Cronulla getting in deeper over cap breach

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/abf8f1b478ec43e6307338e12677dfef

Former Cronulla playmaker Jeff Robson has denied receiving any third-party payments while at the club after his name was linked to the NRL’s salary cap investigation into the Sharks.
A report on Sunday claimed the NRL integrity unit had found the Sharks had allegedly used a fake invoice and loan to pay two players in 2015, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Former chief executive and current Manly boss Lyall Gorman is expected to be quizzed by the NRL this week, after the Sharks self-reported their concerns earlier this year.

According to the report, the Sharks were issued an invoice for $100,000 to bring their phones across the the now deregistered company Compare Communications.

A five-year loan was allegedly taken out to cover the cost of the ‘goods’ but the telecommunications company’s owner John Barker said no payment was made after the phones ended up not being brought across.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing from Barker or Gorman, or that the then-CEO was aware of the situation.

The report also claimed the concerns were over payments made to the now-retired Chris Heighington and Robson, with also no suggestion they knew or were involved in any wrongdoing.

Flanagan: We're disappointed

1:03
Regardless though, Robson took to social media on Sunday to insist it was not possible for him to have been caught up in the scandal at all.

“Just to clear things up, I have never received one dollar from John Barker or any of his companies,” Robson tweeted.

“I didn’t receive any money from 3rd party deals for the 4 years I was at the Sharks, and left at the end of 2015.”

Heighington also declared in August any third-party deal he was part of was signed off on by the NRL, his manager and the Sharks.

Third-party deals are legal in the NRL, as long as they are agreed to at arm’s length from the club and approved by the governing body.

The NRL are continuing their investigations into the Sharks, after new chief executive Barry Russell reported historic irregularities in his first season on the job this year.

However, it’s not believed any possible punishments will have an impact on the Sharks’ maiden premiership triumph in 2016.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit odd that a toiler like Robson would be at the centre of it all.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the first time this came out was in late august. A week later we had the dogs mad monday news.
Then there was news about sharks directors phone got confiscated relating to this cap issue. A day or 2 after that klemmer news came out.
Can rothfield and his mates pls use another club this time if they want to deflect attention from this sharks cap thing.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is increasing speculation about the future of premiership-winning Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan as the NRL’s salary cap investigation continues.
Could Flanagan be on borrowed time in the Shire? Surely not after becoming the first coach to finally smash Cronulla’s 50-year premiership drought two years ago.

Think again.

When all of the salary cap investigation is shaken out there is a very real chance the Sharks may have no alternative than to go in a different coaching direction.

As brutal as it sounds there is a view, given all the detail the NRL has uncovered in relation to payments being made outside of the salary cap, there may be no other choice.

Why else have Cronulla held off giving Flanagan a new deal?

He’s a premiership-winning coach who has been one of the cornerstones of the Cronulla Sharks for the past decade?

Surely he should be re-signed to a long-term deal by now.

Could it be as simple as Flanagan is going to have a lot of explaining to do when he gets interviewed by the NRL?

There is talk the Sharks have been discreetly exploring alternative coaching options for the past couple of months.

And we’re not talking about for 2020 when Flanagan’s contract finishes, we’re talking about for next season.

Current assistant coach John Morris has also been discussed as being given a shot in a caretaker role for 12 months.

The one saving grace for the Sharks is the fact CEO Barry Russell initially self-reported what was a relatively minor indiscretion around an undeclared third-party agreement.

Since then it’s believed the NRL has uncovered a wealth of information which looks likely to make the Sharks the fifth club since 2002 to be heavily sanctioned for breaking salary cap rules.

By self-reporting Russell will ultimately minimise whatever sanctions are imposed.

The 2016 premiership is not believed to be under threat. But a fine of anywhere up to $1 million would seriously hurt Cronulla.

They’re already in financial dire straits.

Shane Flanagan delivered the Sharks their first premiership in 2016.Source: News Corp Australia
In the season just finished, the Sharks only spent 95 per cent of their salary cap due to cash flow problems.

It’s interesting to note Sharks board member Craig Airey recently resigned as a director at the club.

Significantly, Airey had loaned the club $1 million while he was on the board of directors.

Go back to August when Todd Greenberg confirmed the Sharks were under investigation.

The NRL boss made reference to salary cap fines not keeping pace with how frequently clubs were breaking the rules.

The drums are now beating. Things could be about to get ugly in the Shire.

Good let it get ugly, hope they get massive fine.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...9/news-story/9dcd68bc99031680688831496a467af8

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was Flanno also around during the peptide saga? Because I read elsewhere today (I think it was RLW Mole) that the NRL are about to come in heavy on the Sharks, and the result could well be a major official in their club being banned for life from the NRL as he's run out of chances.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was Flanno also around during the peptide saga? Because I read elsewhere today (I think it was RLW Mole) that the NRL are about to come in heavy on the Sharks, and the result could well be a major official in their club being banned for life from the NRL as he's run out of chances.
Flanno was balls deep in the peptides scandal he got suspended for a year over it.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yea he orchestrated it. He was banned from coaching for a season or something. He’s a dodgy fuck.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was banned for a year re peptide

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just get rid of the Sharkies all together and give the dogs first pick at their carcase!!!

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if you can't win by cheating, win by cheating MORE!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Nothing will happen...

Slap on the wrist if the fuckwits at the nrlol need to stamp their "authority" to keep the media at bay.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For some reason, the thread title reminds me of this song

Maybe it could be their pep-tide anthem

"you know I love it this team really smells like piss, we have the will to win but we're all too weak, performance enhancing needles will get us to our peak, honesty and integrity aren't the answer, the only way we'll win the big one is to cheat"

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cheating ***** on the pep and cap.

Would like to see them caught.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nothing will happen of course. If this were our club, they'd expel us from the comp and take our team to Perth.

Clearly a player being nude on Mad Monday in private is a much more serious threat to the code then a club that rorts the cap. If the Roosters are premier's then clearly it's okay to cheat.

I wish we would start cheating again so we can compete with the rest of them. It's like the tour de France. You cant win if you don't cheat because everyone else will be..

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Cheats cheats cheats , and now the nrl will help them get another premiership.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please please please please please please please please please please please please strip them of their one and allow title. That will make my Christmas.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For some reason, the thread title reminds me of this song

Maybe it could be their pep-tide anthem

"you know I love it this team really smells like piss, we have the will to win but we're all too weak, performance enhancing needles will get us to our peak, honesty and integrity aren't the answer, the only way we'll win the big one is to cheat"
Honestly at least the Sharks have tasted victory through cheating, where as Parra cheat to come last:grinning: