Cricket 2021/22 Thread

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cam Green is an absolute superstar. Asked to fill in at opener in his second T2o international. Just reels off a cruisy 61 off 30 and sets up a successful chase of 209. No worries....lol. Surely Stoinis' days in the team are numbered. Green can match him for strike power but can also knuckle down and rebuild an innings. Has to be in the first choice side sooner than later. Maybe even as a replacement for Finch at the top of the order. Crazy to think he isn't even in the WC squad.

This kid will be the best all format player in the world within a few years, I reckon.

Also, Matty Wade has become a phenomenal finisher at T20 level.
FlanaGreen?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So is illegally stealing ground to try and score easier runs and minimise run out risk. It's not a wishy washy statement, it's a clear clarification of playing guidelines to remove grey area from the minds of officials and to put the onus on the non striker to remain in their crease until the ball has been released. If the non striker does this, the Mankad is not even a factor. People can complain as much as they like, but it's in the rule book and is no longer considered unfair play by the MCC. Players are just going to have to adapt to it.
Just keep your bat behind the crease as you move forward until the ball is released.. Taught this as a kid..simple stuff,.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just keep your bat behind the crease as you move forward until the ball is released.. Taught this as a kid..simple stuff,.
Yep. As I said, I'm not exactly a fan of the Mankad as a mode of dismissal, but there's one surefire way to prevent it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lol..Yep..I was gunna say this thread is pretty quiet.. anyway godspeed to you Protector of the Oppressed and Agitator of the Easily Riled!
Cricket has suffered the most bc of these dumb TV rights deals.

They surely have lost a heap of momentum and publicity by changing from ABC and the FTA channels to Fox for some comps?

Lots of the general public or even cricket fans don't bother watching on Fox or don't even know the games are on, the promotion is so slack.

It used to be front and centre in the public eye but not now.

I hope it ramps up coming into Summer but FTA is the key.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

They surely have lost a heap of momentum and publicity by changing from ABC and the FTA channels to Fox for some comps?

Lots of the general public or even cricket fans don't bother watching on Fox or don't even know the games are on, the promotion is so slack.

True WD..so many local and international competitions so little FTA coverage..:cry:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
True WD..so many local and international competitions so little FTA coverage..:cry:
Down the track Cricket development will suffer if they don't get this right soon.

It's high status in the Aussie sporting psyche, by watching all forms of the game, must be protected over tv rights money.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Down the track Cricket development will suffer if they don't get this right soon.

It's high status in the Aussie sporting psyche, by watching all forms of the game, must be protected over tv rights money.
Absolutely!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Yep, it's been a long time since international cricket was free to watch in England and look how much the game is struggling over there. Nobody tunes in, so they try to compensate by dreaming up silly shite like the hundred.

I love my cricket though, so I just got kayo. Not too pricey and i get all international limited overs games, away test series and every doggies game. Despite this, I often only find out about our limited overs fixtures through Facebook groups.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, it's been a long time since international cricket was free to watch in England and look how much the game is struggling over there. Nobody tunes in, so they try to compensate by dreaming up silly shite like the hundred.

I love my cricket though, so I just got kayo. Not too pricey and i get all international limited overs games, away test series and every doggies game. Despite this, I often only find out about our limited overs fixtures through Facebook groups.
I think its a bit of "yes and no" when it comes to FTA coverage here in Australia (UK is definitely a different story).

We probably have more access to cricket on FTA TV than ever before (citation needed), especially now with the Big Bash and with women's cricket. Remember the old days of TV market blackouts? Even though i grew up 600km from the SCG, if there was a game there, I couldn't watch a large chunk of it.

With Kayo you get access to so much more than we ever had before (overseas tours). With the demise of ODI cricket, we're probably going to see less and less make it to FTA though.

I think one of the problems is too much meaningless cricket, like the three three game series we've had just in the past few weeks. It tens to dilute things. We are playing a TWO match T20 series again Windies next week. Who the hell even know that was on? (BTW, i think its only on Kayo/Foxtel).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think its a bit of "yes and no" when it comes to FTA coverage here in Australia (UK is definitely a different story).

We probably have more access to cricket on FTA TV than ever before (citation needed), especially now with the Big Bash and with women's cricket. Remember the old days of TV market blackouts? Even though i grew up 600km from the SCG, if there was a game there, I couldn't watch a large chunk of it.

With Kayo you get access to so much more than we ever had before (overseas tours). With the demise of ODI cricket, we're probably going to see less and less make it to FTA though.

I think one of the problems is too much meaningless cricket, like the three three game series we've had just in the past few weeks. It tens to dilute things. We are playing a TWO match T20 series again Windies next week. Who the hell even know that was on? (BTW, i think its only on Kayo/Foxtel).
Yeah, true....I just can't get into the Big Bash....I'll often flick it on of an evening in summer, then get caught up in something else and forget I'm even watching it. I'd much rather watch home international limited overs fixtures on FTA.... but I guess they will go with whatever is marketable.... It does make me wonder whether test cricket will eventually go down the same road as home LOIs though.... which would be a shame.

The T20 series are warm ups for the T20I world cup in a month's time...so they do kinda make sense. Usually if we tour a country to play T20s there are some ODIs too, if not test matches. But I agree there is too much international cricket and specifically too many bilateral limited overs series in a general sense these days. What really doesn't make sense to me is we have two T20I world cups in the space of two years....which kind of devalues the idea of a world cup....we were actually supposed to host our world cup a few years ago, I think... but got fobbed off for the rescheduled IPL....The whole game is a slave to Indian influence and money right now.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, true....I just can't get into the Big Bash....I'll often flick it on of an evening in summer, then get caught up in something else and forget I'm even watching it. I'd much rather watch home international limited overs fixtures on FTA.... but I guess they will go with whatever is marketable.... It does make me wonder whether test cricket will eventually go down the same road as home LOIs though.... which would be a shame.

The T20 series are warm ups for the T20I world cup in a month's time...so they do kinda make sense. Usually if we tour a country to play T20s there are some ODIs too, if not test matches. But I agree there is too much international cricket and specifically too many bilateral limited overs series in a general sense these days. What really doesn't make sense to me is we have two T20I world cups in the space of two years....which kind of devalues the idea of a world cup....we were actually supposed to host our world cup a few years ago, I think... but got fobbed off for the rescheduled IPL....The whole game is a slave to Indian influence and money right now.
There is a lot of t20 cricket on, isn't there? Two world cups in a row isn't helping that perception.

i can't really get into t20 at all at any level. I'll watch a bit of it international level, but Big Bash just isn't really quality cricket TBH.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There is a lot of t20 cricket on, isn't there? Two world cups in a row isn't helping that perception.

i can't really get into t20 at all at any level. I'll watch a bit of it international level, but Big Bash just isn't really quality cricket TBH.
Yep, way too much of it. I guess it rates with the younger crowd, but it will never be as good as ODIs for me.... let alone tests, which will always be the greatest format of the game, IMO.

I can sort of watch T20 internationals, but I still find the format ridiculous. They can have a rain affected match with just 5 overs a side and still call it a game. How is 5 overs a side a game of cricket? lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

That's what is so wrong. Not many even know these series/games are on. Wouldn't have that problem if FTA bc they promote the games more widely.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
That's what is so wrong. Not many even know these series/games are on. Wouldn't have that problem if FTA bc they promote the games more widely.
Don't agree. Cricket has a range of issues and tbh - throwing more onto FTA would make it worse. Hear me out.

Its oversaturated. Used to be that you started with a few one dayers or state games, then onto tests and finishing with shorter form. November to Feb for the big games. If u were super keen, you could watch the same from os in the 'off season'. So to compete with other 90min sports, the game has gotten shorter. And now we have more games.

Its a marketing fail. Restrict supply to increase value vs dumping a cheaper product. Over time, people lose interest in the cheaper product. FTA would make that worse. The tragics would watch anything anytime, but the rank and file are what makes cricket popular. The tragics will get the subs.

This has fed down to the park level stuff. When I went back to park cricket 25 years ago, the assoc in Sydney I played in, 10 teams - 12 grades. Last year - 6 teams in four grades. Despite more sub-continentals in the area than you can poke a stick at. Why? Chicken or egg maybe. Is it the lack of support or the more money councils can make from soccer or oztag or similar. Hard to say - but can tell you between myself and kids cricket, the game is dying at a ground roots level in Sydney and reckon FTA has zero to do with it.

I went back to local A grade a few years ago (late 40's). Bought a lid for the first time coz I thought at my age, sure to get some young punk and I probably don't have it anymore after 10 years not playing. Threw the lid away after 3 overs and couldn't get over my disgust at the standard. And as the season progressed, the lid never came out again. And some of the teams had some lower grade quicks in it. On dodgy syntho. Weak as piss.

Yet I took the kid to one of his rep games last year and there was a 20/20 game on the next field, all from the sub continent. One of the bowlers had the keeper back a pitch and half and the dude was catching it on the up. And the bats were having a crack at this guy. Obviously there are some filthy cricketers playing T20, but not normal cricket.

Heard this is mainly around society and work schedules these days. well, can remember in the park days, guys worked around their cricket. Now guys cricket around their work. And T20 and techniques? FFS.

Know some of the state kids coming through atm. There's a kid playing for Bankstown (Blacktown?) 1sts who's signed on futures and I've heard he's good. But otherwise.... zippo. The 4 or 5 kids from my area (including an ex-test guys kid), seen them all and don't see the technique or the desire.

Telling ya - Oz cricket is on a slippery slope. Other than Green - anyone think of an under 25 player in the system thats worth something? Nope. Grade level in Sydney, anyone setting the world on fire? Nope.

Over saturated product and not enough people playing cricket. Can only end one way.

Rant over - back to annoying people on other threads.