Cricket 2020/21 thread

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very. His last test was a year ago. Since them its been shite at First Class level.

What's the point of shield cricket if its it's not to be used as a selection tool?
He was out of the team due to injury not performance.
If the key tool is shield cricket then why did steve smith and dave warner get straight back into the test team??
Because experience counts in international matches!
If burns fails at international level then he gets dropped.
Staying loyal to players that get the job done at international level is why Australia was unbeatable during the late 90's and early 2000's

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He was out of the team due to injury not performance.
If the key tool is shield cricket then why did steve smith and dave warner get straight back into the test team??
Because experience counts in international matches!
If burns fails at international level then he gets dropped.
Staying loyal to players that get the job done at international level is why Australia was unbeatable during the late 90's and early 2000's
Shield isn't the only tool of course - that would be hard considering the national team often doesn't get to play much shield cricket due to touring intentionally. This year is of course much different.

Smith and Warner were two of the best in the world, and had proven that over many years, and of course were going to get back in without much doubt. Burns hardly fits that bill, and instead will be compared to players knocking at the door of selection.

If i was to line up Burns and Pucovski right now, i'd pick the latter. His form this summer just can't be ignored. the incumbency argument has its limitations.

Australia was unbeatable back then because they has the best players full stop, not because they refused to try new players. I have of course never played in a team environment as such as high level, and I get the team atmosphere etc of a playing unit being and remaining together, but i also remember over the years players not being dropped who should have, simply because we were winning at the time.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shield isn't the only tool of course - that would be hard considering the national team often doesn't get to play much shield cricket due to touring intentionally. This year is of course much different.

Smith and Warner were two of the best in the world, and had proven that over many years, and of course were going to get back in without much doubt. Burns hardly fits that bill, and instead will be compared to players knocking at the door of selection.

If i was to line up Burns and Pucovski right now, i'd pick the latter. His form this summer just can't be ignored. the incumbency argument has its limitations.

Australia was unbeatable back then because they has the best players full stop, not because they refused to try new players. I have of course never played in a team environment as such as high level, and I get the team atmosphere etc of a playing unit being and remaining together, but i also remember over the years players not being dropped who should have, simply because we were winning at the time.
You can not drop a guy after scoring 180, that is ridiculous!
Shield cricket is a massive step down from International Cricket, just because he has done well in Shield doesnt mean he will do well in international cricket, Im picking the guy that has proven himself at test cricket and scored hundreds (4) before at that level.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

and when Burns scores yet another hundred at test level this summer I will send you a smiley face and revert back to this conversation. :grinning:

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So iv always hated cricket with a passion and last season my girlfriend made me go to a couple of Sixers games with her brothers.

Now I can't wait for the T20 to kick off. Wtf is wrong with me

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
you put Pucovski in the middle order at 5 or 6
Nah, they should be slotting Green into the middle order. Burns can't buy a run and needs to go. Also, not sure where you get the idea he made 180 in his last test. He made 18 and 40 in his last test match against NZ. The test before that he made 0 and 35 and the test before that he made 9 and 53. Against Pakistan he scored 97 in his only innings in the first test, but only made 4 in his only knock in the second test. Did nothing much in England either. I think you're thinking about a match against Sri Lanka on an absolute road almost two years ago. I don't think Warner will play, so he'll probably be getting a reprieve for at least one more test, but he has been far from setting the world on fire since that knock against sri lanka and his first class form has been abysmal.

Pucovski and Green should both play.....not that I thinbk that is likely to happen.

Slight revision - Burns did miss the ashes, I forgot about that.....but he 100 percent played against NZ and Pakistan and with the exception of two innings, his returns were very modest.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
and when Burns scores yet another hundred at test level this summer I will send you a smiley face and revert back to this conversation. :grinning:
Unlikely he will score any form of century this summer. He couldn't hit a beach ball with a canoe at the moment.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, they should be slotting Green into the middle order. Burns can't buy a run and needs to go. Also, not sure where you get the idea he made 180 in his last test. He made 18 and 40 in his last test match against NZ. The test before that he made 0 and 35 and the test before that he made 9 and 53. Against Pakistan he scored 97 in his only innings in the first test, but only made 4 in his only knock in the second test. Did nothing much in England either. I think you're thinking about a match against Sri Lanka on an absolute road almost two years ago. I don't think Warner will play, so he'll probably be getting a reprieve for at least one more test, but he has been far from setting the world on fire since that knock against sri lanka and his first class form has been abysmal.

Pucovski and Green should both play.....not that I thinbk that is likely to happen.
You are correct I missed that series at the start of the year.
I still think Burns will come good and Warner has said he wants him to open with him.
Pucovski will get his chance opening with burns in the first test before Warner comes back for the 2nd test.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Slight revision - Burns did miss the ashes, I forgot about that.....but he 100 percent played against NZ and Pakistan and with the exception of two innings, his returns were very modest.
I think his last test was against NZ in the new years test, but TBH, couldn't recall what he scored.

I don't really go for the whole putting openers in the middle order, plus as you said, Green should slot in nicely.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think his last test was against NZ in the new years test, but TBH, couldn't recall what he scored.

I don't really go for the whole putting openers in the middle order, plus as you said, Green should slot in nicely.
yes my bad he didnt do great at the start of the year, I missed that series

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You are correct I missed that series at the start of the year.
I still think Burns will come good and Warner has said he wants him to open with him.
Pucovski will get his chance opening with burns in the first test before Warner comes back for the 2nd test.
Warner and Burns are mates.....but in all honesty, I think Burns should only play if Warner is unfit....and if Burns fails and Pucovski gets runs in the first test, Burns needs to be the one to make way IMO.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
wanna bet?
Mate, I don't bet.....but if he proves me wrong, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I just think he's completely shot for confidence at the moment and I don't have much confidence he can do a hjob for us at the top of the order.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

I think Pucovski has played a fair bit of shield cricket in the middle order, but realistically, Head has performed better than Burns and Wade in recent times. If two players are going to make way, they should be Burns and Wade.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Steketee is bloody bowling well! 5 wickets already
Yeah, he's done a good job....unfortunately for him we are much more solid in the bowling department than the batting department....we have some great bats, but a few weak links as well....forcing yourself into the bowling rotation might be a tougher ask. ....although who knows, if Stac keeps spraying him all over the place like he did in the ODIS.....

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, he's done a good job....unfortunately for him we are much more solid in the bowling department than the batting department....we have some great bats, but a few weak links as well....forcing yourself into the bowling rotation might be a tougher ask. ....although who knows, if Stac keeps spraying him all over the place like he did in the ODIS.....
Yeh I feel sorry for guys like him and Pattinson who are great bowlers but only getting a shot if someone gets injured.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steketee is bloody bowling well! 5 wickets already
I haven't seen any footage, but are the Indians going for it or are they batting careful? Six out of nine wickets in the 2nd innings were caught, which suggests they were going for it any possibly getting out a bit easier as a result.

Also, Burns a 2nd innings duck...