Cricket 2022/23 thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No one has the time or patience these days to spend the whole day watching a 50 over game when there is nothing at stake. At least when we were growing up it was a tri-series & there was a final. They should've made it a 4 nations trophy with India & NZ as they are playing in NZ right now.

Me personally, I think it should be tests & T20 only or make 50 over games around 35 overs.
Agree on 1st point - this series really seemed to be unnecessary

Disagree on 2nd point - one day cricket CAN be great, and has qualities that t20 will never replace. To me, it takes some of the best bits of test cricket (watching a batsman build an innings, the battle of bat v ball, quality captaincy). But, I know I'm in a minority.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That is pretty much where the game is headed I think. Either pure red ball 2 innings cricket or bash n barge 20 over rock n roll Entertainment.
Why I'm not a fan of t20: Too many flukes. England weren't the best side to win the WC, just like Aus wasn't last time.

England can spin BS all they want about it, and why their performance in the odi series has been pathetic. But Australia's never lost to Ireland. And look at how Netherlands went.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree on 1st point - this series really seemed to be unnecessary

Disagree on 2nd point - one day cricket CAN be great, and has qualities that t20 will never replace. To me, it takes some of the best bits of test cricket (watching a batsman build an innings, the battle of bat v ball, quality captaincy). But, I know I'm in a minority.
Agree CD..

Plus T20 is like fast food..it fills the void and sure you like it when you have it..but afterwards it doesn’t really satisfy..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So, does Justin Langer have a desire to make himself unemployable?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So, we're heading to the WACA, I mean that new AFL stadium in Perth for the first test.

Wednesday start. Against a 2nd tier team. Out of normal Perth test scheduling. Not the ideal start to the proper cricket for the summer.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but this could be the best Windies test team to come to Aus in 20 years. Pretty sure they've won their last 3 series, including against England.
The best Windies side in 20 years wouldn't be saying much as a statement on its own :grinning:

I'm hoping they will be competitive, but they really do lack the Aura of yesteryear. I remember a time where i could name the Windies side as easily as i could our own.

Edit: on the form question. Last test series they beat Bangladesh, then before that 1 nil over England (rom 3 test series), then go back to about a year ago where they lost 2 nil to SL.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The best Windies side in 20 years wouldn't be saying much as a statement on its own :grinning:

I'm hoping the will be competitive, but they really do lack the Aura of yesteryear. I remember a time where i could name the Windies side as easily as i could our own.
I remember a time when every international cricket team had a core of players who would go down as greats..none better than the mighty Windies.. What an era..

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I'm hoping they will be competitive, but they really do lack the Aura of yesteryear. I remember a time where i could name the Windies side as easily as i could our own.

Edit: on the form question. Last test series they beat Bangladesh, then before that 1 nil over England (rom 3 test series), then go back to about a year ago where they lost 2 nil to SL.
It seems as though this time they don't have a dominant personality in the squad.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a great podcast with Justin Langer if you're interested

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but this could be the best Windies test team to come to Aus in 20 years. Pretty sure they've won their last 3 series, including against England.
England were absolutely awful when they played the Windies. Aussies should make light work of them.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dunno what sort of crowds they will get at Optus(gayfl)Stadium either..enough to justify taking it away from an iconic place like the WACA?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Embarrassing crowd. WACA would of sold out.
No, it wouldn't have sold out at the WACA either, although this is where games against nations other than the big 3 should be held.

There are plenty of reasons why - Wednesday daytime stat, cricket public who have just been saturated by a t20 world cup, tier 2 opposition...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just put the cricket on for like the first time in 2 years or so. Does Michael Slater not do commentary anymore??

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't have sold out at the WACA either, although this is where games against nations other than the big 3 should be held.

There are plenty of reasons why - Wednesday daytime stat, cricket public who have just been saturated by a t20 world cup, tier 2 opposition...
It’s still an embarrassing crowd, completely quiet.