Official Cronulla release Valentine Holmes to pursue NFL dream

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see him crying about other players that have come to his club after cutting short their stay somewhere else.

Holmes though....Boo hoo...it affects us him leaving etc. etc. How could he do it?

Just hurry up and retire old man because IMO you are selfish in playing on and taking a spot of a younger up and comer...
The thing that makes me laugh about Gallen the most is that he cost NSW more games/series than he won lol

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who quits the big game for that show pony bullshit?

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem is that there is no way the nrl can ban Holmes for wanting to swap codes after they allowed lodge,carney etc etc etc back into the game after the shit they got up to.And as for Jarred Hayne well that speaks for itself
Yes there is....They could just change the rules ..it has never stopped them before

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Off topic but everyone that we’re desperately calling for Todd Carney to come to Dogs

Ummm

Did you watch the legends tournament? He couldn’t even carve up old retirees

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sharks spine was going to be really good for the next few seasons... they will still be competitive but Val is such a massive key to their success... spewin

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks spine was going to be really good for the next few seasons... they will still be competitive but Val is such a massive key to their success... spewin
Na bud sucked into them, they deserve this, i look at it like karma for cheating the cap last year and still being allowed to play finals. Imagine if we did it we wouldnt be allowed to recruit points until 2040

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boo fucking hoo. Cronulla are now the most hated team in the comp. Suck shit sharks

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Latest:

Valentine Holmes' NFL dream alive after being picked up by New York Jets
  • Former NRL player added to Jets’ practice squad
  • Will not be eligible to play games during 2019 season

Australian Associated Press

Tue 9 Apr 2019 09.06 AESTLast modified on Tue 9 Apr 2019 09.28 AEST

Former NRL player Valentine Holmes has been training as a running back, wide-receiver and punt/kick returner. Photograph: Peter Mitchell/AAP
Valentine Holmes has been invited to join the NFL’s New York Jets. The former NRL star, who walked away from a $5m contract with Cronulla, will share a locker room with star running back Le’Veon Bell and quarterback Sam Darnold at the New Jersey-based Jets.

Holmes will also continue a strong Australian tradition at the team. The Jets’ punter is Mornington Peninsula-raised Lachlan Edwards and Geelong AFL great turned punter, Ben Graham, was a member of the Jets from 2005 to 2008. And another Victorian, Tom Hackett, a two-time Ray Guy Award winner, trialled with the team in 2016.

Holmes is a big fan of the Jets’ cross-town rivals, the New York Giants. “The Giants are my favourite team and it would be a amazing to play with them, but I would be pleased to play with any team,” Holmes told AAP last week.

The NFL announced on Monday that Holmes and other elite athletes in the International Pathway Program have been allocated to teams in the AFC East division – the Jets, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins.

Former rugby union player Christian Wade – who was part of the British Lions squad that toured Australia in 2013 – will join the Bills, Brazilian judo champion Durval Neto was picked up by the Miami Dolphins and German tight end Jakob Johnson will go with the Super Bowl champion Patriots.

Pathway players become members of team’s practice squads and will not be eligible to play games. The program is designed to give elite athletes with little American football knowledge a chance to insert themselves with an NFL team and learn the game without the pressure of being cut.

View image on Twitter

#TakeFlight

✔@nyjets

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1115384560840249344

We've added Valentine Holmes as part of the @NFL's International Player Pathway program.

https://nyj.social/2UOdtj7

8:42 AM - Apr 9, 2019

223 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Holmes will be hit with a significant pay cut from his NRL days. Pathway players on NFL practice squads earn about $US129,200 ($A181,500) per season.

The former Cronulla, Queensland and Australian representative fullback, and the other Pathway players spent the past three months at Florida’s IMG Academy learning how to train and play American football.

A year ago South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata, a Pathway graduate, was taken in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by Philadelphia Eagles.

Holmes, 23, said last week he did not believe he was eligible for the draft because of his age. He has been training as a running back, wide-receiver and punt/kick returner. Holmes participated in a “pro day” in Tampa Bay last week in front of NFL scouts and clocked 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Latest:

Valentine Holmes' NFL dream alive after being picked up by New York Jets
  • Former NRL player added to Jets’ practice squad
  • Will not be eligible to play games during 2019 season

Australian Associated Press

Tue 9 Apr 2019 09.06 AESTLast modified on Tue 9 Apr 2019 09.28 AEST

Former NRL player Valentine Holmes has been training as a running back, wide-receiver and punt/kick returner. Photograph: Peter Mitchell/AAP
Valentine Holmes has been invited to join the NFL’s New York Jets. The former NRL star, who walked away from a $5m contract with Cronulla, will share a locker room with star running back Le’Veon Bell and quarterback Sam Darnold at the New Jersey-based Jets.

Holmes will also continue a strong Australian tradition at the team. The Jets’ punter is Mornington Peninsula-raised Lachlan Edwards and Geelong AFL great turned punter, Ben Graham, was a member of the Jets from 2005 to 2008. And another Victorian, Tom Hackett, a two-time Ray Guy Award winner, trialled with the team in 2016.

Holmes is a big fan of the Jets’ cross-town rivals, the New York Giants. “The Giants are my favourite team and it would be a amazing to play with them, but I would be pleased to play with any team,” Holmes told AAP last week.

The NFL announced on Monday that Holmes and other elite athletes in the International Pathway Program have been allocated to teams in the AFC East division – the Jets, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins.

Former rugby union player Christian Wade – who was part of the British Lions squad that toured Australia in 2013 – will join the Bills, Brazilian judo champion Durval Neto was picked up by the Miami Dolphins and German tight end Jakob Johnson will go with the Super Bowl champion Patriots.

Pathway players become members of team’s practice squads and will not be eligible to play games. The program is designed to give elite athletes with little American football knowledge a chance to insert themselves with an NFL team and learn the game without the pressure of being cut.

View image on Twitter

#TakeFlight

✔@nyjets

We've added Valentine Holmes as part of the @NFL's International Player Pathway program.

https://nyj.social/2UOdtj7

8:42 AM - Apr 9, 2019

223 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Holmes will be hit with a significant pay cut from his NRL days. Pathway players on NFL practice squads earn about $US129,200 ($A181,500) per season.

The former Cronulla, Queensland and Australian representative fullback, and the other Pathway players spent the past three months at Florida’s IMG Academy learning how to train and play American football.

A year ago South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata, a Pathway graduate, was taken in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by Philadelphia Eagles.

Holmes, 23, said last week he did not believe he was eligible for the draft because of his age. He has been training as a running back, wide-receiver and punt/kick returner. Holmes participated in a “pro day” in Tampa Bay last week in front of NFL scouts and clocked 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash.
Good on him wish him all the best.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Knew it'd be a team like Jets, Jaguars or Bills.

He's absolutely not playing wide receiver. He'll be a Hayne type player. Play a handful of games on special teams.

Can't wait for the wankfest v2.0...

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
yeah his position is taken by a top 10 player in the league

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Knew it'd be a team like Jets, Jaguars or Bills.

He's absolutely not playing wide receiver. He'll be a Hayne type player. Play a handful of games on special teams.

Can't wait for the wankfest v2.0...
After the whole Hayne debacle I can't see there being a big wank fest over Holmes. I mean maybe if he somehow does play a lot and does well, but definitely not initially.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
new york jets good?
No. Not only are they not good, at all, they're in a division with the Patriots so even if they get half decent, there's no point.

But that has nothing to do with Holmes.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
After the whole Hayne debacle I can't see there being a big wank fest over Holmes. I mean maybe if he somehow does play a lot and does well, but definitely not initially.
I hope not, the coverage was sickening with Hayne especially to those who follow the NFL.

I like Holmes and wish him well but I've never liked Hayne.

I can't see Holmes playing a lot if at all, TBH.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope not, the coverage was sickening with Hayne especially to those who follow the NFL.

I like Holmes and wish him well but I've never liked Hayne.

I can't see Holmes playing a lot if at all, TBH.
I got on the bandwagon and got a Hayne jersey (it was a bang good special for like $10 lol) but after how all of that went I would never do that again. Maybe if it was a dogs player...

Yeah I can't see him playing either. These guys he is competing against have been training for over a decade each, how can someone (even such a great athlete as Holmes) just stroll in and be as good as them? It just seems like lunacy to me.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I got on the bandwagon and got a Hayne jersey (it was a bang good special for like $10 lol) but after how all of that went I would never do that again. Maybe if it was a dogs player...

Yeah I can't see him playing either. These guys he is competing against have been training for over a decade each, how can someone (even such a great athlete as Holmes) just stroll in and be as good as them? It just seems like lunacy to me.
Haha. I still have and wear my NY Jets Mark Sanchez jersey. Seriously, google him and you'll see how pathetic that is.

NFL is in their blood. Look how intense college football is. It actually puts NFL on show. It's an insanely complex game.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL practice team be lucky to play a game. took a pay cut to be a tackling bag