Opinion Credit to Lewis

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No I'm not going to start some argument that Lewis is our halfback going forward. It will always mystify me how a bloke with the number 7 on his back can pass to the grass so often, and in terms of his ability to play first grade I think he can count himself fortunate he has his current contract. I can't see any way he is going to earn another.

However I also believe in being balanced in ones views, and it is only fair to credit Lewis for the fact that he got straight up last night within seconds of copping a concussion from Su'a's hit, and tried to play the ball. It says a lot about the spirit with which he plays the game, and even though he plays the game mostly poorly, I am very happy to applaud his attitude and spirit. Players who stay down in order to get a penalty, and don't even end up going off for a HIA (Siva for one), disgust me.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree mate. He is definitely lacking in some skills but you can't deny his toughness. The commentators didn't make a big deal of the hit last night but watching the replays Lewis got absolutely hammered in the side of the head by Sua's shoulder

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it was silly of him to do that because in the case of no penalty it would be considered a lost ball, but I do get he was concussed.

Anyway I know the thread isn't about his ability so better I leave it there, there's enough other threads about his ability.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should pass judgement on our team playing this year into next.
Our coaching has been terrible and team selection horrendous,as a team collectively we have suffered and looked disfunctional.
2021 will answer a lot of questions about 2020 under our new coaching

Malla

Reaction score
This has never been questioned from Lewis. He has shown us time and time again that he's tough. I remember clearly a couple years ago the game v Bunnies, he had Burgess running at him all day and he put him on his ass each time.

He lacks skill. Is a horrible halfback. But yeah, good on him for getting up straight away lol

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am sure that this has been pointed out many times over, but the most concerning thing for me (admitted Lewis Superfan) is that he doesn't seem to have improved in ANY aspect of his game since his 1st FG game. Had he already hit his ceiling when he played his first 1st grade game, or is there something that is holding back his development - poor coaching, too cocky/not willing to learn from his mistakes ....

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Respect to anyone that cops a hit like that and continues on (or tries to) instead of these pussies these days laying down and acting like soccer players! Until then his kicking game was running our momentum and a large reason to what we were doing.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had he already hit his ceiling when he played his first 1st grade game, or is there something that is holding back his development - poor coaching, too cocky/not willing to learn from his mistakes ....
He reminds me of a karaoke singer at a bar who hogs the mic all night thinking he's a better singer than what he actually is:grinning:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually felt sad for the kid last night. Whether you love or hate him, he's one of our own and he was illegally bashed last night.

Credit to him for getting back up so quickly. Shows the character he has.

He's a first grade player. I just don't think he's had the proper guidance a young half should have. As mentioned by @WillieMasonFan, his game hasn't changed at all since game 1... who's fault that is we're not too sure yet.

Barrett seems to see something in him, so I'll take hope in that. I think he still has a bright NRL future, he just has to get the basics right.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually felt sad for the kid last night. Whether you love or hate him, he's one of our own and he was illegally bashed last night.

Credit to him for getting back up so quickly. Shows the character he has.

He's a first grade player. I just don't think he's had the proper guidance a young half should have. As mentioned by @WillieMasonFan, his game hasn't changed at all since game 1... who's fault that is we're not too sure yet.

Barrett seems to see something in him, so I'll take hope in that. I think he still has a bright NRL future, he just has to get the basics right.
I like the kids attitude, and he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. When a bloke gets bashed senseless like that they are on auto-pilot, and the fact that, on auto-pilot, his instincts were to get up and play the ball, says more loudly than anything that he is all about the game and his team mates.

I doubt very much Barrett can get enough of anything out of him to justify another contract. If he does, I'll be very happy to stand and applaud and be proven wrong.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was
I like the kids attitude, and he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. When a bloke gets bashed senseless like that they are on auto-pilot, and the fact that, on auto-pilot, his instincts were to get up and play the ball, says more loudly than anything that he is all about the game and his team mates.

I doubt very much Barrett can get enough of anything out of him to justify another contract. If he does, I'll be very happy to stand and applaud and be proven wrong.
He seems arrogant and has a toxic effect on the side...where's this nice bloke you're talking about?

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree mate. He is definitely lacking in some skills but you can't deny his toughness. The commentators didn't make a big deal of the hit last night but watching the replays Lewis got absolutely hammered in the side of the head by Sua's shoulder
Watching the replay on NRL.com and you can hear during one of the ad breaks the commentators saying "nah that was all shoulder, he just got whiplash" and Fittler was the only one saying "mate, definitely got the head, etf"

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was

He seems arrogant and has a toxic effect on the side...where's this nice bloke you're talking about?
The personality that he displays during interviews doesn't necessarily correlate with arrogance, it actually smells more like native cheerful optimism, he seems like a bit of a goof. There are indications that could be interpreted as arrogance, but no firm proof. In most team sports environments real arrogance gets dealt with pretty quick. I'm not convinced that he has been toxic for the team environment, earlier in the season I'd have thought it possible, but the fact is despite not being a good player we've had our best games when he is in the team, and our worst when he wasn't.