News D-Day arrives as Bulldogs set to ‘blow Panthers out of water’ with Burton offer

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton will know himself that this isn't the case. Bellamy would be honest with him but ultimately it's the same conclusion.
if he is going to be totally honest with him and tell him it’s only lower grades well that rules Melbourne out.
Why would he even contemplate a move down south.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to waste Averillo swapping with JAC. Averillo is someone we need to get involved as much as possible, kid showed more in his perfromances in the halves than what flanagan has ever shown this season.

Again I think we should have waited for the right option to pop up before signing Flanagan.
It didn’t sound like Trent was talking about swapping them but instead having two floating in the backline on attacking plays. Keeps Avs in the spine role full time and gives JAC more involvement like he is chasing.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not really Addo Carr is totally untested at fullback and the halves are very green.

It sure has potential but it's a few years away from top 4. Plus Averillo isn't a winger.
I think people need to keep their positivity in check a little here. Without doubt things are looking brighter for the future, and it's really exciting seeing the squad we're building but at the same time we need to be realistic in that we're building towards something which takes time.

Untested halves pairing with two relatively inexperienced youngsters. They'll need time to bond, understand each other, and create a platform to work from.

3+ new additions to the backline including potentially a rookie at fullback where he hasn't consistently played.

A new coach with new ideas.

The future is exciting. Enjoy it. But we all need to be realistic about this with any talk of top 4 crazy atm. Give it time.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If 500k is what I takes do it, hell even pay 600. Look at the big picture, we payed Foran 1mil. We can have both Flanagan and Burton for 800-900k. Trent is doing great things for us.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think people need to keep their positivity in check a little here. Without doubt things are looking brighter for the future, and it's really exciting seeing the squad we're building but at the same time we need to be realistic in that we're building towards something which takes time.

Untested halves pairing with two relatively inexperienced youngsters. They'll need time to bond, understand each other, and create a platform to work from.

3+ new additions to the backline including potentially a rookie at fullback where he hasn't consistently played.

A new coach with new ideas.

The future is exciting. Enjoy it. But we all need to be realistic about this with any talk of top 4 crazy atm. Give it time.
In 3 years from now, if we get a lot of decisions right, we can be top four. Short term, realistically we're looking at in or around the eight. I still think we need a good hooker, but JAC, Cotric, Burton, Flanagan, Hetherington and Waddell are good additions.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If 500k is what I takes do it, hell is even pay 600. Look at the big picture, we payed Foran 1mil. We can have both Flanagan and Burton for 800-900k. Trent is doing great things for us.
I think the bigger picture is that as soon as you start paying overs, other new players expect that also. Adding to that current players. It's a slippery slope, one which I don't think the club will go down.

500k is more than enough, perhaps too much considering his current contract. But going over that I believe is unnecessary and potentially damaging.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In 3 years from now, if we get a lot of decisions right, we can be top four. Short term, realistically we're looking at in or around the eight.
Completely agree. Though I'd say after next year, if we get Burton in plus a hooker, we could be a top 4 team.

It's a young squad, with the spine filled with young players. They'll need time to find their feet which is what all of us need to do.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think the bigger picture is that as soon as you start paying overs, other new players expect that also. Adding to that current players. It's a slippery slope, one which I don't think the club will go down.

500k is more than enough, perhaps too much considering his current contract. But going over that I believe is unnecessary and potentially damaging.
Why though all the other players were pretty much shit the last 3 years. They are foolish if they expect more tbh. Get what you mean though, any players who is upset about stuff like this and us building wouldn't be worth keeping imo

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i remember the way the roosters first brought in rts and him and minichello continually swapping during a game, I think averillo and the fox could achieve that and better, we would have some serious strike out wide
Not really a similar situation. Mini was an established fullback with years of experience while RTS was the boom rookie learning his trade off the wing while coming in now and then to add some extra spark Mini lacked. Both Josh and Jake on the other hand completely lack experience while so there's no master and apprentice type scenario at play here.

I said previously that if JAC comes then he will probably play a Rapana/Holmes type role off the wing where they come in field and follow the ball while chiming in for a set play or two. Manu also did something a little similar this year where he popped up on the left edge but it wasn't really that common.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Well said. You’ll immediately have Flanno wondering why he’s only worth $350k whilst Burton is worth much more when he’s relatively untested.

Even if other clubs are chasing Burton his connection with Barrett will be invaluable.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we end up with JAC, Burton, Flanno in 1, 6, 7, how about starting Averillo off the bench and giving him 30 to 40 minutes in the 9 spot each game, with a view to working him towards that role. The two best 9s going around shifted from the halves, CSmith and Cook. They are both smaller men. Get him watching video of their tackling technique, they both get through a lot of defensive work against the big men but do a great job. And from the 9 spot he is a great position to exploit tired forwards, utilise his short kicking game and his creativity.