Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Neither, we dont need backs. For me all we might need depending on what Baz gets out of the 9s he tries this year, is a good hooker and we are ready to rumble in 2022.

As it is we have Cotric, Meaney, Hopoate, JAC, Okunbor, Averillo, DWZ, Allan. 8 starting players for 5 positions. Thats not counting the fringe backs like Katoa and C Crighton.
Depends who’s worth re-signing though.
Meaney, Hoppa & Okunbor all off contract this year so we might need one more back for 2022.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are both great players, that couldn't be more different..

One is explosive and powerful, the other is silky smooth..

I'd take both in a heartbeat, but I'd rather the explosive guy... I've seen staggs destroy defences and do it all on his own, multiple times.

I'm adding a poll to the thread.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton’s contract standoff costs Penrith a pretty penny

Many thought Stephen Crichton was crazy to walk away from a $500K handshake deal, but the move is about to pay off big time.

The NRL’s next millionaire could be made this week with the Penrith Panthers set to table a deal that will make Stephen Crichton rugby league’s richest centre.

The NRL’s next millionaire could be made this week with the Penrith Panthers set to table a deal that will make Stephen Crichton rugby league’s richest centre.
Crichton will be offered a $10,000-a-game upgrade to his existing contract as part of a new deal that is expected to be worth $2.25 million over three years.

Hoping to end the contract saga that began with a revelation that “the next big thing” reneged on a $500,000 handshake deal, the Panthers confirmed that a revised contract had been finalised and would be put to Crichton as early as this week.

“It has been a bit of a process since the grand final but we are almost there,” Penrith coach Ivan Cleary (inset) said.

“It has been a bit of a process since the grand final but we are almost there,” Penrith coach Ivan Cleary (inset) said.

“It (managing the roster) has been a challenge for us after a successful year that came as a bit of a surprise, but we are confident that he won’t be going anywhere.”

It is understood the $2.25 million will include a $250,000 upgrade to his current contract which is set to expire at the end of this year.

The $750,000-a-year deal will leapfrog Crichton over Roosters powerhouse Joey Manu ($700,000) as the NRL’s highest-paid full-time centre in a stunning achievement for a 20-year-old who has played just 26 NRL games.

The Panthers are confident the new deal will be enough to fend off interest from a long line of rival clubs, led by the cashed-up Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant remember a better young centre coming thru, id hate to mark him, has it all, strong as an ox, explosive from a standstill, and quick with good hands, can goalkick also.
Should be our priority for 2022, whatever it takes, I believe $700k is fair for this kid, lesser centres are on $500-$600k and no one else comes close. Very consistent footballer

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love Staggs attitude. Team was going shit but he still stood out. Crichton had a great year but I'd like to see him back it up this year.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. While Brandon smith is a priority for me due to our hooker being shit since ennis/cooks few games and the rest of the spine settled the fact we have Napa and hopp off the books makes staggs just as vital. After reading this about Crichton getting 750k I’d throw that at staggs for sure.

I’ve said over and over the fact Napa and hoppa cover around 1.3 we only need 200k more to mate staggs and b Smith 750k offers and I think they would both jump.

I’d find an extra 100k if we had to ffs. We need them and with Lewis alone going out we are there.

Wakeham is already contracted and would be depth.

Throw in guys like jmk, britt, c Smith, Meaney, Crichton, Ogden etc all off the books and on more than minimum and some won’t get a go in first grade again we are certainly able to build around.

B Smith and staggs for 2022 please doggies!!!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I love Staggs attitude. Team was going shit but he still stood out. Crichton had a great year but I'd like to see him back it up this year.
You'd think he'd lock himself up before we get to see just in case he can't back it up. His value could tank very fast.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was initially for Crichton over Staggs not having watched Staggs much but if you watch the highlights (links below) of both Crichton and Staggs, Staqgs did a lot more work to score his tries than Crichton who basically just had to fall over the line for most of his tries.

The stats also support Staggs for last season. While Crichton's teammates helped him to look good in a red hot team, Staggs team finished last but Staggs despite not getting much assistance from his teammates had a stronger strike rate in scoring tries, in tackle breaks and in line breaks. Crichton only finished higher in try assists and average running metres.

I thought Crichton was going to be a bit cheaper but if reports are true the Panthers are now offering Crichton 750K we should at least offer Staggs 700K. He's definitely the best centre in the NRL. He beat Joey Manu (also with a performing top 4 team) for tries scored and for average line breaks. Manu averaged 4 tackle busts per game while Staggs averaged 3. Crichton 2. Hopa 1.

Look at Hopa's stats and you will see why he needs replacing. Remember average running metres mean shit. Tolman averaged 141 metres last season. It takes Hopa on average 7 games to score a try. It takes him 5 games to make a line break and he only busts an average of around one and a half tackles per game. Hopeless for the 500 - 600K we're paying him. LOL Aiden Tolman scored as many tries as Hopa last season (5 more games but...)

Even when we get JAC in 2022 if Hopa is anywhere in our backline then our backline will still remain "average". If we pay an extra 100 - 200K (shed Lewis too) and upgrade Hopa for Staggs then our garage is suddenly full of Ferraris. We're not certainties to get Brandon Smith. He may well prefer to move back to Brisbane to be near his family. We need all the strike / bang for buck we can get in attack especially if we end up with a hooker like McInnes or worse.

Staggs
14 games
10 tries (0.71)
1 try assist (0.07)
46 tackle busts (3.29)
12 line breaks (0.86)
97 average metres

Crichton
26 games
17 tries (0.65)
7 try assists (0.27)
55 tackle busts (2.12)
18 line breaks (0.69)
114 average metres

Manu
21 games
9 tries (0.42)
5 try assists (0.24)
85 tackle busts (4.05)
9 line breaks (0.43)
108 average metres

Will Hopoate
13 games
2 tries (0.15)
2 try assists (0.15)
21 tackle busts (1.62)
3 line breaks (0.23)
154 average metres

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d be having a play for Staggs. He suits our team and he’s a tough little bastard.
It has to happen next year shipping out Napa and Hoppa.
Hooker is THE most important position we need filling though.
Then Staggs and a prop.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway we are not in talks anymore with outside backs from what I’ve been hearing we are in talks with a superstar prop but no names was mentioned not for this year thou for 2022 and beyond