Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This possibility is being considered, some opinions are that stronger lockdown = worse economy. However, it is being subject to analysis. We don't have to 100% assume, though It is early days yet, here (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00978-8/fulltext) is an example of analysis for a 12 month period mostly in 2020. They only have mortality data, not illness data, but they acknowledge this, and the facts provided from the information they do put together are very interesting.

Recognising that governments have to make decisions that "trade-off" considerations for public health, economic growth, political solidarity, and civil liberties, they took 5 OECD countries including Australia who have used elimination strategies (stronger lockdown aimed at stopping the spread), and compared them with OECD countries who have used mitigation strategies (weaker lockdown aimed at preventing hospitals being too overwhelmed).

View attachment 27510

The three charts are easy to understand. The orange line is Australia and the other elimination countries, the blue line would include the UK, US, and much of Europe. The first chart shows deaths per million population is much lower for elimination (duh), but the chart of real interest is the second one, which shows that GDP has been overall better for the countries doing stronger lockdowns.

Yes we can think and believe what we choose, I agree with @Cook, this is important in any democracy. Also important is to consider research and analysis. There are many years to come and long term outcomes may look different. But the current data shows that we probably don't need to be too worried about the impact of Australia's choices about lockdown measures on the economy. In fact it appears that the countries who have gone with weaker lock downs are the ones who might have more cause to be worried about the prospects of their economy.

It remains to be seen, but I think the odds are better that long term the stronger lockdown countries will overall do better economically, even more than this research of a 12 month period reveals.
Forgot about this study, I'd read it a while ago but yes the case was made that at that stage stronger lockdowns proved more beneficial

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What realistically happens if the numbers dont go down in 4 weeks?

Government setting itself up for failure
I got No idea,originally they ran with it and didn't lockdown over a few cases, they had to try it.that backfired but hey they had to try something, just the repercussions of that have been pretty shit, people have also got to accept responsibility for their own actions most people are doing whatever to get out of this and there's people not doing what's required, which is also holding us back fuck just don't mingle with people or go to the shops 25 times in a week .nsw ain't going anywhere till a certain percentage is vaccinated that's our reality

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Forgot about this study, I'd read it a while ago but yes the case was made that at that stage stronger lockdowns proved more beneficial
I should probably add in though, the majority of that study was through the periods were the delta strain wasn't even a factor. The consequences of opening up may actually have a larger impact now, with the delta strain

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At this stage we can at best make educated guesses as to what things will look like in 10 years. However, based on what we currently know, the combined cost to society and loss of productivity that will result from high mortality numbers and high long term illness numbers suggest that countries who used a softer mitigation strategy instead of a harder elimination strategy will be in a deeper hole economically and it will take them longer to climb out.

This more recent study (https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0252400) out of University of Melbourne uses a different way of crunching the current data to put together some projections, based on concepts like value of a statistical year of life. They found that:

"early rather than delayed mandated suppression imposes much lower economy and health costs" and "in high-income countries, like Australia, a ‘go early, go hard’ strategy to suppress COVID-19 results in the lowest estimated public health and economy costs".

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I should probably add in though, the majority of that study was through the periods were the delta strain wasn't even a factor. The consequences of opening up may actually have a larger impact now, with the delta strain
That was always a possibility, I recall epidemiologists saying at the start of the outbreak in Wuhan that if it got out, the real problem would not be dealing with the initial outbreak, it would be dealing with the variants.

Seems like they were right.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Blacktown getting a taste of a mini martial law. Cops everywhere pulling everyone over and the ghetto birds have been out all day so far.

PS I'm training my son at our park and what they are doing they are parked in the side street waiting for cars to drive past then stopping them.

PPS ghetto birds are cop helicopters lol

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Pfizer shareholders and amounts are public for anyone who holds more than a few million. Gates isn't on that list.

Also, there's a difference between being a shareholder and providing funding.

The Gates Foundation is a non-profit foundation. They don't make money off investments. The GAVI alliance is a charity. They don't make money. They help provide vaccines to poor countries.
oh please, FIFA is meant to be a non profit as well

this is a guy who would show delight in crushing any competition that came up, he wanted to put them all out of business, so this is not someone who cares about other people and in all the videos ive seen where he is talking about people dying he has a big smile on his face and he never discloses that he is heavily invested in it, in the clip below he is looking forward to the second wave because it will get peoples attention

he is a shareholder and provides funding so you can take whatever differences there are and apply them to him anyway, and it is across the board with moderna, testing technology so he is now entrenched in it

btw stop acting like he is mother teresa giving away billions of dollars, this is just a well known public relations tactic where instead of paying $15-20 billion in taxes when he is offloading his stock, he figures he can still control his money by putting it in a foundation, use it to make more money and power while people think he is not trying to make more money and power

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Blacktown getting a taste of a mini martial law. Cops everywhere pulling everyone over and the ghetto birds have been out all day so far.
Interesting to hear Gladys this morning encouraging people to get financial support. She said something like if you are struggling financially "because of the lockdown we are imposing on you", please contact blah or blah and ask for support.

They finally waking up to the fact that there are loads of people who are legitimately struggling and directly affected by the lockdown, but who don't understand that they can access support.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Interesting to hear Gladys this morning encouraging people to get financial support. She said something like if you are struggling financially "because of the lockdown we are imposing on you", please contact blah or blah and ask for support.

They finally waking up to the fact that there are loads of people who are legitimately struggling and directly affected by the lockdown, but who don't understand that they can access support.
Well if you are dependent on someone, you are more likely to comply so you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

The government isn't dumb, they know the public is getting more enraged every day.

I predict at every election from now on the opposition will be voted in. Not that it would make a difference...

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"early rather than delayed mandated suppression imposes much lower economy and health costs" and "in high-income countries, like Australia, a ‘go early, go hard’ strategy to suppress COVID-19 results in the lowest estimated public health and economy costs".
Which Victoria have done and after 12 days opened up with now only 8 new cases that were all in isolation and infected through known contacts.

We missed the boat bigtime with Bondi

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
must have been a brutal cage match, both Brad Hazzard and John barilaro didn’t front up for the 11am conference
update, Brad Hazzard did come out today at the end of the 11am conference. He must have hit barilaro flush with an overhand left to stop him..

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Well if you are dependent on someone, you are more likely to comply so you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

The government isn't dumb, they know the public is getting more enraged every day.

I predict at every election from now on the opposition will be voted in. Not that it would make a difference...
yeah i agree, the opposition is going to do the same thing but they just want to punish the premiers

there should be a ban on premiers covid press conferences unless they have something to say

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah and it won’t either I’m assuming so I don’t know I guess we have a unique little community here that people mostly hate each other but least we all talk I guess that’s something. I guess we have to try and help each other out even if it is by arguing on here least we are keeping each other busy..
And off the streets lol

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

who is the opposition in NSW I have forgotten who they are or even know who is in charge

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My missus actually decantered a half a bottle of wine the other day and her mate had the other in their water bottles and went fir a walk and did exercise lol. I thought I was the alko. People are starting to get over it hey..
I don't know have 3 ovals to myself sunshine and a few beers lol ,go home cook dinners than play games. Certain things definitely suck but,been watching shit on life in Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, during lockdown those poor people have it tough.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
oh please, FIFA is meant to be a non profit as well

this is a guy who would show delight in crushing any competition that came up, he wanted to put them all out of business, so this is not someone who cares about other people and in all the videos ive seen where he is talking about people dying he has a big smile on his face and he never discloses that he is heavily invested in it, in the clip below he is looking forward to the second wave because it will get peoples attention

he is a shareholder and provides funding so you can take whatever differences there are and apply them to him anyway, and it is across the board with moderna, testing technology so he is now entrenched in it

btw stop acting like he is mother teresa giving away billions of dollars, this is just a well known public relations tactic where instead of paying $15-20 billion in taxes when he is offloading his stock, he figures he can still control his money by putting it in a foundation, use it to make more money and power while people think he is not trying to make more money and power

Of course it is. But if it's going to be a tax write off, wouldn't you prefer this to someone who just invests it in failing businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.