Cricket 2021/22 Thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well keeper/bowlers is easy. Right now, I'd be throwing some of the kids in to replace Warners partner, send Smith and Labbie to 3 and 4, kid at 5, Green 6, and keeper/bowlers after that. Look at India, they throw their better u19's in the deep end shortly after and look where they're at now (think Iver hit a 100 today). OK - we don't exactly have any decent U19's but same, same. Ward, Hunt, a few of those types of selections. Continuously thinking Harris?, Khawaja, Head etc. is the long term solution is ridiculous.

Good thing about kids, they get a few games grace b4 other teams plan. Whole world knows what to do with Khawaja, Head, Harris. Not liking depending on roads for my top order to score runs. Just my 2c...
Only worry is debut against Poms in a Ashes Test. As big as it gets but yeah selectors may resort to the T20 formula of old guys for experience. Short term thinking for sure.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well keeper/bowlers is easy. Right now, I'd be throwing some of the kids in to replace Warners partner, send Smith and Labbie to 3 and 4, kid at 5, Green 6, and keeper/bowlers after that. Look at India, they throw their better u19's in the deep end shortly after and look where they're at now (think Iver hit a 100 today). OK - we don't exactly have any decent U19's but same, same. Ward, Hunt, a few of those types of selections. Continuously thinking Harris?, Khawaja, Head etc. is the long term solution is ridiculous.

Good thing about kids, they get a few games grace b4 other teams plan. Whole world knows what to do with Khawaja, Head, Harris. Not liking depending on roads for my top order to score runs. Just my 2c...
Don’t have any kids making runs mate. Pucovski and Green are the 2 best young bats in the country then there’s daylight. Iyer is 27 and has made 5000 first class runs @ 52 before finally getting a test cap. We got no one in that class available.

Harris I dunno why they’ve gone back to him. Just a pity Pucovski is unavailable. Khawaja at 5 for mine.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Don’t have any kids making runs mate. Pucovski and Green are the 2 best young bats in the country then there’s daylight. Iyer is 27 and has made 5000 first class runs @ 52 before finally getting a test cap. We got no one in that class available.

Harris I dunno why they’ve gone back to him. Just a pity Pucovski is unavailable. Khawaja at 5 for mine.
Ok - he's 26 and debuted in t20 at 22 so maybe thats where I'm getting him from. Does Pant help? Age 21 and as a wk - I'm sure being Indian he was chosen as the best bat/wk available rather than the other way around. Agree about comparing to Iyer but thats where you need someone to take an opportunity.

I sort of get it @ Shield. I also get that the pitches in Shield are either roads or spicy - so think 40 - 45 averages may mean a bit more. To me, I'd pick young uns on technique rather than temperament. No obvious flaws, but flash out to something stupid every so often is better than watching Head hang the bat outside off with no footwork and expect great outcomes. I also wouldn't pick Pucovski as he cannot play the short stuff - full stop. When (not if) he gets lidded in a big game, he's gone for the series. Sorry, not saying he has to hook the crap out of everything but if Waugh can play a career against the windies without a hook or pull, the template is already there.

TBF, since T20 became like watching an ad on tele (as in every 5 mins its on), not riding results like I did when playing and coaching. Just like the idea of you come off a good shield season, you're in form, you're young you get a shot if there's no one else nailing down the spot. Ward and Hunt (Hunt for 2 years) have done that. And you never know, one of these may just go up another level at Tests and be there for the next 15 years.

Also here what @wendog33 is saying about ashes but tbf, thats all media. Reckon you cop a harder time on the field from the saffers than the poms.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ok - he's 26 and debuted in t20 at 22 so maybe thats where I'm getting him from. Does Pant help? Age 21 and as a wk - I'm sure being Indian he was chosen as the best bat/wk available rather than the other way around. Agree about comparing to Iyer but thats where you need someone to take an opportunity.

I sort of get it @ Shield. I also get that the pitches in Shield are either roads or spicy - so think 40 - 45 averages may mean a bit more. To me, I'd pick young uns on technique rather than temperament. No obvious flaws, but flash out to something stupid every so often is better than watching Head hang the bat outside off with no footwork and expect great outcomes. I also wouldn't pick Pucovski as he cannot play the short stuff - full stop. When (not if) he gets lidded in a big game, he's gone for the series. Sorry, not saying he has to hook the crap out of everything but if Waugh can play a career against the windies without a hook or pull, the template is already there.

TBF, since T20 became like watching an ad on tele (as in every 5 mins its on), not riding results like I did when playing and coaching. Just like the idea of you come off a good shield season, you're in form, you're young you get a shot if there's no one else nailing down the spot. Ward and Hunt (Hunt for 2 years) have done that. And you never know, one of these may just go up another level at Tests and be there for the next 15 years.

Also here what @wendog33 is saying about ashes but tbf, thats all media. Reckon you cop a harder time on the field from the saffers than the poms.
Beware Balmy Army lol
They'll be full of smartarse cheek this tour with all the controversies of late. Hope Steve Smith makes a few tons to encourage their rage all the more :grinning:

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Pant and Shaw were still averaging 50+ in the ranji trophy and are both clearly phenomenal talents. We just don’t have any exceptional talents like those guys coming through atm which is the concern and reason why we’re still looking at guys like Head and Harris to ‘do a job’. I’m definitely with you on selecting someone like Hunt over Harris at this point in time. Harris is a nicker, Broad, Anderson, Robinson will work him over guaranteed.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Pant and Shaw were still averaging 50+ in the ranji trophy and are both clearly phenomenal talents. We just don’t have any exceptional talents like those guys coming through atm which is the concern and reason why we’re still looking at guys like Head and Harris to ‘do a job’. I’m definitely with you on selecting someone like Hunt over Harris at this point in time. Harris is a nicker, Broad, Anderson, Robinson will work him over guaranteed.
Pant scored a triple hundred in game where the other team declared at 2/635. That's what got him on the radar. That'll get your average up a bit. 100% agree about talent though - Fraser McGurk is about the best we have talent wise and hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Having said that, talent is easy, the q is where do you find guys that can go to another level. Labbie and Smith are great examples. Neither was good to start but found something. Would prefer to go looking for these guys when we have a bit of talent to offset their fails than go back to mid-80's cricket....

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
R.I.P. Phillip Hughes..It is 7 years ago today, 27th of November 2014, that his life support system was turned off after being struck two days earlier by a bouncer at the SCG playing for South Australia vs NSW. He was only 25 years old.

He was extremely successful in the early part of his international career. He was the youngest player at 20 to score a century in both innings of a test match, when he faced South Africa in 2009. He also was the first Australian to score a century on debut in an One-day 50 over international limited match, when playing against Sri Lanka in 2013. After a lean trot of innings he was dropped from the national Test team in 2013, however he was hoping to be considered for a Test recall with a big innings against his former side NSW. Tragically, attempting a pull shot on a well made 63, he was struck in the head and never regained consciousness.

Condolences to his family and friends. A talented cricketer, and by all reports a nice person. He was taken far too early.. Thanks for the memories..

Last edited:

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware Balmy Army lol
They'll be full of smartarse cheek this tour with all the controversies of late. Hope Steve Smith makes a few tons to encourage their rage all the more :grinning:
They just need to be reminded of the Yorkshire county cricket racism scandal. Because I'm guessing they will all conveniently want to forget about that story.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should give it to the poms. But if Warner and Smith struggle this summer, we could have an uphill battle.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
They just need to be reminded of the Yorkshire county cricket racism scandal. Because I'm guessing they will all conveniently want to forget about that story.
Nah - just think people are so soft these days. No names but coached a kids cricket team a couple of w/ends ago against a test player. Run into him a few times, have enough cred myself to talk the game. Was always curious about the Eddo Brandes story and whether it was true, he said it was.

Anyways, after the game he's complaining about our kids mouths. Sort of wore it, I was out there for his kids who were as fckng noisy but apart from annoying, no big deal. Not like my 1st game in grade years ago where within 2 overs, had been told about all the relos I'd had sex with.

Seriously, either everyone needs to harden the fck up or we go full pc. Indians complaining about abuse at the Australian test? Well, been to test a chennai with an Indian friend and had him translating some of the crowd taunts. Amazing the double standards.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Have you made up a little rhyming ditty for the Aussie fans to sing? :grinning:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We should give it to the poms. But if Warner and Smith struggle this summer, we could have an uphill battle.
We will grind them into the dust, IMO, Fam. They are a diabolical test cricket side who have fallen far from the path. They have an atrocious batting line up and most of their bowlers aren’t suited to our conditions. Smith snd Warner will cash in. If not, Labuschagne, Green and Head/ Khawaja will be good for some runs. I honestly think they’ll be struggling to score 200 each innings. Namaste

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will grind them into the dust, IMO, Fam. They are a diabolical test cricket side who have fallen far from the path. They have an atrocious batting line up and most of their bowlers aren’t suited to our conditions. Smith snd Warner will cash in. If not, Labuschagne, Green and Head/ Khawaja will be good for some runs. I honestly think they’ll be struggling to score 200 each innings. Namaste
Our middle order has been brittle,If Warner and Smith don't fire it will be exposed early. Jimmy Anderson has troubled us before,in fact anyone who swings the ball troubles us. With a wet summer predicted,it means a lot of cloud cover and a lot of swing.
We should beat them easily though

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Our middle order has been brittle,If Warner and Smith don't fire it will be exposed early. Jimmy Anderson has troubled us before,in fact anyone who swings the ball troubles us. With a wet summer predicted,it means a lot of cloud cover and a lot of swing.
We should beat them easily though
Jimmy Anderson is old, Brittle and will be lucky to play three of the five test matches, Fam. If we're worried about Swing, Woakes is a bigger concern at this stage. Our batting order is already looking more solid, IMO. Khawaja is in great form and has a great record in Australia - should play. Green is a great young talent who did pretty well against India despite being exposed too early by our top order, Labuschagne has been one of the best players in the world over the past few years. If we play Inglis, he is also a bit better with the bat than Paine. Harris is the big worry for me. I'd play Khawaja in his place at the top of the order and stick with Head at 5, personally.

While there are still some question marks over our batting, their batting line up is much worse. They will rely much more heavily on Root (who doesn't have a good record here) and Stokes (who is seriously underdone and a hot and cold player at the best of times) than we will on Smith and Warner. Personally, I think Smith and Warner will do well, anyway. Smith loves batting against England and I think Warner rediscovered his mojo a bit in the hit and giggle cup. Completely different formats, I know. But confidence can do wonders.

The biggest worry for me is that we are a bit underdone in long form cricket. Still think we'll win easily though. Namaste

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jimmy Anderson is old, Brittle and will be lucky to play three of the five test matches, Fam. If we're worried about Swing, Woakes is a bigger concern at this stage. Our batting order is already looking more solid, IMO. Khawaja is in great form and has a great record in Australia - should play. Green is a great young talent who did pretty well against India despite being exposed too early by our top order, Labuschagne has been one of the best players in the world over the past few years. If we play Inglis, he is also a bit better with the bat than Paine. Harris is the big worry for me. I'd play Khawaja in his place at the top of the order and stick with Head at 5, personally.

While there are still some question marks over our batting, their batting line up is much worse. They will rely much more heavily on Root (who doesn't have a good record here) and Stokes (who is seriously underdone and a hot and cold player at the best of times) than we will on Smith and Warner. Personally, I think Smith and Warner will do well, anyway. Smith loves batting against England and I think Warner rediscovered his mojo a bit in the hit and giggle cup. Completely different formats, I know. But confidence can do wonders.

The biggest worry for me is that we are a bit underdone in long form cricket. Still think we'll win easily though. Namaste
Ute any cricket players, who may get bagged on here, that you may decide to champion this series?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ute any cricket players, who may get bagged on here, that you may decide to champion this series?
That depends on who the kennel is bagging this summer, Fam. I am not just a defender of the downtrodden. They have to show me something...lol. Namaste

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Whilst I agree with most of that, And I think we will win. but, Lose a few tosses,with high likelihood of rain affected grounds and lost time and our lack of quality recent game time, We could be under pressure if we lose 1 early

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with most of that, And I think we will win. but, Lose a few tosses,with high likelihood of rain affected grounds and lost time and our lack of quality recent game time, We could be under pressure if we lose 1 early
I'm honestly not too worried about swing. England are not too good with the Kookaburra. They need that glorified indoor cricket ball known as the Duke. Not to mention we nearly beat them in their own backyard last time and have a slightly better side this time around. I remember a few seasons ago we were supposed to struggle against the Black Caps in the day night test. Absolutely flogged 'em. Honestly, being underdone is the one thing that worries me a little. Our prep has not been ideal. Having said that, everyone in our batting line up barring Smith and Warner has had a decent hit in the shield.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm honestly not too worried about swing. England are not too good with the Kookaburra. They need that glorified indoor cricket ball known as the Duke. Not to mention we nearly beat them in their own backyard last time and have a slightly better side this time around. I remember a few seasons ago we were supposed to struggle against the Black Caps in the day night test. Absolutely flogged 'em. Honestly, being underdone is the one thing that worries me a little. Our prep has not been ideal. Having said that, everyone in our batting line up barring Smith and Warner has had a decent hit in the shield.
I feel more confident for having read your posts.