Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
NO. It contains MCR-5. Google it.
Nah. The vaccine doesn't use MCR-5. It uses HEK 293. Different form of foetal cell line.

Most vaccines made over the last few decades use MCR-5 for development, but the Covid-19 vaccines used HEK 293.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sci-fi bullshit.

There's only one technology we have that can edit DNA. It's called CRISPR and it's extremely complex. But even then it doesn't exactly alter your DNA like you would think. It's basically programmable bacteria that snips your DNA.

The vaccine is also RNA based. Completely different to DNA. An RNA vaccine affecting DNA is literally impossible. Couldn't happen no matter how much technology you put in it.
You may find this interesting Hacky (apologies if you're already aware) :

I'm on Addgene's mailing list.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Eventually, yes.

Similar to the Meningicocal vaccine - ill wait for it to be cover numerous strains, rather than take it one at a time.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, and I am in quite a vulnerable position considering my condition. I will not go out straight away and get the vaccine, as I think it’s been developed far too quickly. (although the allure of making money does lead to haste!) I have followed medical research for a number of years since my accident, and I’ve seen very promising technology stopped for the smallest of things, things those in charge of approving its use believe could be harmful to humans, or will need further testing to make sure it’s not harmful to humans. So I will wait…

Just on the point… I am in no way an anti-vaxer.. they are vital in protecting kids and people from terrible conditions like polio or whooping cough..However I do believe that society is becoming over vaccinated.. flu vacs (never had the vac), Chicken Pox (which I had when I was 20 years old, it was over in two weeks after suffering flu like symptoms and a pretty itchy body..but got through it no prob) I think the proof is kids now with all the different ailments and allergic reaction they have. When I began teaching the only kids I had to worry about, in terms of allergies, was if they were stung by a bee, now it’s a long list of the things they can’t eat, things they can’t drink, things they can’t touch, it’s just unbelievable..

Nonetheless, don’t get me wrong, vaccinations are vital in keeping the human race healthy. However, sometimes our own immune system needs to do some work itself, naturally..As my grandmother used to say, you gotta eat a lot of dirt before it kills you.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll be getting it asap.
Not sure if I'll be in the first vaccination round or the 3rd as my role now is primarily non clinical.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, and I am in quite a vulnerable position considering my condition. I will not go out straight away and get the vaccine, as I think it’s been developed far too quickly. (although the allure of making money does lead to haste!) I have followed medical research for a number of years since my accident, and I’ve seen very promising technology stopped for the smallest of things, things those in charge of approving its use believe could be harmful to humans, or will need further testing to make sure it’s not harmful to humans. So I will wait…

Just on the point… I am in no way an anti-vaxer.. they are vital in protecting kids and people from terrible conditions like polio or whooping cough..However I do believe that society is becoming over vaccinated.. flu vacs (never had the vac), Chicken Pox (which I had when I was 20 years old, it was over in two weeks after suffering flu like symptoms and a pretty itchy body..but got through it no prob) I think the proof is kids now with all the different ailments and allergic reaction they have. When I began teaching the only kids I had to worry about, in terms of allergies, was if they were stung by a bee, now it’s a long list of the things they can’t eat, things they can’t drink, things they can’t touch, it’s just unbelievable..

Nonetheless, don’t get me wrong, vaccinations are vital in keeping the human race healthy. However, sometimes our own immune system needs to do some work itself, naturally..As my grandmother used to say, you gotta eat a lot of dirt before it kills you.
There is definitely some interest there when it comes to newer allergies. They still don't know why there is an increase in peanut allergies but the best explanation so far is that it's likely caused by lack of exposure. Parents are told not to expose their kids to nuts early as they may be allergic, and it turns out that the likely causes of the allergies is parents not exposing their kids to nuts.

I fully understand the hesitancy when it comes to vaccines of any kind. It just seems logical to get vaccinated only if you need to. But herd immunity is an extremely important thing. Many vaccines can't be administered to the very young, the very old, and the immuno-compromised. That's when it becomes important for others to vaccinate.

But there's also other aspects. For example, Chicken Pox. Prior to the chicken pox vaccine, pretty much everyone got it before they were 15. It was an inconvenience but it wasn't dire. Then the vaccine came along and now cases are much more rare. But there is one problem. As cases are rare then there's many who don't get chicken pox when they are children. If they also don't get the vaccine then they'll be fine as long as they don't get exposed to chicken pox. Not getting chicken pox or the vaccine early in life and getting chicken pox later in life can be fatal. It's fine for kids but for adults for some reason it can be a death sentence.

That's one of the concerns about the new generation coming through. We were all exposed as kids so we're fine. This younger generation has little or no exposure to the virus, a growing amount of anti-vax parents, and the unlike small pox, chicken pox hasn't been eradicated. Currently the virus kills around 7,000 adults per year. That may get worse if the virus makes a strong comeback.

On another note, remember that polio and Smallpox were both eradictated by a strong regime of vaccination and people following the vaccination regime.

But as I said before. Always follow your doctor's advice. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor about it. They'll always be honest 'cause they know that you can sue them if they lie.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For those questioning the speed of the development of the vaccine, this article might help:

AFAIK, this website is reliable. It has been given the thumbs up by the sites that fact check medical sites.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've ordered a custom T Shirt from the net with the following emblazoned on the front and back.

Anti-Vaxxers
=
F**king Morons

The indulgence of these ignorant, deluded idiots is over as far as I'm concerned, time to call them what they are.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this belongs in the US Politics, Oz Politics, Covid or Covid vaccine thread, but I hope we don’t see rampant politicisation of vaccine distribution in Australia as appears to have happened in Florida:
AC3CBA36-D373-4355-AD0B-0C263478B97C.jpeg

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There is definitely some interest there when it comes to newer allergies. They still don't know why there is an increase in peanut allergies but the best explanation so far is that it's likely caused by lack of exposure. Parents are told not to expose their kids to nuts early as they may be allergic, and it turns out that the likely causes of the allergies is parents not exposing their kids to nuts.

I fully understand the hesitancy when it comes to vaccines of any kind. It just seems logical to get vaccinated only if you need to. But herd immunity is an extremely important thing. Many vaccines can't be administered to the very young, the very old, and the immuno-compromised. That's when it becomes important for others to vaccinate.

But there's also other aspects. For example, Chicken Pox. Prior to the chicken pox vaccine, pretty much everyone got it before they were 15. It was an inconvenience but it wasn't dire. Then the vaccine came along and now cases are much more rare. But there is one problem. As cases are rare then there's many who don't get chicken pox when they are children. If they also don't get the vaccine then they'll be fine as long as they don't get exposed to chicken pox. Not getting chicken pox or the vaccine early in life and getting chicken pox later in life can be fatal. It's fine for kids but for adults for some reason it can be a death sentence.

That's one of the concerns about the new generation coming through. We were all exposed as kids so we're fine. This younger generation has little or no exposure to the virus, a growing amount of anti-vax parents, and the unlike small pox, chicken pox hasn't been eradicated. Currently the virus kills around 7,000 adults per year. That may get worse if the virus makes a strong comeback.

On another note, remember that polio and Smallpox were both eradictated by a strong regime of vaccination and people following the vaccination regime.

But as I said before. Always follow your doctor's advice. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor about it. They'll always be honest 'cause they know that you can sue them if they lie.
Yep totally get the need for vaccines..totally. As I said in my post, polio, whooping cough, and as you say smallpox, they have pretty much been eradicated. I guess I was lucky with my Chicken Pox..actually I might have been older, I can’t remember, but I actually pretty much breezed through it. The only one I don’t think I may not take is the flu vaccine..as it is, to me, a hit miss one.. Truly though, a part from the vital vaccines, we need to get our immune system working too.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've ordered a custom T Shirt from the net with the following emblazoned on the front and back.

Anti-Vaxxers
=
F**king Morons

The indulgence of these ignorant, deluded idiots is over as far as I'm concerned, time to call them what they are.
As I said, I am not anti-vax, far from it.. Just some things i think your own immunity needs to combat..

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend everyone talk to their doctor before taking it. I'll take it myself asap as I'm aware of the side effects (which there's barely any) and there has been over 200 million people who have received the vaccine with 0 deaths and 0 long term side effects linked to the vaccine.

So personally I think that's enough safety testing for me. But as I said, discuss it with your Doctor and follow your doctor's advice.
You can’t say there are no long term side effects it’s been available for like 2 months

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said, I am not anti-vax, far from it.. Just some things i think your own immunity needs to combat..
From my limited knowledge that's how vaccines work, they trigger your immune system to create anti bodies for specific diseases? They don't cure the disease themselves. Happy to be corrected.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can’t say there are no long term side effects it’s been available for like 2 months
Tested for 8 months so far.

Side effects don't appear later after taking the vaccine. They appear when taking the vaccine. Long term side effects are side effects that appear immediately after taking the vaccine and last for months or years. None of the side effects have lasted longer than 1 week so there's no known long term side effects.

That doesn't mean there isn't something that hasn't been missed, but if there is some long term thing that's been missed then it's extremely minor as it hasn't been picked up yet.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From my limited knowledge that's how vaccines work, they trigger your immune system to create anti bodies for specific diseases? They don't cure the disease themselves. Happy to be corrected.
100% correct. They encourage anti-body development so when you contract the actual disease, your immune system is already prepared to combat it.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe is the man to ask.. however check this out. According to this article Natural immunity is better, however prevention is better than cure..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Adverse reactions to vaccines (any vaccine) typically occur at the time of the injection or very shortly thereafter. They are with very few exceptions, very mild (like a headache, swelling or a local skin reaction). Longer term effects of vaccines aren't really a thing. Its not exactly Thalidomide.