Cronks bombshell after World Cup win

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maroons and Kangaroos great Cooper Cronk retires from all representative rugby league following Australia’s World Cup win

December 3, 2017 1:31amby Peter Badel and Rikki-Lee ArnoldSource: The Courier-Mail
KANGAROOS halfback Cooper Cronk has dropped a World Cup-winning bombshell by announcing his retirement from representative football.

Just an hour after leading the Kangaroos to a 6-0 defeat of England in the World Cup final, Cronk revealed he would walk away from Queensland and Australia to focus solely on his new club the Roosters next season.

The decision leaves a massive hole in Australia and Queensland’s scrumbase with Cronk and halves partner Johnathan Thurston to be missing from the Maroons and Kangaroos in 2018.

“It just felt right,” Cronk said.

MILESTONE: Why Cronk wore bronze number

MATCH: Roos remain top after epic final

“Out of respect, I told Mal (Meninga, Australia coach) earlier on in the week. I also rang ‘Kevvie’ Walters (Queensland mentor) on Friday afternoon.

An emotional Cooper Cronk (right) with Australian captain Cameron Smith following Australia’s Rugby League World Cup final win over England on Saturday night.
An emotional Cooper Cronk (right) with Australian captain Cameron Smith following Australia’s Rugby League World Cup final win over England on Saturday night.Source: AAP
“It’s just a fitting end.

“When I announced I was leaving Melbourne, I thought this would be it anyway.

“I’ve had a fair ride ... this is the best case scenario for me and the team moving forward.”

Cronk played his 38th Test for Australia last night _ ironically equalling Thurston _ and admitted he knew his 22nd game for Queensland in the Origin decider in July would be his last in Maroon.

“Mal was a bit taken aback,” he said.

“He thought I thought would talk about my style of play when I asked to have a chat.

“Kevvie knew it was the right decision for me, he was very supportive, he knows what type of person I am.”

Cooper Cronk celebrates after State of Origin game III this year.
Cooper Cronk celebrates after State of Origin game III this year.Source: Getty Images
Cronk celebrates his 34th birthday this Tuesday and is confident his body can survive at the Roosters for another two years without the demands of representative football.

The Kangaroos playmaker admits he walked away because it is time for younger players to have the opportunity to step up in Test and Origin football.

“There’s a few five-eighths in the team that could transition into it,” he said

“To try and predict what’s going to happen ... a lot can happen.

“I don’t want to put any pressure on anyone. They deserve the moments I’ve had. I’ve loved every minute and treasured every moment in the Queensland and Australian teams.

“What we achieved with the Kangaroos was great for the international game.”

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mal meninga is shitting bricks because now he'll be exposed as a shit coach.

The qld coaching job would have to be the easiest job in the whole world even Des couldn't fuck it up
A very smart move, he has everything to gain from Roosters. Also are going to pay for tuition fees at a prestigious uni in the US or something like that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's probably inevitable that the core of the Queensland side are all headed for rep retirement. To me this isn't such a bombshell.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maroons and Kangaroos great Cooper Cronk retires from all representative rugby league following Australia’s World Cup win

December 3, 2017 1:31amby Peter Badel and Rikki-Lee ArnoldSource: The Courier-Mail
KANGAROOS halfback Cooper Cronk has dropped a World Cup-winning bombshell by announcing his retirement from representative football.

Just an hour after leading the Kangaroos to a 6-0 defeat of England in the World Cup final, Cronk revealed he would walk away from Queensland and Australia to focus solely on his new club the Roosters next season.

The decision leaves a massive hole in Australia and Queensland’s scrumbase with Cronk and halves partner Johnathan Thurston to be missing from the Maroons and Kangaroos in 2018.

“It just felt right,” Cronk said.

MILESTONE: Why Cronk wore bronze number

MATCH: Roos remain top after epic final

“Out of respect, I told Mal (Meninga, Australia coach) earlier on in the week. I also rang ‘Kevvie’ Walters (Queensland mentor) on Friday afternoon.

An emotional Cooper Cronk (right) with Australian captain Cameron Smith following Australia’s Rugby League World Cup final win over England on Saturday night.
An emotional Cooper Cronk (right) with Australian captain Cameron Smith following Australia’s Rugby League World Cup final win over England on Saturday night.Source: AAP
“It’s just a fitting end.

“When I announced I was leaving Melbourne, I thought this would be it anyway.

“I’ve had a fair ride ... this is the best case scenario for me and the team moving forward.”

Cronk played his 38th Test for Australia last night _ ironically equalling Thurston _ and admitted he knew his 22nd game for Queensland in the Origin decider in July would be his last in Maroon.

“Mal was a bit taken aback,” he said.

“He thought I thought would talk about my style of play when I asked to have a chat.

“Kevvie knew it was the right decision for me, he was very supportive, he knows what type of person I am.”

Cooper Cronk celebrates after State of Origin game III this year.
Cooper Cronk celebrates after State of Origin game III this year.Source: Getty Images
Cronk celebrates his 34th birthday this Tuesday and is confident his body can survive at the Roosters for another two years without the demands of representative football.

The Kangaroos playmaker admits he walked away because it is time for younger players to have the opportunity to step up in Test and Origin football.

“There’s a few five-eighths in the team that could transition into it,” he said

“To try and predict what’s going to happen ... a lot can happen.

“I don’t want to put any pressure on anyone. They deserve the moments I’ve had. I’ve loved every minute and treasured every moment in the Queensland and Australian teams.

“What we achieved with the Kangaroos was great for the international game.”

That's a bombshell?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Origin gets interesting now, Cronk was difference between a loss and a win in recent games.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na. Smith is the difference. When he goes we win.
Smith is obviously the biggest threat but we won in 2014 when Cronk was injured, add Thurston out of the picture as well and NSW have a pretty good chance next year.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the greats. All class from Cronk. He’s an ornament to the game and now can focus on winning another premiership at club level.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like Cronk is not only good on the field but also very clever off the field.
By retiring from rep football Cooper will have made both Politis, Gyngel and Ch9 very happy. Both him and Tara will have a high paying guaranteed job for life at Ch9 or the rotters now.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Mal meninga is shitting bricks because now he'll be exposed as a shit coach.

The qld coaching job would have to be the easiest job in the whole world even Des couldn't fuck it up
he doesnt coach qld anymore tbh

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Na. Smith is the difference. When he goes we win.
Smith is the best of the three. But without Thurston and Cronk, I don’t think Smith can save them from a series loss next year.

Time will tell I guess.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All class from Cronk.
Yeah... first class. Tickets paid for with blood money forged from Uncle Nick’s dodgy dealings.

You will still choke next year. What a shit club. Play by a different set of rules, yet still perennial chokers.

Can’t wait til you bow out in the semi or prelim. Money can’t buy a soul!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Means Roosters won't have their 6/7/9 upset during Origin.

Clever move by Roosters telling him to quit by topping up the difference no doubt.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hardly a bombshell!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
OK then , well the kangaroos coaching job would be the equivalent to

'just sit there for a sec and mind the desk'
yeah but thats the same for everyone else, like craig bellamy gets his reputation as a great coach despite having the players to succeed and cheating the cap, wayne bennett had a state of origin level club roster to build his reputation in the 90's

meninga had a 53% win percentage and 2 finals wins at the nrl level over 5 seasons, so this puts him ahead of many people who are in the nrl currently like brad arthur and ivan cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.