News Cronk ruled out for Roosters, Lam to debut

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/22/cronk-ruled-out-for-roosters-lam-to-debut/

Roosters rookie Lachlan Lam will make his much-anticipated first grade debut after a Cooper Cronk hamstring injury scratched the champion half from Saturday's clash with Manly.

The Tricolours have been granted an NRL exemption to bring Lam into Trent Robinson's side in jersey No. 23 – the same number Cronk wore in his heroic grand final display last season – having not named a back-up playmaker in their original 21-man squad. Cronk has been ruled out with hamstring tightness.

Lam is the son of former Roosters, Queensland and Papua New Guinea favourite Adrian, and recently signed a two-year extension at Bondi despite an approach by Wigan to join his dad in the Super League.

The 20-year-old half has been groomed as an eventual successor to Cronk's No.7 jumper for some time, and now gets his first crack at the top flight opposite incumbent Australian half Daly Cherry-Evans.

Given the Roosters have another six-day turnaround between Saturday's trip to Brookvale and a round three clash with Parramatta, the club is hopeful Cronk's "hamstring tightness" will only sideline him for one week.

Speaking prior to Cronk being ruled out, coach Trent Robinson said he would "get more out of" star recruit Angus Crichton after he played just 19 minutes in his club debut against his former team, the Roosters' arch rivals South Sydney last Friday.

Crichton is still working back to full fitness from off-season shoulder surgery and has been named on the bench once more against the Sea Eagles.

The NSW Origin incumbent has been open about his desire to start on the right edge, but has been respectful of club favourite Mitch Aubusson's status.

Robinson played Crichton on the left when bringing him off the pine against the Rabbitohs, and said discussions around the 23-year-old's position in his side would be kept in-house.

"There's a plan around Angus. Angus knows his position and he's been quite open about that," Robinson said.

"He's come here for a reason but he also will play the team role that's needed. We want to develop Angus and improve him constantly as a player and that was our commitment to him when he came here … we want to honour him coming here but also we want to make sure the Roosters are on track as well.

"It's easy for me to stand here and talk about long term but long term's tomorrow night for us. I'll talk to Angus about that but I don't really need to talk to everybody about that.

"He knows our plan. The team knows our plan but long term for us is tomorrow night. That's what we're focused on. We can't wait to go over and improve on last week in Manly."
______________________________________________________________________________________

Is it just my hatred for the Rorters or is this yet another example of the NRL looking after the Rorters?
Allowing them an exemption to play Lam who wasnt selected in their extended bench only now because Cronk is a late withdrawal.
Should they be allowed this?
Technically Aubusson was named as halfback for the Grand Final last year (When Cronk was supposed to be out), so they do have a player who according to them can play the position.

If it were us, we would be forced to play someone from our extended bench to play half, I am sure of it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/22/cronk-ruled-out-for-roosters-lam-to-debut/

Roosters rookie Lachlan Lam will make his much-anticipated first grade debut after a Cooper Cronk hamstring injury scratched the champion half from Saturday's clash with Manly.

The Tricolours have been granted an NRL exemption to bring Lam into Trent Robinson's side in jersey No. 23 – the same number Cronk wore in his heroic grand final display last season – having not named a back-up playmaker in their original 21-man squad. Cronk has been ruled out with hamstring tightness.

Lam is the son of former Roosters, Queensland and Papua New Guinea favourite Adrian, and recently signed a two-year extension at Bondi despite an approach by Wigan to join his dad in the Super League.

The 20-year-old half has been groomed as an eventual successor to Cronk's No.7 jumper for some time, and now gets his first crack at the top flight opposite incumbent Australian half Daly Cherry-Evans.

Given the Roosters have another six-day turnaround between Saturday's trip to Brookvale and a round three clash with Parramatta, the club is hopeful Cronk's "hamstring tightness" will only sideline him for one week.

Speaking prior to Cronk being ruled out, coach Trent Robinson said he would "get more out of" star recruit Angus Crichton after he played just 19 minutes in his club debut against his former team, the Roosters' arch rivals South Sydney last Friday.

Crichton is still working back to full fitness from off-season shoulder surgery and has been named on the bench once more against the Sea Eagles.

The NSW Origin incumbent has been open about his desire to start on the right edge, but has been respectful of club favourite Mitch Aubusson's status.

Robinson played Crichton on the left when bringing him off the pine against the Rabbitohs, and said discussions around the 23-year-old's position in his side would be kept in-house.

"There's a plan around Angus. Angus knows his position and he's been quite open about that," Robinson said.

"He's come here for a reason but he also will play the team role that's needed. We want to develop Angus and improve him constantly as a player and that was our commitment to him when he came here … we want to honour him coming here but also we want to make sure the Roosters are on track as well.

"It's easy for me to stand here and talk about long term but long term's tomorrow night for us. I'll talk to Angus about that but I don't really need to talk to everybody about that.

"He knows our plan. The team knows our plan but long term for us is tomorrow night. That's what we're focused on. We can't wait to go over and improve on last week in Manly."

______________________________________________________________________________________

Is it just my hatred for the Rorters or is this yet another example of the NRL looking after the Rorters?

Allowing them an exemption to play Lam who wasnt selected in their extended bench only now because Cronk is a late withdrawal.

Should they be allowed this?

Technically Aubusson was named as halfback for the Grand Final last year (When Cronk was supposed to be out), so they do have a player who according to them can play the position.

If it were us, we would be forced to play someone from our extended bench to play half, I am sure of it.

It seems like they're getting preferential treatment. But I guess that if another club has an issue like this they can point out that the NRL allowed this. Still gives me the shits that it was allowed. But the NRL won't be responsible for the possibility of the Roosters having an off day due to poor planning.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't have a back up play maker so can stack other positions, get exemption anyway for one when needed.

Fuck I would love to piss on Greenjews face.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry but what's the point of picking a squad for the weekend if you can still swap players in? It should either be final or fuck off the rule altogether!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters getting favours from the NRLol?

I'm in a deep state of shock pause not.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sorry but what's the point of picking a squad for the weekend if you can still swap players in? It should either be final or fuck off the rule altogether!

Agree 100%. Why are they allowing the Roosters to do this? Their have been precedents in the past, not in this exact circumstance, but still to do with the ability to play a specific player due to injury. i.e the use of development players when a position can't be covered by anyone in the 30 man squad.

Two years ago this system was put in place to give transparency and a look of fairness......

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/02/28/nrl-team-lists-announcement-changes/

In 2017, NRL.com and the 16 NRL clubs will announce squads of 21 players at 4.00pm on Tuesdays, with 19-man squads named 24 hours prior to kick-off for every match.

Official NRL Team Lists

The team lists process was reviewed in the off-season with a goal to recommend the optimal future system for NRL matches.

The aim was to improve the accuracy of player information, including correct positional data, and to limit any potential integrity risk to the game through an improved team announcement procedure.

Every Tuesday at 4.00pm Sydney time, NRL.com and each club will announce a 21-man squad consisting of 17 "Active" players named in position, with a maximum of four additional players named as "Reserves". (The Warriors squad will be released at 3.00pm Sydney time [5.00pm Auckland time] on Tuesdays.)

Then 24 hours before each game kicks off a 19-man squad, only from players included in the initial 21-man squad, is selected with 17 "Active" players named in position and a maximum of two additional players named as "Reserves". For example:

• Wednesday 8.00pm announcement for teams playing at 8.00pm on Thursday

• Thursday 8.00pm announcement for teams playing at 8.00pm on Friday

• Friday 7.30pm announcement for teams playing at 7.30pm on Saturday

• Saturday 4.00pm announcement for teams playing at 4.00pm on Sunday

Then one hour prior to kick-off a final team of 17 active players is confirmed, only selected from players included in the 19-man squad.

Clubs wanting to bring in a player from outside the 21-man squad or the 19-man squad after they have been announced must apply for an exemption which will be evaluated by the NRL's Head of Football on a case-by-case basis.

Other Rules:

• Players named as "Reserves" on Tuesday will still be able to be named in the starting sides of NYC and NSW/QLD Cup

• Any players included in the 19-man squad will be deemed ineligible for selection in the final 17-man squad if they play in a NSW/QLD Cup match prior to the NRL match

• In each squad announcement, coaches are to endeavour to name teams with players in correct positions

NYC team lists will follow the same process, but their squad sizes at the three announcements are 23, 20 and 17 players.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Theyve also got Brock Lamb as a backup.. meanwhile at the Dogs..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow. What a joke. What's the point of the 21 man squad then?

If this were us, or Manly or the Tigers or some other paupers then theres no way an exemption would be made.

Fuck this comp is so rorted and corrupt. No wonder I don't watch this shit any more. WWE Wrestling is less scripted and fake than the NRL...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Resting your players so early in the year because they can and the NRL turns a blind eye....