News D-Day arrives as Bulldogs set to ‘blow Panthers out of water’ with Burton offer

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
“Do you remember when Josh Addo-Carr was at the Tigers and talking to other clubs and I said to then coach Jason Taylor are you disappointed about losing Josh Addo-Carr?” Sailor recalled. “And he said, no not really.”

Lol lol
Jason Taylor lol... what a wet teabag he was

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like if you look up Matt Burton it says he is coming in 21 it also say he will sign the contract Monday morning
Yep been saying a while i reckon tbaz has actually spoken directly to panthers about burton and theyd rather him get him than another club as they have respect for each other

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
500k is a massive offer for a kid playing half who's yet to play 1st grade.
This. I doubt the offer will be anywhere near $500k/year - even to beat out other clubs. He’s likely on min wage at the Pennies ($110k) so even double that and it’s a hell of a pay rise for a young man. Then consider what we’ve just signed The Flange for (allegedly) - no way the club will create a huge wage gap between two young halves both with lots of potential and one a little more experience than the other. It won’t be all down to money either - the kid likely wants to feel that his next move makes sense, financially and otherwise - and one of those reasons is regular first grade time which we can likely offer him - depending on what happens with a couple of other recruitment/positional outcomes. Who else can/would offer that? I’ve no doubt between Baz, Hilly, Arthur etc they’ve thought this through to make the kid an enticing but not unrealistic offer.

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just think if they resigned averillo and get burton ado car where does averillo even play

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This. I doubt the offer will be anywhere near $500k/year - even to beat out other clubs. He’s likely on min wage at the Pennies ($110k) so even double that and it’s a hell of a pay rise for a young man. Then consider what we’ve just signed The Flange for (allegedly) - no way the club will create a huge wage gap between two young halves both with lots of potential and one a little more experience than the other. It won’t be all down to money either - the kid likely wants to feel that his next move makes sense, financially and otherwise - and one of those reasons is regular first grade time which we can likely offer him - depending on what happens with a couple of other recruitment/positional outcomes. Who else can/would offer that? I’ve no doubt between Baz, Hilly, Arthur etc they’ve thought this through to make the kid an enticing but not unrealistic offer.
Spot on. 500k? I just can't see it happening. Maybe 400k but even that is a push.

Either way, I'm confident that the club has learnt from previous mistakes and will make the right signings at the right $$.

Onwardsa nd upwards.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just think if they resigned averillo and get burton ado car where does averillo even play
They must've guaranteed Av a spot if you ask me. Considering Burton (hopefully) & Flanno will be the halves he won't be there. So the only other option is fullback. Going on what Barrett said about having 2 fullbacks interchanging in attack, I'd suggest that av goes to fullback with JAC on the wing.

There's no other place I'd play him personally.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They must've guaranteed Av a spot if you ask me. Considering Burton (hopefully) & Flanno will be the halves he won't be there. So the only other option is fullback. Going on what Barrett said about having 2 fullbacks interchanging in attack, I'd suggest that av goes to fullback with JAC on the wing.

Exciting prospects!
How different is 2021 feeling at this point than any recent year!! Onwards & upwards for the pack!!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exciting prospects!
How different is 2021 feeling at this point than any recent year!! Onwards & upwards for the pack!!
Super excited about the new season, but at the same time realistic about it all. Will take time without doubt.

What I really love is that we're seemingly buying youth which means we've got a fucking bright future to look forward to. Always loved going to Belmore and seeing prospects coming through the grades. Can't wait to potentially see that spine develop and flourish at our club. Going to be great!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any word yet? Has he signed yet? Are we there yet? Are we done yet? C'mon guys where are these signings??? I gotta know :grinning:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
While I’m super excited I really want to see addo carr and burton announced as Bulldogs.

If we have landed these 2 then seriously we have done outstanding. Credit to the new coach and board members. Clearly Anderson’s where a genuine issue and Trent is clearly a much more desirable coach to some than pay.

With Napa hoppa Jmk Lewis britt Crichton okonbor meaney c Smith etc off contract next year (r Smith too but I assume if we get addo carr he’s gone) then we can recruit the missing pieces.

We would have some good $ to finish shaping the roster properly.

Someone like staggs in for hoppa. Hard nose prop for Napa (like fisher Harris, Paulo would be a dream or id love the panthers kid Leniu) quality fucking hooker be it English or b Smith or mcinnnes or whatever we are genuinely locked and loaded for a force.

Let’s go!! Get addo carr and burton done! The thought of addo carr and cotric in the backline with a pairing of burton and Flanagan after what we have had for years is amazing !!! Make it happen!!!!

I even have hope this year hetho might make Napa find something with his contract out. Plus Thompson and rfm and Elliott Waddell Stimson should are Ogden and Renouf improve and they all have some **** in them. Exactly what we need!

Dwz could figure his head out and be an asset. Jake could develop. Okonbor too. Exciting.

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Well thats what im thinking surely he wont be wasted at centre.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super excited about the new season, but at the same time realistic about it all. Will take time without doubt.

What I really love is that we're seemingly buying youth which means we've got a fucking bright future to look forward to. Always loved going to Belmore and seeing prospects coming through the grades. Can't wait to potentially see that spine develop and flourish at our club. Going to be great!
100% agree re being realistic.
With young inexperienced halves & a new coaching regime I think if we are challenging for 8th we would be doing well.
In saying that the last few years with the salary cap an effing mess from dessies back ended contracts & other roster mismanagement, anywhere near 8th come year end is a something to look forward to after all the recent pain & disrespect that our great club has been subjected to for too long!! Rise....rise..the time to rule again approaches!!!

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st grade half? Has he even played a first grade game yet?

Look. Personally think he's wrapped up and coming to us which I'm over the moon about. But let's not get carried away with all the talk about him as it's going to put too much pressure on the lad before he even starts playing.

He'll have a lot to learn at the Dogs, not matter how talented he may be. 500k is a massive offer for a kid playing half who's yet to play 1st grade consistently.

Should we pay it? I'd still pay close to that, but you've gotta be really careful considering that Flanno is on 350k odd. That's over 100k difference between them, and Flanno has played a lot more 1st grade than him. Finals footy too.
I disagree pay him the 500k and secure his services , for a quality half 500k is cheap. I say it’s worth the gamble , and based on what I saw from him in a few games we will be getting a bargain. This kid has a prefect halves game, He can run, he can kick, has a good passing game and is very composed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I disagree pay him the 500k and secure his services , for a quality half 500k is cheap. I say it’s worth the gamble , and based on what I saw from him in a few games we will be getting a bargain. This kid has a prefect halves game, He can run, he can kick, has a good passing game and is very composed.
Whether it's 400k or 500k, it doesn't matter so long as we sign him up long term. Either way he'll end up being worth it and make an immediate impact.