News Daley urges Cotric to stay at Canberra for less

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
Canberra legend Laurie Daley has warned off-contract Raiders winger Nick Cotric to be wary of leaving to join Canterbury on big dollars, saying the pressure to perform at the battling Bulldogs is a risk.

Daley‘s advice comes as the battle for Cotric’s signature is heating up with the flyer’s agent hoping to secure a five-year deal.

The NCA NewsWire can reveal his manager Sam Ayoub is pushing for a long-term contract so he can lock in his future with the Raiders outside back.

Ayoub has linked with the Australian and NSW representative for another three seasons, so he wants a bigger deal to remain his agent beyond this date.

However, it’s understood that Cotric is only interested in a three-year deal as rivals Canterbury circle for his signature.

Daley believes the Cooma-born 21-year-old must think seriously about the obstacles of joining a rebuilding club like the Bulldogs before committing.

“Nick needs to weigh up what the environment will be like at Canterbury,” declared Daley, who won three premierships at the Raiders.

“Can they turn it around? Is he part of the solution? Are they going to sign other players? The challenges that he will face at Canterbury over the next couple of years because it isn’t going to be a quick fix.

“Whereas he is in a stable footy program at Canberra, it will always be competitive, and you always know what you are going to get.”

Canberra desperately want to retain Cotric, but they are facing tough competition from cashed-up Canterbury.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer a $750,000 contract over three years, while the Raiders are happy to start negotiations around the $500,000 mark also for three seasons.

Canterbury wants to lure a top-line player like Cotric in a bid to climb off the bottom of the competition ladder, but they are unwilling to offer him a deal over three years.

Daley has urged the winger to remain at Canberra if the Bulldogs don’t offer a significantly higher offer.

“If it is not a massive amount different then I don’t think you would be looking to move,” he said.

“Obviously, if it is a massive gap then you have to consider it, but you are always prepared to stay for less in a strong team that you know is going to be competitive rather than going to an unknown.”

Cotric has been a revelation since joining Canberra in 2017, scoring 36 tries in his 78 games for the club to date.

He aspires to play in the centres, which could attract more money on the open market.

However, Daley says Cotric should stay on the wing and own the position as one of the game’s premier try scorers.

“I’ve heard Nick wants to play in the centres, but you’d like to think that a winger is nearly worth more than a centre,” he said.

“It depends on how the game is going to be played and what this new (six-again) rule does.

“I think over the last few years, wingers have been more valuable than centres with the metres they run coming out of trouble.

“I know Nick played in the outside backs as a junior and would excel there, but I see him as a very good winger capable of earning big bucks as a winger.”

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time a struggling club tries to sign a top player, you hear this same shit. The Raiders had to deal with it years ago and now its our turn. Sigh

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In saying that $750 is way too much. Much rather go Crichton or Staggs for that kind of coin

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they're legitimately offering 750k for a winger/centre that has little influence on the outcomes of games then I also urge him to stay for less to save the club from more overspending...

Cotric is a good player but he's yet to prove himself as a centre.

If they don't urgently address the spine, it won't matter who the outside backs are as they'll never be in a position to score.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kinda hope we don't sign Cotric if we are paying $750k.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the guarantee that Canberra will stay a strong team either? If Cotric wants to player centre he might not be able to do that at Canberra. Even after dropping Scott he still hasn’t had a shot there, with Stuart preferring Oldfield.
This idea of taking less for NRL players is so stupid. You’d be lucky to have a 10 year career. To take $150k a year less doesn’t make sense as that is money that you might need post footy to set yourself up for life.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they're legitimately offering 750k for a winger/centre that has little influence on the outcomes of games then I also urge him to stay for less to save the club from more horrible overspending.

Cotric is a really good player but he's yet to prove himself as a centre and how many clubs other than ours would have their top paid players as centres and props?

If they don't urgently address the spine, it wouldn't matter if we had Gidley and Tahu as outside backs.
The problem is the club is SO desperate they may be stupid enough to pay it so they can show off a new marquee signing

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we sign him for 750k everyone involved has to go (if they don’t already)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is the club is SO desperate they may be stupid enough to pay it so they can show off a new marquee signing
I know... At least unlike Napa we'd have a good player to show for the overspending. Still, once again they're bidding against themselves. Who else is offering Cotric even 600k?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lol at 750k... can't be true. No chance and if it is then this club has officially carked it...

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol at 750k... can't be true. No chance and if it is then this club has officially carked it...
Especially considering he couldn’t out Curtis Scott for a centre position . And even this week Oldfield is in the centres

Would rather Stephen Crichton and I reckon we could get him for 400-500k

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm sure with that kind of money we can entice Rona to come back. At least he's proven he can perform.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Especially considering he couldn’t out Curtis Scott for a centre position . And even this week Oldfield is in the centres

Would rather Stephen Crichton and I reckon we could get him for 400-500k
Agree. Even at $600K Crichton would be better than Cotric at $750K. Chricton has the ball skiills to be a great center. Not sure if Cotric does. Chricton and Schoup would be a good center pairing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
750k for 3 seasons?! Or 750k a year for 3 seasons?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they're legitimately offering 750k for a winger/centre that has little influence on the outcomes of games then I also urge him to stay for less to save the club from more overspending...

Cotric is a good player but he's yet to prove himself as a centre.

If they don't urgently address the spine, it won't matter who the outside backs are as they'll never be in a position to score.
It really isnt rocket science.. the big elephant in the room is our spine and they want to continue to try to recruit forwards and outside backs to big cash..

When are they going to address the spine??..

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
If Napa is on $700k isn’t Cotric worth more?
If Napa is on 700k then Tolman is a $1.5 million player. Napa is reported to be on 600k btw.

Don't use our clubs stupidity in player valuation to gauge a players worth.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd take him for 750. Gotta realise we are paying Foran a mil and Tolman close to that lol. Fuck them both off, Burton or Lam at 6 and another front rower and it balances out. He's not like Smith or DWZ having a dream to play elsewhere, kids a centre and always has been.

Last edited: