Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
CASE NUMBERS RISE IN NSW
NSW is bracing for at least 100 new COVID-19 cases today, Gladys Berejiklian says, which would make it the worst day in the state’s latest outbreak. Numbers are surging: yesterday saw 77 new cases confirmed, while Saturday saw 55. The majority of new cases remain in Sydney’s southwest, which is seeing household-to-household transmission.
In response to the outbreak, a new public health ad which urges people to stay home, get tested and book a vaccination — and which was originally filmed at the end of last year — was released in Sydney over the weekend. The ad, in which a woman gasps for breath in a hospital bed, has been described as purposely “graphic” by Australia’s chief medical officer Paul Kelly, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Berejiklian has flagged her state’s lockdown will probably be extended beyond this Friday, which would make it the third time it has been extended — the ABC breaks down why. From tomorrow, masks in indoor common areas of residential buildings will become mandatory in Greater Sydney — such as lifts or lobbies. Residents outside of Greater Sydney can only enter the region for essential goods or services, or funerals. The ABC says there are four big questions NSW needs answered if the state is to recover from the Delta outbreak.
Sadly, a 90-year-old woman from southwest Sydney died on Saturday after catching the virus from a family member, Guardian Australia reports. It’s Australia’s first death from locally-caught COVID-19 this year.
IN ARM'S WAY
In good news, NSW passed a million vaccination doses late last week. The state government is calling on Sydney residents to bring their second AstraZeneca jab forward to six weeks after their first, Guardian Australia says. The recommended timeframe between two AstraZeneca doses is 12 weeks, while the minimum is 4 weeks, as ABC reports.
It comes after the ABC broke a story last night that former prime minister Kevin Rudd met with the Pfizer chairman just days before Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that earlier vaccination supplies were headed for our shores. Australia has contracted 40 million doses of Pfizer, and 4.5 million of those will arrive in August, Guardian Australia says. Health Minister Greg Hunt told The Australian ($) that K-Rudd had nothing to do with the expedited doses deal.
LAW AND BORDER
Victoria has closed its border with NSW and the ACT as of 11:59pm last night. Incredibly, Victoria hasn’t recorded a new case in 11 days. The border closure spells chaos for the footy — Sydney and GWS Giants were meant to face each other in Canberra next round, but the Herald Sun ($) says border closures will likely see the NSW-based teams settling in for an extended period in Victoria.
Northern Territory’s hotspot declarations for Queensland’s Brisbane and Moreton Bay council areas were revoked yesterday at 5pm, though a tiered-exposure site categorisation will remain in place. Territorians in NSW are being urged to return home, indicating a border closure is imminent, the ABC reports.
SCHOOL'S IN
It wasn’t that long ago that the NSW Government said home learning for students was not on the table — but now students and parents should brace for it to continue beyond week one, SMH reports. It follows the rapidly developing situation in NSW.
It’s bad news for kids — after seven weeks at home, students were three to four months behind in reading and numeracy according to assessments provided to the NSW Government. Some 3000 students dropped out of school permanently, the NSW Teachers Federation said.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting to see if hospitalisation rates and deaths increase with their high vaccination rate
I'm curious too. Deaths have started going up, averaging about 35 deaths per day for the last 5 days, but that's nothing in comparison to what they had at peak Covid.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious too. Deaths have started going up, averaging about 35 deaths per day for the last 5 days, but that's nothing in comparison to what they had at peak Covid.
Prob take another full 3 or so weeks to properly assess the data

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
QLD easing some restrictions on Friday, not that i was intending to go out dancing, but it will be good to not have to remember my mask everywhere i go. Walk ins for vaccines remain stopped until additional supplies come in.

Border staying open to regional NSW for now. Going to now book my mother's ticket to come up to Brisbane and keep fingers crossed (still have to wear masks in airports and on planes but that's a no brainer).

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So I got a COVID story.

Bloke who works with my nephew, they install personal elevators, and stair chair lifts, those kind of things. He was in The U.S when COVID first hit, couldn’t get back, but as they had an office over there at least had the chance to keep working.

Was a COVID skeptic, and then got it. And pretty well blew through it, seemingly unscathed, said it was just like a flu and he’d had worse. Finally gets cleared back into Aus beginning of the year, two weeks in quarantine, back to work and all is good.

Few months ago starts feeling short of breath, one night his wife finds him on the stairs (two storey home) almost passed out. Taken to hospital and it’s found he has blisters and scar tissue on his lungs, from COVID.

This bloke is early 40’s and football fit, 90kg’s odd. Nephew tells me he’s dropped 15kgs plus and his dark brown, almost black hair from the beginning of the year is now almost completely silver. Just before lockdown they went around and installed a chair stair lift for him so he can get to his bedroom.

Doctors say given his age and fitness he should make a full recovery, but no guarantee of when.

So…. It’s NOT just a bad flu or a cold, It’s fuckin’ COVID 19. And it will fuck you up.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
112 new cases, majority are family/close contacts. 34 cases are not related.

Status
Not open for further replies.