News Daley urges Cotric to stay at Canberra for less

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
price -
I think an offer of 650 would be fair.he is a 550 player but given we have to pay overs it would equate to that.
to sign or not -
big, strong and determined player and is 21.we could get 6 to 8 good years out of him at centre and someone consistently stable like joshy morris was for us.
think its worth it and we then add a hooker ,fullback and possibly half after foz in a year or 2.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canberra legend Laurie Daley has warned off-contract Raiders winger Nick Cotric to be wary of leaving to join Canterbury on big dollars, saying the pressure to perform at the battling Bulldogs is a risk.

Daley‘s advice comes as the battle for Cotric’s signature is heating up with the flyer’s agent hoping to secure a five-year deal.

The NCA NewsWire can reveal his manager Sam Ayoub is pushing for a long-term contract so he can lock in his future with the Raiders outside back.

Ayoub has linked with the Australian and NSW representative for another three seasons, so he wants a bigger deal to remain his agent beyond this date.

However, it’s understood that Cotric is only interested in a three-year deal as rivals Canterbury circle for his signature.

Daley believes the Cooma-born 21-year-old must think seriously about the obstacles of joining a rebuilding club like the Bulldogs before committing.

“Nick needs to weigh up what the environment will be like at Canterbury,” declared Daley, who won three premierships at the Raiders.

“Can they turn it around? Is he part of the solution? Are they going to sign other players? The challenges that he will face at Canterbury over the next couple of years because it isn’t going to be a quick fix.

“Whereas he is in a stable footy program at Canberra, it will always be competitive, and you always know what you are going to get.”

Canberra desperately want to retain Cotric, but they are facing tough competition from cashed-up Canterbury.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer a $750,000 contract over three years, while the Raiders are happy to start negotiations around the $500,000 mark also for three seasons.

Canterbury wants to lure a top-line player like Cotric in a bid to climb off the bottom of the competition ladder, but they are unwilling to offer him a deal over three years.

Daley has urged the winger to remain at Canberra if the Bulldogs don’t offer a significantly higher offer.

“If it is not a massive amount different then I don’t think you would be looking to move,” he said.

“Obviously, if it is a massive gap then you have to consider it, but you are always prepared to stay for less in a strong team that you know is going to be competitive rather than going to an unknown.”

Cotric has been a revelation since joining Canberra in 2017, scoring 36 tries in his 78 games for the club to date.

He aspires to play in the centres, which could attract more money on the open market.

However, Daley says Cotric should stay on the wing and own the position as one of the game’s premier try scorers.

“I’ve heard Nick wants to play in the centres, but you’d like to think that a winger is nearly worth more than a centre,” he said.

“It depends on how the game is going to be played and what this new (six-again) rule does.

“I think over the last few years, wingers have been more valuable than centres with the metres they run coming out of trouble.

“I know Nick played in the outside backs as a junior and would excel there, but I see him as a very good winger capable of earning big bucks as a winger.”
How about Daley stfu, there is every chance the Bulldogs could win a gf before the Raiders, Cotric cannot be guaranteed a premiership and he needs to decide on his future himself, I still think were paying too much but we need some marquee players.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we could snare Brent Naden for half the price... maybe even less... either way I believe we only need to buy 1 Centre... Averillo for the other spot.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we could snare Brent Naden for half the price... maybe even less... either way I believe we only need to buy 1 Centre... Averillo for the other spot.
agree, i said this yesterday.
On Daly, he is doing exactly what any former raiders would say in keeping him down there

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is a centre though ... Only people who have seen him in FG think he's a winger
I seen him play fullback for Aust schools and centre in junior origin and whilst he played well he's still primarily a ball runner. IMO Cotric is a upgraded version of DWZ in terms of skill set

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will be the best back we have signed since JMoz, who gave us many years of exceptional service

And I expect that just like JMoz he will make his name as a centre with us after
being considered a winger by his former club

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen him play fullback for Aust schools and centre in junior origin and whilst he played well he's still primarily a ball runner. IMO Cotric is a upgraded version of DWZ in terms of skill set
I disagree he has sized up heaps and plays hard. We need to sign someone but I doubt he will sign under Pay! DWZ runs hard but is lacking size IMO and should stay on the wing

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol 750k for Cotric?? If the club offers that we are cooked, wouldn’t go the extra mile to get a decent DH in Grant or Robson but we are willing to pay massive overs for a winger/ centre!!??
This administration is fucking cooked.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fux this moron journo claiming 750k...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And maybe that will be enough to make him not sign and demand bigger coin to go to another club...!! Reverse psychology.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I disagree he has sized up heaps and plays hard. We need to sign someone but I doubt he will sign under Pay! DWZ runs hard but is lacking size IMO and should stay on the wing
When I say upgraded version that's kind of what I meant, a bigger, faster DWZ but the point is he's primarily just a ball runner as opposed to someone like J Moz who can run the ball just as well but also draw and pass, stand up his opponent 1 on 1, offload in the tackle, etc

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fux this moron journo claiming 750k...
Some other stooge reported Canberra offered 500k but wants 550k and the centre spot.

I know the board are dumb fucks but to offer 200k more than he wants?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol 750k for Cotric?? If the club offers that we are cooked, wouldn’t go the extra mile to get a decent DH in Grant or Robson but we are willing to pay massive overs for a winger/ centre!!??
This administration is fucking cooked.
Agreed, I would rather keep that money for our juniors and play Averillo for a season or 2 in the centres with Hoppa at the back and occasionally swap them while he seasons into a regular 1st grader at either 5/8 or fullback. Throw a serious chunk at Grant or similar as this position is vital in today's game and even more so with the new faster rules.

Must sign a gun 9

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed, I would rather keep that money for our juniors and play Averillo for a season or 2 in the centres with Hoppa at the back and occasionally swap them while he seasons into a regular 1st grader at either 5/8 or fullback. Throw a serious chunk at Grant or similar as this position is vital in today's game and even more so with the new faster rules.

Must sign a gun 9
Absolutely agree mate a good running nine will go a long way to turning this side around it just frustrates the hell out of Me is that we had opportunities to get both Grant and Robson and we dropped the ball and it’s now going to be nearly impossible for us to land a quality DH even paying big overs, who would come to the bulldogs ATM? Because regardless of the shit people go on with here good players don’t sign on money alone

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes not the messiah.

Also lol about staying at the raiders for less. Who in any professional would stay in Canberra for less money?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, $750k is ridiculous for a centre or winger. Cotric will not solve our problems. If we had a good halves pairing that can steer the side around they would make any player outside them go from $300k player to $700k player. Our next signing must be a good half then build your team around him

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some other stooge reported Canberra offered 500k but wants 550k and the centre spot.

I know the board are dumb fucks but to offer 200k more than he wants?
750k is a consistent rep centre... Cotric aint that and there is no way the board would do that.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can see paying a bit of overs for a player in a key position as reasonable to fill that key position, paying cotric big overs would be a mistake, decent offer for a decent player, he is a decent player, rebuilding has to start somewhere
If the Raiders are offering Cotric 500K for 3 years then the bulldogs need to offer him at least 600K and maybe even 700K to entice him to play for a struggling team....it’s that simple....the only way to entice quality players to our club at the moment is to pay overs.....yes he is not a spine player...but we need a quality centre....who else can we sign....there is no one else available in the class of cotric for next year....look at the titans....they have offered 1.25m a year for Fifita....yes he isn’t a spine players but they want to build the club around him....we need a quality hooker half back and fullback....but at the moment they are not available...it’s sad we have to offer overs but this is where we are as a club....