Daily Telegraph lies about O'Meley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE Sydney Roosters are close to signing Bulldogs prop Mark O'Meley for 2008 - a move that highlights the farcical nature of yesterday's decision to scrap the anti-tampering deadline.

NRL club chief executives voted to abolish the contentious June 30 rule, allowing any player to sign with any club at any time.

O'Meley is today permitted to join a new club despite not coming off contract at Belmore until the end of 2007.

The Daily Telegraph understands he is already close to joining the Sydney Roosters, although no deal has been finalised.

O'Meley's possible switch was predictably denied yesterday, but his manager Wayne Beavis admitted he had rung the Bulldogs to ask whether the club had "given up the ghost" on their Test prop.

O'Meley could attract more money elsewhere given the Bulldogs have outlayed huge cash to retain Sonny Bill Williams and Willie Mason.

O'Meley's impending move 18 months before his contract expires – the type of signing that is now sanctioned – will cause anger and confusion among fans.

Beavis read a Daily Telegraph report last week where it was suggested the Bulldogs were poised to lose international props O'Meley and Roy Asotasi.

The story prompted Beavis to ring Bulldogs officials.

"I rang them and asked had they given up the ghost on Mark. They said 'certainly not'," Beavis said.

"But everyone will be interested in Mark. I'm sure at the appropriate time he will be well sought after.

"I've spoken to Mark but not to any other NRL clubs."

Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan denied his club had approached O'Meley while Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said that his club was still hoping to retain the representative forward.

"There hasn't been any discussion at all," Canavan said.

"(New buy) Nate Myles can play front-row. We have David Shillington, Shane Shackleton and a heap of good young juniors.

"Mark would command a lot of money. We want to see how the others come on."

Noad added: "We're confident of keeping him – we'll be doing our best."

O'Meley said recently about his chances of staying at the Bulldogs: "It all depends, you've got to look at who they are keeping and who they are losing."

At yesterday's meeting, the CEOs supported a new system that will give a player's existing club the final right to negotiate with the player before he signs with a rival team.

"The clear fact is that June 30 was not working and in practice I think the market in some ways has been operating without that rule for some time," said NRL chief executive David Gallop.

---------------------------------------------------------

It was taken from the Daily Telecrap but WTF ???? And people complain about the anti-tampering deadline ? This will be more of a farce...

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can't be possible, the anti-tampering deadline was only officially removed today. wtf. Hopefully O'Meley tells them to Eff off again. We surely can't lose 3 star forwards in 2 years. Think about the guys we have lost lately..Price, Asotasi, Myles..all big names. I hate the salary cap

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty said:
can't be possible, the anti-tampering deadline was only officially removed today. wtf. Hopefully O'Meley tells them to Eff off again. We surely can't lose 3 star forwards in 2 years. Think about the guys we have lost lately..Price, Asotasi, Myles..all big names. I hate the salary cap

The only consolation is it was written by the Daily Telecrap. Not the most reputable source....

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he does go I will be gutted after losing Roy and even Nate. The only positive I can find is that it would give us time to scout around for Props coming off contract but I'd be surprised if any of Shreks quality were available.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha yeah i reckon. There was a few similar articles to this in 2005 regarding Willie Mason. He was certain to join the Roosters at one stage. I couldn't stand to lose 3 players in 3 seasons to the roosters. O'Meley is one of my favourites too, i really hope he stays with the bulldogs for his career.

DrHouse

Waterboy
Reaction score
Get rid of the CAP it's a Joke
We develop young players and make them stars ans other clubs who do nothing buy them
ITS A JOKE

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
This is not the first time the Daily Telegraph have tried to rattle the Bulldogs and Bulldog fans before a game with the Roosters.

It's pure fantasy.....O'Meley will not be a Rooster in 2008!

A

atomic_crimson

i feel like throwing up at the story.... i read the title on someone elses paper but not the article and i was very close to getting off my train to seriosuly throw up!

Mr Bulldogs

Kennel Legend
Administrator
Reaction score
its seems to be on every news report this morning

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
WELL I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY AND THAT IS

F OFF ROOSTERS, WE ARE NOT YOUR FREAKING FEEDER CLUB.... THAT IS NEWTOWN... >:( >:( >:(

Now I am not happy about the fact we lose players, but if we lose them to Souths or to another club that needs good players to make a strong side.. then fair enough... HOWEVER the Rorters are not a club like that... they have been successful for a while now... as much as we all hate to admit it.

They have no right being the Chelsea of the NRL and buying a premiership and that is why i hope they run in the bottom half for some time yet... I am sick and tired of seeing our players being developed through our great system... only to see the Rorters buy them.. it ridiculous....>:( >:(

Here's hoping Mark gets the ear of Malcolm and he stays, he is too good for the Roosters...

Oh and if the article was meant to make blood boil before tonight, it did the trick with me.. I want more of a roasting now.. :D :D

D

Danish

Has anyone actually read the article??

Noad doesn't know about it. Canavan doesn't know about it, and even Omeley's manager doesn't know about it.

I think its a pretty safe bet that the Telecrap is full of ****. They've merely picked a fave player from one team and tried to claim he is signing with that teams most hated rival. Much like if they were to claim the Sharks were chasing Gas, or Hornby. The whole article is just geared towards getting the biggest public outcry it can.

Complete and utter fabrication at its best.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Danish said:
Has anyone actually read the article??

Noad doesn't know about it. Canavan doesn't know about it, and even Omeley's manager doesn't know about it.

I think its a pretty safe bet that the Telecrap is full of ****. They've merely picked a fave player from one team and tried to claim he is signing with that teams most hated rival. Much like if they were to claim the Sharks were chasing Gas, or Hornby. The whole article is just geared towards getting the biggest public outcry it can.

Complete and utter fabrication at its best.
BINGO!!! Well said Danish

D

Danish

Titanium Doggie said:
WELL I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY AND THAT IS

F OFF ROOSTERS, WE ARE NOT YOUR FREAKING FEEDER CLUB.... THAT IS NEWTOWN... >:( >:( >:(

Now I am not happy about the fact we lose players, but if we lose them to Souths or to another club that needs good players to make a strong side.. then fair enough... HOWEVER the Rorters are not a club like that... they have been successful for a while now... as much as we all hate to admit it.

They have no right being the Chelsea of the NRL and buying a premiership and that is why i hope they run in the bottom half for some time yet... I am sick and tired of seeing our players being developed through our great system... only to see the Rorters buy them.. it ridiculous....>:( >:(

Here's hoping Mark gets the ear of Malcolm and he stays, he is too good for the Roosters...

Oh and if the article was meant to make blood boil before tonight, it did the trick with me.. I want more of a roasting now.. :D :D

This is the exacat sort of reaction i was talking about :D

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Yes, I read that in the Courier Mail this morning and thought waht a load of rubbish. Not even the Roosters would be silly enough to buy a prop forward 18 months ahead of schedule.

It is most likely his manager getting in early to start the bargaining process.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
I don't care.. I wanted to state my opinion Danish..and this article has given me the perfect opportunity too.. so thanks Telegraph for allowing me to do so... :grinning:

Oh and by the way, I know its probably all RUMOUR, but I reckon its good for a fireup, certainly got me fired up for the game tomorrow, oh and I stand by everything I say in that article, your club treats us like a FEEDER CLUB... AND THAT IS NOT ON!!!!

D

Danish

Keefy said:
BINGO!!! Well said Danish

Its fairly obivous when you think about it....

The roosters, while not being much chop anywhere else these days, are at least smart business men. No team with half a brain will sign a player 18 months in advance. Thats alot of time to pick up an injury which could hamper them for the rest of their careers.

Sure you can put clauses in contracts to cover such events, but even still, its a risky activity.

D

Danish

Titanium Doggie said:
I don't care.. I wanted to state my opinion Danish..and this article has given me the perfect opportunity too.. so thanks Telegraph for allowing me to do so... :grinning:

Oh and by the way, I know its probably all RUMOUR, but I reckon its good for a fireup, certainly got me fired up for the game tomorrow, oh and I stand by everything I say in that article, your club treats us like a FEEDER CLUB... AND THAT IS NOT ON!!!!

Hey, any excuse to rubbish the dogs or saints and i'll take it too ;)

Btw do you honestly care that we took Tonga and Anasta from you.......... honestly??

RAM

What tha !
Reaction score
No Bulldogs Supporter should worry about this article. Look at who the Rorters have poached from you guys (and others) over the last couple of years. Where has it got them ? Currently sitting second from bottom on the ladder ! Great Stuff Rorters. It's one thing to poach the players, but it is another to have them fit in to an environment that is good for them and that is one which they like and develop there potential as players. Obviously the RORTERS lack this skill BIG TIME ! ;)

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Danish said:
Hey, any excuse to rubbish the dogs or saints and i'll take it too ;)

Btw do you honestly care that we took Tonga and Anasta from you.......... honestly??

Danish... to be honest NOPE... you can have them and Nate too... they are all headed the same way, southward in a hurry... to be honest... I reckon Finch could become a star by heading to Parramatta... :p :p

Ok Perhaps that's taking it too far... but you get what I mean... I still don't like it that we lose players though, no matter how bad they are... ;)

~MC~

untouchable
Reaction score
Titanium Doggie, we have bought TWO players from the Dogs recently. That does not make the Dogs our feeder club. And this is all bull. Why would you want to by a player a year and a half before his contract is off. He could get seriously injured or have a massive form slump.

Status
Not open for further replies.