Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for Michael Ennis, he has to deal with Barba, and maybe DCE as well

Cronulla is in the process of putting forward a mammoth offer for Daly Cherry-Evans which would make the star halfback the highest-paid player in NRL history.

Having just secured the services of Ben Barba from Brisbane, the Sharks are now attempting to prise his close mate from Manly on a seven-figure-per-season deal. Some of the cash Cronulla freed up from sacking Todd Carney has been spent on securing Barba, although the Broncos will continue to pay part of the former Canterbury fullback's wages as part of his release. However, there are still funds available for a marquee player and the war chest is likely to grow should the wooden spooners opt against re-signing a number of players coming off contract at the end of 2015.

Barba and Cherry-Evans are close mates from their days playing junior football in Mackay and the signing of the former increases the chances of the latter following suit. It was even reported that Barba stayed with 'DCE' in Sydney when he was nutting out the final details of his Cronulla contract.

Daly Cherry-Evans in action for the Kangaroos on the weekend.
Daly Cherry-Evans in action for the Kangaroos on the weekend. Photo: AFP

Cherry-Evans and Sea Eagles halves partner Kieran Foran are off contract at the end of next year and will be the most sought-after players on the open market. The Gold Coast are keen to tempt Cherry-Evans back to Queensland, while Parramatta, Canterbury and the Roosters are the clubs most likely to shift Foran from Brookvale. Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn has stated his intention to secure their services long term before Christmas but few clubs will be able to compete with the financial package the Sharks are offering Cherry-Evans.

The Maroons star is tipped as a future captain of his club and country and the Sharks believe a scrumbase pairing with Barba would be one of the most lethal in the game. Jeff Robson, also off contract at the end of the year, has been a solid performer for the Sharks in recent times. However, he will turn 33 next year and may struggle to gain another NRL deal.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey hoped his international halves pairing would remain at Brookvale. "As you can see here, it's a great environment to play and train away from the field as well," Toovey said. "The continued success we've had over the last few years adds to that as well.

"I am sure the club is active in securing them going forward. They are a great two players and I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs going after them."

Toovey hoped the fact there was now one controlling owner at the club would increase the chances of the Foran and Cherry-Evans staying. "I think it doesn't do any harm, that's for sure," Toovey said. "Players these days, particularly those younger superstars coming through, are very educated when it comes to those sorts of things. They know the best they can do for themselves is perform and that's what we've done here. I think every person, whether he be working on the council down the road, wants to make sure his job is secure. It's a good thing if we can do that going forward."

Sea Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon was also hopeful the halves would stay put. "With those two guys, it's going to be hard to keep them," he said. "There's going to be a lot of clubs trying to get them and rightly so, they have put in some good years with their footy for Manly in the last couple. It will be hard to keep them but I'm sure the club will do everything they can to keep them here."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-pay-day-in-nrl-history-20141119-11py2m.html

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you feel sorry for him on DCE?

He has a much better chance in being in a premiership team before he retires if they add DCE.

And the rumours and speculation that he is a tosser are just that. I imagine if they get DCE Ennis will be stoked.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
All I have read in the media is he is a diva and hard to work with.
I guess if you throw enough sh!t some will stick

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This would explain why the Sharks have been signing all these fringe first graders. They're looking at a strong spine and developing the rest around it. Not the traditional Sharks method of Big money up front with fringe in the spine. It's good to see they're finally getting with the times.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cherry has already won a GF with manly so I think he would have no problem following the money trail. He is BFFs with barba as well

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope they get him just to piss manly off
Best way too look at it ever! :grinning:

And he very well could be a diva. But we don't know for certain. And I imagine there are plenty of players at cronulla desperate for a premiership. Gallen and Ennis included. DCE is a step in the right direction.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly will have nothing left if he goes.
I won't feel sorry for them though

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
How can the sharks afford hima t $1m?

These guys have been struggling financially running on oil rag budget and have been struggling to get sponsors and paying players.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the sharks afford hima t $1m?

These guys have been struggling financially running on oil rag budget and have been struggling to get sponsors and paying players.
NRL provides the money for the salary cap in the annual grants. Whether the team uses it for that is up to them to an extent

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wont be surprised if Brett leaves in the off-season.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sharks will have an immensely strong squad if they pull off this signing. Ennis, DCE and Barba in the spine is no joke and their forwards aren't powder puff either, they'll be a team to watch if this happens DCE is one of the best halfbacks around at the moment.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Sharks believe a scrumbase pairing with Barba would be one of the most lethal in the game.
Had to read that twice, thought it said SCUMBAG pairing there for a sec...my bad.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
DCE is a greedy little grub chasing the dollars all the time, but one thing that will stop him going to the sharks is his ego, he wouldnt go to a club who doesnt have a genuine finals chance, and the sharks are a basket case

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE is a greedy little grub chasing the dollars all the time, but one thing that will stop him going to the sharks is his ego, he wouldnt go to a club who doesnt have a genuine finals chance, and the sharks are a basket case
I have a tough time calling any player a grub for chasing the dollars when he hasn't even chased the dollars yet, and even if he does take the deal you have to remember that it's a job. It's like calling someone at work a grub for moving to another company for a pay rise.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have a tough time calling any player a grub for chasing the dollars when he hasn't even chased the dollars yet, and even if he does take the deal you have to remember that it's a job. It's like calling someone at work a grub for moving to another company for a pay rise.
DCE is a grub, just months after signing a new deal he was chasing a big pay rise because he made the qld train on squad for origin, look it up in the media, that was the start of the troubles at manly

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They could buy the entire NRL and still not win a premiership. They're f*cking cursed..

Status
Not open for further replies.