Craig Bellamy: Bulldogs prepare mega deal for Melbourne Storm coach

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Bellamy slams Bulldogs report but hints he may work past Storm contract

Craig Bellamy has shut down reports that he could take up the top coaching job at the Bulldogs while providing an update on his future past 2021.
Reports surfaced on Friday that Bellamy was in line for a multimillion-dollar deal with the Bulldogs as current head coach Dean Pay’s chances of an extension at the end of the season diminish.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Bulldogs were looking at offering Bellamy $1.2-$1.4 million a season for two to three years.

But Bellamy emphatically denied the reports, saying he had not once reached out to or spoken with the Bulldogs.

“I didn’t get a call from anyone,” he said after Melbourne’s 21-14 loss to Penrith.

“I haven’t read the story, I don’t want to read the story.

“What’s in there isn’t true. I think someone told me I’d spoken to the Bulldogs twice. I haven’t spoken to anyone at the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is under pressure. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
“I can’t wipe that out and say my manager did, I don’t have a manager now.

“At the end of the day that’s not an issue either so I can honestly sit here and say I haven’t spoke to the Bulldogs. It irks me a bit.”

Pay in 2018 was the latest success story from the Storm coaching system, graduating from its ranks to take up a head coaching role.

“They can write what they like but Dean Pay is a friend of mine, I don’t think that’s fair on him,” Bellamy said.

Bellamy slams Storm's defence

0:31
“He’s got into a tough job there and I think he’s doing a pretty good job.”

Bellamy is contracted with the Storm until the end of the 2021 season.

He has been in the head role since 2003, guiding the Storm to eight grand-final appearances and two premierships.

Bellamy says that he doubts he will remain a coach past 2021, happy to likely give up his spot.

Craig Bellamy says he likely will stop coaching at the end of 2021. (AAP Image/Mal Fairclough)Source: AAP
“I’ve got a contract with the Storm for next year so I’m not going to say what I’m going to do because I don’t quite know to be honest,” he said.

“But I’m thinking I’m 62, I think next year will be it for head coaching.

“But things change sometimes. I’m not quite sure.

“I’m still enjoying it without a doubt but I think it might be time for someone else after next year.”

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I truly believe this all started by someone from the club leaking bullshit to the media for three reasons.

1. to flaunt there’s a head coach position available
2. To indicate money is available to a high profile candidate
3. To flush out any potential applicants and have coaches approach the club rather than do the recruitment themselves

if that’s how we fill positions at the club rather than hunting the best people I’m really disappointed in where we are at.
If no one is available i believe they will resign pay

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually we don't

He is on a results based contract. So can be sacked if results are shit. (maybe your team can do that sort of contract)

5th year is in the clubs favour & if he wins a GF, the contract money is increased.
Luckily you still have Milford to soften the blow......

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has he signed yet or even better has Pay quit?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
"Craig actually rang me, that's the sort of bloke he is, and [we] spoke about it," Pay told media on Saturday.

"I appreciate that, that's the sort of bloke he is.

"We've been mates for a while. Obviously he's got a really high standing in the game, he's really respected so I appreciate it."

It comes after Bellamy fired shots at the media following Melbourne's crucial loss to Penrith on Friday night.

Addressing the sudden links between him and Pay's job next year, Bellamy vehemently denied having any contact with anyone from the Bulldogs.

"I can honestly sit here and say that I haven’t spoken to the Bulldogs and I think they’ve said the same," Bellamy said.

“It irks me a bit but that’s part of our game these days, anything can get written and no one’s accountable for it.

“At the end of the day if they want to write that they can write what they like, which is obviously what they do.

“But Dean Pay’s a friend of mine and I don’t think that’s fair on Dean. He’s gone into a tough job there and I think he’s doing a pretty good job.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...CDaUuVjQQZI9a2wrfGxIYlZxNADsPUnYR-cTKCh_3y57U

That's the important part of the article.

So that one died a quick death. Either made up or the club leaked something to appear pro-active. If it's the second one then it will back-fire because if they haven't talked to him then why fukin not?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a day.. Started at the Bat and ball pub , then to the 40metre line with 3 mates, stayed for about an hour after full time. One of my best mates gave Baa a banner painted on a sheet that said “Bye Bye Baa Baa” which ended up as a pic on the back page of the Tele next day. And ended at closing time in the pub at Chinatown singing Karioke at midnight...

Took 2 days of work, and I worked for myself!!
That’s a fantastic story Baz and yes it was a big day.
Ba and the boys really dug deep for our great club to win the title.
I’m confident the worst is well and truly behind us in these tumultuous times.
I bet it was a filthy hangover but well worth it lol.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I truly believe this all started by someone from the club leaking bullshit to the media for three reasons.

1. to flaunt there’s a head coach position available
2. To indicate money is available to a high profile candidate
3. To flush out any potential applicants and have coaches approach the club rather than do the recruitment themselves

if that’s how we fill positions at the club rather than hunting the best people I’m really disappointed in where we are at.
Wtf... can you please read what you just wrote you fkn lunatic.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Makes me laugh that so many actually took the Telecrap's word for this.

Still think we'll sound him out though. Doubt he'll come.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wtf... can you please read what you just wrote you fkn lunatic.
I’ve read it and nothing has changed my mind.
Please point out exactly where this board or recruitment committee has instilled such confidence in you regarding their ability to approach and acquire the best candidates for any position? You “fkn lunatic”

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Craig actually rang me, that's the sort of bloke he is, and [we] spoke about it," Pay told media on Saturday.

"I appreciate that, that's the sort of bloke he is.

"We've been mates for a while. Obviously he's got a really high standing in the game, he's really respected so I appreciate it."

It comes after Bellamy fired shots at the media following Melbourne's crucial loss to Penrith on Friday night.

Addressing the sudden links between him and Pay's job next year, Bellamy vehemently denied having any contact with anyone from the Bulldogs.

"I can honestly sit here and say that I haven’t spoken to the Bulldogs and I think they’ve said the same," Bellamy said.

“It irks me a bit but that’s part of our game these days, anything can get written and no one’s accountable for it.

“At the end of the day if they want to write that they can write what they like, which is obviously what they do.

“But Dean Pay’s a friend of mine and I don’t think that’s fair on Dean. He’s gone into a tough job there and I think he’s doing a pretty good job.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...CDaUuVjQQZI9a2wrfGxIYlZxNADsPUnYR-cTKCh_3y57U

That's the important part of the article.

So that one died a quick death. Either made up or the club leaked something to appear pro-active. If it's the second one then it will back-fire because if they haven't talked to him then why fukin not?
The pressure is on for something to happen !

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bellamy typical denial but did say things can change,its up to our club to actually have a go and make it impossible for him to say no

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
If the story was correct and Bellamy was approached than the leak just fucked that right up. He wouldn't be the kind a bloke to like this happening. Remember he was going to the Broncs, until he the story come out. He is in Melbourne, no story comes out. He has total control. At Belmore there are to many egomaniacs.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Actually we don't

He is on a results based contract. So can be sacked if results are shit. (maybe your team can do that sort of contract)

5th year is in the clubs favour & if he wins a GF, the contract money is increased.
So why hasn't he been sacked then lol
Gotta love the arrogance of the maybe your team can do that sort of contract comment. We're shit but we havent had 115 points piled on us in 2 games, and the 3 or so biggest loses in history in the previous 6 games haha

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
He was never going to the Broncos.

He used the story to get more money from the Storm.
I think he was. Every coach wants that gig. He will be at the new Brisbane team. He wants to head north . But I'm happy to see the Broncs struggling now, wasn't going to happen if Bellamy was there.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Benett at the Bulldogs? Club powerbrokers want it to happen

Bulldogs powerbrokers want Wayne Bennett to be the club’s head coach (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts).

Supercoach Wayne Benett has been linked to the Bulldogs just days after it was reported the club were keen on luring Craig Bellamy to Belmore next season.

It comes as under pressure Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, who is off-contract at the end of 2020, continues to fight to save his job.

The Australian’s Brent Read told Triple M that a Bulldogs powerbroker has gone as far as pitching a plan to a board member that would see Bennett and a former player take the coaching reins.

“I spoke to one of (the powerbrokers) yesterday whose idea is that he wants the club to get Wayne Bennett to work with a former player,” Read said.

“He told me the former player but I’m not going to mention him because he’s got another job and I think that would be a bit disrespectful to him but he’s pitched it.

“He pitched it to a member of the board yesterday even with a list of potential recruits: Ben Hunt; Curtis Rona, player’s like this.”

Canterbury-Bankstown fans were reluctant to believe reports on interest in Bellamy because the club released a statement flat out denying it.

However, Read says it’s not CEO Andrew Hill, Chair Lynne Anderson or any members of the board who are showing the interest in other coaches — it’s the club’s powerbrokers who don’t sit on any board, but still have a great deal of power.

“The club’s obviously come out and said ‘we haven’t spoken to Craig Bellamy, we’re not chasing Craig Bellamy’ but you’ve got to understand that clubs don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes,” he said.

“They’ve got people behind the scenes who aren’t on the boards, they aren’t on the leagues club board, they aren’t on the football club board but they’re what you call the old fashioned powerbrokers.

“They hold pockets of votes that decide who sits on these boards and they go out and do their own thing.”

Read says board members are inclined to listen to the ideas of these powerbrokers otherwise it could cost them their positions.

“If you’re a member of the board you’ve got to listen to them because ultimately they could hold sway on whether you stay on the board or get voted out so that’s where this is all coming from.

“People in the footy club and Andrew Hill are okay to say they haven’t approached Craig or they’re not interested in Craig because they probably aren’t but there are people at the Bulldogs who hold pockets of power who there’s no doubt they’re interested in Craig Bellamy.”

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy:

We are better, we don't have Lewis.
The sad part is, given the salary difference, I'd actually take Lewis over Milford at this point. And I'm not a Lewis fan. Milford has been atrocious and zero effort given. Lewis has a go, he just lacks skill.