Cricket 2022/23 thread

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
46 runs (NO) off 280 balls. Special knock for all the wrong reasons in the shield final.
Watched 10 mins yesterday. Had faced 240 rocks and was dead batting genuine half volleys… Would have though he would have had his eye in after facing that many balls

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Watched 10 mins yesterday. Had faced 240 rocks and was dead batting genuine half volleys… Would have though he would have had his eye in after facing that many balls
Yes. But they were powerful half volleys....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Piss poor from the bowler. Batter wasn’t even creeping that bad.

Pretty funny reaction though :tearsofjoy:
It's a dog act and umpire should have told the bowler to fuck off.

Reaction was pretty funny though.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's a dog act and umpire should have told the bowler to fuck off.

Reaction was pretty funny though.
Unfortunately it’s in the rules. Doesn’t look like a high level game hence why I think it’s a dog act by the bowler

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s in the rules. Doesn’t look like a high level game hence why I think it’s a dog act by the bowler
Surely the bowler has to at least commence his bowling action? edit: maybe not.

Here's the laws of cricket (which i hadn't looked up before): The ball ceases to be dead – that is, it comes into play – when the bowler starts his/her run-up or, if there is no run-up, starts his/her bowling action.

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
just ban the mankad altogether and dock runs from the batting side if the umpire feels if the non striker is gaining a significant advantage.
problem solved

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
just ban the mankad altogether and dock runs from the batting side if the umpire feels if the non striker is gaining a significant advantage.
problem solved
Or just stay in your crease…. Problem solved
It’s really not that hard

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely the bowler has to at least commence his bowling action? edit: maybe not.

Here's the laws of cricket (which i hadn't looked up before): The ball ceases to be dead – that is, it comes into play – when the bowler starts his/her run-up or, if there is no run-up, starts his/her bowling action.
You can’t complete your bowling action to do a mankad. Basically if the batter is walking out of his crease as you come into bowl they are fair game.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can’t complete your bowling action to do a mankad. Basically if the batter is walking out of his crease as you come into bowl they are fair game.
But in the example above, the batsman wasn't exactly backing up halfway down the pitch or anything. The batsman is also entitled to be able to watch where the ball is going rather than have to be fixated on the bowler to make sure he actually goes through with the delivery. At the non strikers end, i'd want time to make sure i can move out of the way of a ball that gets smacked straight back to me.

Cricket survived for decades with the simple "1 warning rule". We used this in 3rd grade indoor cricket ffs, where a ball is considered "live"the whole time. Why are we needing to change this understanding now? I get it maybe in t20 (which is ruining cricket), but in any other form of cricket? Just stick to traditions.

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
But in the example above, the batsman wasn't exactly backing up halfway down the pitch or anything. The batsman is also entitled to be able to watch where the ball is going rather than have to be fixated on the bowler to make sure he actually goes through with the delivery. At the non strikers end, i'd want time to make sure i can move out of the way of a ball that gets smacked straight back to me.

Cricket survived for decades with the simple "1 warning rule". We used this in 3rd grade indoor cricket ffs, when a ball is considered "live"the whole time. Why are we needing to change this understanding now? I get it maybe in t20 (which is ruining cricket), but in any other form of cricket? Just stick to traditions.
Old mate was in his gather and the batter was already out of the crease. And tbf - someone tipped him off based on the way it played out so my guess he'd been creeping for a while. And his body language when the bails went off said he knew he was fckd.

Hate the whole thing myself but if you're looking to find blame, how about the guys who abused the tradition of not running the non-striker out. Seen short form cricket plenty of times where the guy is 3 or 4m out and going - and in kids cricket - its a disease. Its these guys that forced the rule to be enforced, not the bowler.

As for indoor - well played a few years ago and some clown was creeping by 2m. So I kept warning him. And warning him. And warning him. Took the bails off, appealed and copped a gob full from the other team. he's out by a metre but next thing I'm getting pasted by the ump for holding up the game.

Could still fling a ball so did the only thing i could - came into bowl and just bowled it straight at the non striker with a beamer. And apologised, the ball slipped, sorry. Funny - he stayed in his crease after that 8-)

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Despise the IPL, can’t believe it gets this slot and barely anything else is on.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a pity they keep changing the formula around for tournaments. Whilst I think 16 is possibly too many teams, the upcoming WC just has the 10 main cricketing countries playing. Needs a couple of randos imo, like a Canada, Netherlands, Bermuda or Nepal etc.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah - IPL is shit. KKR needs 29 off the final over - 28 off 5 balls and wins with 5 consecutive sixes by 3 wickets.

Garbage....