Cricket 2021/22 Thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't agree. Cricket has a range of issues and tbh - throwing more onto FTA would make it worse. Hear me out.

Its oversaturated. Used to be that you started with a few one dayers or state games, then onto tests and finishing with shorter form. November to Feb for the big games. If u were super keen, you could watch the same from os in the 'off season'. So to compete with other 90min sports, the game has gotten shorter. And now we have more games.

Its a marketing fail. Restrict supply to increase value vs dumping a cheaper product. Over time, people lose interest in the cheaper product. FTA would make that worse. The tragics would watch anything anytime, but the rank and file are what makes cricket popular. The tragics will get the subs.

This has fed down to the park level stuff. When I went back to park cricket 25 years ago, the assoc in Sydney I played in, 10 teams - 12 grades. Last year - 6 teams in four grades. Despite more sub-continentals in the area than you can poke a stick at. Why? Chicken or egg maybe. Is it the lack of support or the more money councils can make from soccer or oztag or similar. Hard to say - but can tell you between myself and kids cricket, the game is dying at a ground roots level in Sydney and reckon FTA has zero to do with it.

I went back to local A grade a few years ago (late 40's). Bought a lid for the first time coz I thought at my age, sure to get some young punk and I probably don't have it anymore after 10 years not playing. Threw the lid away after 3 overs and couldn't get over my disgust at the standard. And as the season progressed, the lid never came out again. And some of the teams had some lower grade quicks in it. On dodgy syntho. Weak as piss.

Yet I took the kid to one of his rep games last year and there was a 20/20 game on the next field, all from the sub continent. One of the bowlers had the keeper back a pitch and half and the dude was catching it on the up. And the bats were having a crack at this guy. Obviously there are some filthy cricketers playing T20, but not normal cricket.

Heard this is mainly around society and work schedules these days. well, can remember in the park days, guys worked around their cricket. Now guys cricket around their work. And T20 and techniques? FFS.

Know some of the state kids coming through atm. There's a kid playing for Bankstown (Blacktown?) 1sts who's signed on futures and I've heard he's good. But otherwise.... zippo. The 4 or 5 kids from my area (including an ex-test guys kid), seen them all and don't see the technique or the desire.

Telling ya - Oz cricket is on a slippery slope. Other than Green - anyone think of an under 25 player in the system thats worth something? Nope. Grade level in Sydney, anyone setting the world on fire? Nope.

Over saturated product and not enough people playing cricket. Can only end one way.

Rant over - back to annoying people on other threads.
Agree. Although a lot of sports are facing this reduced participation and lowering of skills problem.

I guess essentially my beef is FTA promote the game better and therefore appeal to a wider audience and generate better engagement with the general public.

It's a big fail if sports fans don't even know that there is a cricket series being played.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Agree. Although a lot of sports are facing this reduced participation and lowering of skills problem.

I guess essentially my beef is FTA promote the game better and therefore appeal to a wider audience and generate better engagement with the general public.

It's a big fail if sports fans don't even know that there is a cricket series being played.
And other sports may have other reasons for it. As for reduced participation, no idea but can tell you weekend winter soccer is fckng nuts - teams and kids galore down here.

I know where you're coming from but think it further devalues a product that is already devalued.

Involved in the game for a fckng long time at a range of levels. Tbh, would have no idea a series is being played. Why? Because it won't be something important and there's only so much cricket i want to watch. Just my 2c.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Getting The Ashes series out of the way early in England next year so they can play some shit local comp that's even worse than T20.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You argue like a coward. You didn’t say anything when he scored only 1 and waited till he scored a century to say anything.

I’d still not have him in the one day team & let him concentrate on his test batting.
He’s still one of our best one day batters. Coward? Why cause I question your knowledge on something. Get over yourself tosser

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep i reckon he can be groomed to be the next incarnation of Watto.
As much as Watson was underrated in a way. His numbers were pretty impressive when you look back at his career compared to other allrounders at the time I feel Green can be a greater success then Watson. His batting is exceptional especially for a kid who burst on the FC scene as mainly a bowler !

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't agree. Cricket has a range of issues and tbh - throwing more onto FTA would make it worse. Hear me out.

Its oversaturated. Used to be that you started with a few one dayers or state games, then onto tests and finishing with shorter form. November to Feb for the big games. If u were super keen, you could watch the same from os in the 'off season'. So to compete with other 90min sports, the game has gotten shorter. And now we have more games.

Its a marketing fail. Restrict supply to increase value vs dumping a cheaper product. Over time, people lose interest in the cheaper product. FTA would make that worse. The tragics would watch anything anytime, but the rank and file are what makes cricket popular. The tragics will get the subs.

This has fed down to the park level stuff. When I went back to park cricket 25 years ago, the assoc in Sydney I played in, 10 teams - 12 grades. Last year - 6 teams in four grades. Despite more sub-continentals in the area than you can poke a stick at. Why? Chicken or egg maybe. Is it the lack of support or the more money councils can make from soccer or oztag or similar. Hard to say - but can tell you between myself and kids cricket, the game is dying at a ground roots level in Sydney and reckon FTA has zero to do with it.

I went back to local A grade a few years ago (late 40's). Bought a lid for the first time coz I thought at my age, sure to get some young punk and I probably don't have it anymore after 10 years not playing. Threw the lid away after 3 overs and couldn't get over my disgust at the standard. And as the season progressed, the lid never came out again. And some of the teams had some lower grade quicks in it. On dodgy syntho. Weak as piss.

Yet I took the kid to one of his rep games last year and there was a 20/20 game on the next field, all from the sub continent. One of the bowlers had the keeper back a pitch and half and the dude was catching it on the up. And the bats were having a crack at this guy. Obviously there are some filthy cricketers playing T20, but not normal cricket.

Heard this is mainly around society and work schedules these days. well, can remember in the park days, guys worked around their cricket. Now guys cricket around their work. And T20 and techniques? FFS.

Know some of the state kids coming through atm. There's a kid playing for Bankstown (Blacktown?) 1sts who's signed on futures and I've heard he's good. But otherwise.... zippo. The 4 or 5 kids from my area (including an ex-test guys kid), seen them all and don't see the technique or the desire.

Telling ya - Oz cricket is on a slippery slope. Other than Green - anyone think of an under 25 player in the system thats worth something? Nope. Grade level in Sydney, anyone setting the world on fire? Nope.

Over saturated product and not enough people playing cricket. Can only end one way.

Rant over - back to annoying people on other threads.
Spot on. It’s disgusting the standard these days

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
DRS to be used in BBL now

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
DRS to be used in BBL now
They also got rid of the Bash Boost point and the x factor nonsense. Should be a good season for my Heat hopefully, though they love to disappoint us fans.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bulls playing like its Test Cricket

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Townville Grandstand named in honour of Roy. This is nice, but surely would have been better to reveal at the time of the matches being played there a few weeks ago?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Townville Grandstand named in honour of Roy. This is nice, but surely would have been better to reveal at the time of the matches being played there a few weeks ago?

Absolutely CD..it would have been most fitting..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was on the GC today most of the day. Various meetings. It wasn't until I was getting on the M1, having just driven past the stadium, to head back to Brisbane that I heard something about there being a game on this evening. Be interesting to see if anybody is actually there.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Starc is good at leaking runs these days don't get me wrong on his day his lethal but been leaking to many runs of late
Yeah his first over was pretty standard for him these days. Needs the ball to swing for him early.