1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

OLD Curtis wants back in!

Discussion in 'Rumour Archive' started by DublinDogg, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brycycles94

Brycycles94 Participant

2. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

3. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Immortal

All this bs about being homesick is purely code for i was offered more money ,barba was offered almost double what he was on here to break his contract and “be homesick” and curtis was on very basic dollars and also got “homesick” at the time it was shit cause des had a plodder like trex on big $$ but we finally get a great finisher and they let him go,thankfully pay already seems alot more pro active with recruitment

• Like Like x 6
  4. Oatley Dog

Oatley Dog Kennel Addict Gilded

Barba was stood down and was never going to stay with us due to what he did. He was allowed to go back to Brisbane to get closer to family due to his ongoing problems. The Broncos got him for a bargain (about half of what we would have paid him had he stayed) and The Sharks for not much more because he played so badly with the donkeys. It was only when he hit his straps at Cronulla that his pay went up and then he gets on the gear and gets punted again. Rona came to us on peanuts and because our cap was blown we couldn't upgrade him enough and he got a juicy offer from WA to play rugby. Basically he had the opp to stay in Sydney with another club or go back home for even more money. He took the cash and went home. He was never homesick, it was his wife. Now the Force have blown up he has to earn a buck and he is coming back to Sydney.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bulldog_4_Life

Bulldog_4_Life Kennel Addict

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Morris Boys kill it this season and both get one year extensions with Rona replacing one of them in 2020.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nate DAWG

Nate DAWG Kennel Enthusiast

Curtis Rona was great for us, but surely it cant be difficult to scout a few young Fijian sevens players and mould one of them into a NRL winger. I know a lot of the more established stars go to French Rugby, but the young ones wouldnt cost much and you only need one or two to work out

• Like Like x 7
  7. OITENTA-E-NOVE

OITENTA-E-NOVE Kennel Addict

seems legit went back to perth how was he to know the team would fold

8. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Immortal

There was talk that the team could fold but $$ talks

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

His wife Jacinta had just had their first child, and wanted to be back in perth alongside his and her family to have a greater support group.

Curtis straight up admitted he'd made good money in NRL and some some investments, and that it was time to do something for his wife, as she'd followed him around with his dreams all these years.

10. Bulldogs09

Bulldogs09 Immortal

Mate that’s so far off the mark.

Barba got a huge contract at the broncos. I was livid cause the dogs were said to make the broncos not be allowed to pay more then he was on for the years he was contacted with us.

Then when he got released from Brisbane to go to broncos broncos where paying some of the contract and it was substantially bigger!

Sorry mate that’s fact. The info you listed was wrong broncos paid huge for him
    And he flopped. Even at sharks at the start he did too!

• Like Like x 3
  11. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

I suggested to Raelene that we look at some Fijian players & she dismissed it saying that they get homesick & it's too much trouble. Glad she is no longer with us!

12. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

Marcelo Montoya is Fijian!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wahesh

Wahesh The Forefather of The Kennel

Fijian players homesick? WTF is she smoking? Fijian players kill it in the NRL - and love doing so. Homesick my ass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  14. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

but not an import. I am just saying what she told me.

15. Oatley Dog

Must admit I was going from memory but he was on $250k with us and had he stayed he would have gone to around $600k with the cap increases and his status as a gun FB. He got around the $500k mark at the Donkeys (who also paid us compo for Barba which made his salary look bigger but it went to us) and a bit more at the Sharks (around $650k) with an escalation factor that he stuffed up when he got busted. All of that aside though, we couldn't keep him because of his behaviour and the Donkeys wanted him and were prepared to pay us for it. That he moved a bit closer to home may have helped him but I can't see how.

16. hayes

hayes Forum Regular

The year he played at Broncos an shark he was just over a million each year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oatley Dog

That was one of the rumours but it wasn't true. With the release payment to us the donkeys probably spent around $800k for the first year and no doubt if he could've got TPA's he would've gotten a fair chunk the next year but he went to the Sharks on around $500 or so and maybe a bit more with TPA's. No way the sharks could carry $1m for him when they had so many others on good coin in the side and so many young players coming through. Ennis wasn't free, nor Gallen, nor Maloney nor Lewis to name a few. Certainly 3 of those 4 were on more than Barba. Throw in Fifita for $800k and the cap is gone before you fill the team.

18. Como Dog

Como Dog Forum Regular

Having recentlystarted for the Wallabies I can't imagine he'll be able to stay in Perth much longer with an ARU contract but no Western Force. Surely he'll have to join another franchise.

19. blueyedsamurai

blueyedsamurai Immortal

Andrew Gee was apparently in his ear as well saying he'd be a super star at the Broncos.

20. Mitch Connor

Mitch Connor Super Moderator Staff Member

He signed with the Waratahs for 18-19

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.