked good and confident in the All-Stars game but was back to making basic errors in the trial against Cronulla.

Hopefully when he does make a few errors, he can shake it off better than he did last season because this year might be make or break for him.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he first came on board he showed lots of potential and was really affective so he is capable but it's up to him to play well week in week out.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Exactly.

Not only that, but also EVERYONE has been affected by this in one way or another.

Honestly this is the world we live in today. Someone gets a little bit upset over something and suddenly it's mental health/depression.

HARDEN UP FFS.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please send a message to Barrett to put a media ban on the players. We are sounding like little kids lately......

Poor Flanno getting hammered and Elliot coming out to say he will protect him. Now this shit!!!

We have had to endure 6 years of rubbish from this club, just to put it nicely. It would be good to see some steel in the organisation as a whole.

FFS just play footy earn your big dollars, win a comp and then talk. The whole team and club have a lot to prove before respect is earned.

Rant over. Feel good now. Thank you for listening.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad he knows last year was unacceptable (obviously Pay didn't though) and hope he gets back to the player he was when he first joined us. Still overpaid though.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The club as a whole should have sorted this one out last year. Hopefully we have the right people to give our squad all the help they need.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bit harsh some of the comments on here. I've got no doubt his form last year would've taken a pretty big toll on his mental health, he came over as one of the team's leaders and probably one of the few players we had that had a bit of an x factor and he had an absolute shocker. At least he's come out publicly and acknowledged it.

The fact that he's on so much coin doesn't sit well with me either but that's really the fault of our management at the time.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hold on a sec.

Let's back up here. He signed for us. Absolutely played out of his skin for us on his arrival. As a result, we gave him an extension with the dollars associated - did that form warrant the money he is reported only? If that form continued - absolutely. But based on form last year - hell no.

Apart of me is hoping both he and Napa have cracker seasons just to shut some people up on this forum. They're both good players when a team is going well. So let's see how they go when we are even more competitive, which I am hoping will happen under Baz. PS - this isn't me wanting them to be re-signed to a 10 year deal, just me wanting to see the best out of our most experienced players. If they can hit their straps again - I am sure we will be better for it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hold on a sec.

Let's back up here. He signed for us. Absolutely played out of his skin for us on his arrival. As a result, we gave him an extension with the dollars associated - did that form warrant the money he is reported only? If that form continued - absolutely. But based on form last year - hell no.

Apart of me is hoping both he and Napa have cracker seasons just to shut some people up on this forum. They're both good players when a team is going well. So let's see how they go when we are even more competitive, which I am hoping will happen under Baz. PS - this isn't me wanting them to be re-signed to a 10 year deal, just me wanting to see the best out of our most experienced players. If they can hit their straps again - I am sure we will be better for it.
DWZ was never worth those $$$...a shockingly inconsistent player with terrible hands. Thankfully the clowns that offered him that deal are gone.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DWZ was never worth those $$$...a shockingly inconsistent player with terrible hands. Thankfully the clowns that offered him that deal are gone.
Short memories tbh.

He came in during middle of 2019 and was playing outstanding for us. Remember, we were dead last when he joined. He instilled a real sense of fearlessness in the team, brought a sense of professionalism to a bunch of largely reggies players, and we on 7 out of the 10 games he played for us. Or maybe it was 6/9 (IIRC he missed one of our wins).

And as I said - his form did not continue, so no, was not worth that money. But he was playing well at fullback for us, and our stupid board saw that those 10 games were enough to warrant him the big dollars. So in all, I agree with you that those clowns are gone, but I still vividly remember how well he played for us - mainly because I was so against his signing when it happened, but by the end of the season, I was eating up a nice serving of humble pie.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Short memories tbh.

He came in during middle of 2019 and was playing outstanding for us. Remember, we were dead last when he joined. He instilled a real sense of fearlessness in the team, brought a sense of professionalism to a bunch of largely reggies players, and we on 7 out of the 10 games he played for us. Or maybe it was 6/9 (IIRC he missed one of our wins).

And as I said - his form did not continue, so no, was not worth that money. But he was playing well at fullback for us, and our stupid board saw that those 10 games were enough to warrant him the big dollars. So in all, I agree with you that those clowns are gone, but I still vividly remember how well he played for us - mainly because I was so against his signing when it happened, but by the end of the season, I was eating up a nice serving of humble pie.
Not me, I never bought into the hype. I was always firmly of the belief that he was never a long-term fullback option or worth the $$$ we were offering and got smashed for it. The amount of people that role me he was "the Kiwi fullback" was laughable. Now look how quickly those posters have turned on him...

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Clearly he was in his own head last season as most of his errors were confidence based or lapses in concentration. At least he's trying to address it... Whether it works or not is another thing. He looked good and confident in the All-Stars game but was back to making basic errors in the trial against Cronulla.

Hopefully when he does make a few errors, he can shake it off better than he did last season because this year might be make or break for him.
Let’s face it.our whole team struggled last year.poor positional changes,coach gets sacked we have an interim coach step in.
He was never gonna cut it at full back dropping those bombs would have shaken his confidence.he is a winger every day of the week and if he can cut the errors and work on his defence he could be right up there.