Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see an election announced when the government is so far behind in the polls (and trending in the wrong direction).

I would think they would at least wait until there is a bit of a turnaround as people start feeling a bit more confident.
Or they may have something planned to boost their polling.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
An interesting side note, I've noticed that Labor have been ramping up the attack ads and Morrison is playing politics with COVID.

Think we're going to get an early election announced soon?
I’d be surprised. Going this early is only when you have a commanding lead in the polls or a decent seat majority and they have neither. I reckon he’ll only call it when the vax rate gets to 80% and lockdowns end and then it’s likely too close to Christmas with the 4 week campaign time. Also I reckon the Libs will want a break for any bad blood about Covid etc to die down a bit before it’s called. This is also a Government going for a fourth term - very difficult to achieve at the best of times and they’ll need to tread very carefully. I’d be surprised If it’s called before Q1 2022.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the way I feel about it too. Even with all the unknowns I could never live with myself if I didn't try to lessen the effects COVID could have on me medically. Hubby has had cancer in the past and daughter has some medical issues as well but we have checked with GP about suitability and they are okay so have had first vaccine. It may not be a perfect solution to the virus but if it can help to lessen the blow well and good. We have to deal with the flu year after year and unfortunately looks to be the same with this virus...
100000%

I've got old people around me, 2 infants, 1 pregnant wife. Its a must for me, I don't want to regret not getting it if I ever "touch wood" caught the virus.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Such as? They’ve found 5m more doses??
If they announce an early election and have the vaccination scheduled to be rolled out completely by Christmas and open up the country in time for the holidays, they maybe rely on that achievement and good will to get an early election done? I'm talking about a Q1 2022 election date, when I say early election

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i could be the opposite of the sheep asshole, whatever that is, like conspiracy asshole but i don't think so
I'll have a guess and suggest that your likely an ovis scrotum and punishment gland.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If they announce an early election and have the vaccination scheduled to be rolled out completely by Christmas and open up the country in time for the holidays, they maybe rely on that achievement and good will to get an early election done?
It would really have to be rabbit out of the hat to turn around the feeling I’d say. Interesting thought though - I’m sure the strategists are working overtime.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
An interesting side note, I've noticed that Labor have been ramping up the attack ads and Morrison is playing politics with COVID.

Think we're going to get an early election announced soon?
the election will be timed so that it is after we have reached 80% and well before they lockdown again for the booster shots, this gives a feeling that australia is back to normal and morrison saved the country

very early next year election

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
QLD 2 cases - truck drivers i think, which is where i suspected QLD would get its cases from (as opposed to someone doing the wrong thing / protest etc). i was thinking either a truckie or a hotel quarantine breach from overseas.

one thing about truckies these days though is that everything is pretty contactless. There's no getting out of the truck to sign paperwork or hang out in the smoko room whilst you are loading up (not with reputable companies anyway). My mate takes his own food from home and doesn't have any direct contact with anyone from the time he leaves home to the time he gets home the following day.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d be surprised. Going this early is only when you have a commanding lead in the polls or a decent seat majority and they have neither. I reckon he’ll only call it when the vax rate gets to 80% and lockdowns end and then it’s likely too close to Christmas with the 4 week campaign time. Also I reckon the Libs will want a break for any bad blood about Covid etc to die down a bit before it’s called. This is also a Government going for a fourth term - very difficult to achieve at the best of times and they’ll need to tread very carefully. I’d be surprised If it’s called before Q1 2022.
I agree but Labor are no hope with each way Albo. I don’t pay much attention to the polls after we learnt again last federal election. Labor look like being opposition for a long time yet to come. In one way I wish they’d win for a chance so we don’t have to hear so much whingeing haha.

As for comparing Australia and Mexico in covid cases and vaccination stats? Talk about apples and oranges hahaha

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looks like plans to open up(in some degree) for double jabbers by mid Sept
How's that going to work though? You can't stop every person on the street to see if they're double vaxed or not. I get that something has to be done to reward those that are vaxxed but it will open a can of worms.

It's also unfair on the younger age brackets who had to wait a few months to be eligible to be vaccinated because the roll-out was staggered and the older age groups were prioritised. I will be fully vaxed on the 22nd of September so it shouldn't affect me too much but I can see this creating more issues.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree but Labor are no hope with each way Albo. I don’t pay much attention to the polls after we learnt again last federal election. Labor look like being opposition for a long time yet to come. In one way I wish they’d win for a chance so we don’t have to hear so much whingeing haha.

As for comparing Australia and Mexico in covid cases and vaccination stats? Talk about apples and oranges hahaha
The fourth term thing is hard to overcome.
Howard did it but it’s rare.
True re: polls in terms of what happened in 2019.
I agree Albo hasn’t shown much up to now but no doubt Labor are keeping their powder dry for now. It’s going to be interesting - often in times of crisis that’s when Governments are re-elected - hence maybe ‘going early’ - but when people are resentful it’s a big risk. A few weeks is a long time in politics so maybe they’re banking on the the vax rate being high enough and everyone gets to enjoy Christmas and summer.

I agree re: Mexico - 250k dead there. Night and day.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I also hate how people are being encouraged to get the second Vax sooner to help boost the numbers so we can get out of lockdown earlier but it will make the vaccine less effective. Which will just lead to more cases in the long run.

That's why I wanted to wait for Pfizer. Because it was only a 4 week turnaround for the 2nd jab as opposed to the recommended 8 for AZ..

If I'm getting the vaccine I want it to be as effective as possible. I think it's negligent from the health officials to recommend that we get the second Vax earlier when it's then less effective. It defeats the purpose of taking it in the first place.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How's that going to work though? You can't stop every person on the street to see if they're double vaxed or not. I get that something has to be done to reward those that are vaxxed but it will open a can of worms.
I’d say it’ll be something like certain venues/crowd sizes you’ll have to show your vax certificate to get in to, at least for a period of time. Of course the conspirators will say ‘we told you so’ and we are ‘surrendering our freedoms’ but that’s all crap - it’ll be for a period of time until the pandemic subsides adequately and there’s no need to do it anymore.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

It's also unfair on the younger age brackets who had to wait a few months to be eligible to be vaccinated because the roll-out was staggered and the older age groups were prioritised. I will be fully vaxed on the 22nd of September so it shouldn't affect me too much but I can see this creating more issues.
I do agree with that but it’s really about token incentivising at the moment more than anything. At least young people are now eligible & can get it moving. I can only presume the initial freedoms will involve places like hairdressers, beauty, outdoor restaurants & then licensed premises etc where ID can be checked easily. Of course there will be people who cheat the system, especially in certain areas

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I do agree with that but it’s really about token incentivising at the moment more than anything. At least young people are now eligible & can get it moving. I can only presume the initial freedoms will involve places like hairdressers, beauty, outdoor restaurants & then licensed premises etc where ID can be checked easily. Of course there will be people who cheat the system, especially in certain areas
Yeah that's what I was alluding to. For bigger events or businesses that have liquor licenses and proper security they'll definitely make sure the protocols are being followed and they only let in the double vaxed. For smaller businesses that aren't monitored and are desperate for business after being closed for ages, they might not be as stringent. That's where I think the issues will arise.

I also feel sorry for the people that will have to turn people away because they aren't double vaxed and the abuse they'll cop from those people for doing their job by not letting them in. Short term it will create more division.

Status
Not open for further replies.