'Could you imagine that?': Bold plan to destroy Origin

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
NSW coach Brad Fittler says he'd be open to relaxing the eligibility rules around the State of Origin series, with the Blues coach declaring NSW players are keen to restart the season with the game's marquee series.

A report in the Sydney Morning Herald has floated the idea of widening the Origin selection pool because Tonga's mid-season Test match against New Zealand was postponed, shortchanging the plethora of Tonga fans who passionately support their team.

The move would be a huge call but would make use of star players like Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Will Hopoate and Siosiua Taukeiaho, while using the shutdown to the game's advantage giving it an opportunity to do something it has never done before and wouldn't be bound to in the future.

"As much as it would hurt us, could you imagine Jason Taumalolo lining up in a Maroons jumper?" Fittler asked.

The Blues coach said NSW players were keen on the idea of Origin kick-starting the season.

He said that Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast had been identified as a possible venue, however the games would need to be played behind closed doors.

"I've spoken to some of the players about it and they're already pumped," Fittler said.

"The Origin series would be a good way of kicking things off, to show everyone that rugby league can lock down two teams for an extended period. And if that works, it could be a precursor to the rest of the NRL starting at some stage.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-br...ng-rules/2697aa6a-a730-41a8-a4a7-263240c56108

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah !! Fuck that, I’d still watch but fuck that lol.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It devalues what origin is and ends up just being a club game

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Why allow players who didnt previously qualify for origin, play it because of COV? There are still enough players who qualify to fill origin sides. I see the reason they give is because Tongans etc dont get a chance to play their international matches this year. So fkn what? They miss 1 match for 1 year, big deal. Also heard of a 5 match origin series. Wtf for? lol. 3 games as usual would be plenty enough to test if they can play NRL during COV.

The idea of playing origin first to see if they can manage 2 teams doing it during COV, before trying 16 teams makes sense. But i dont get why they need to change shit like who can play origin, or playing a 5 match series. Thats just stupid and would reduce the number of premiership matches that could be fit into this year.

They should be concentrating on simply playing games somehow, not reinventing the game.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck that i would rather sit the year out and start fresh next year.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The balls-up that our code is has already seen Tonie Carroll play for NZ, Qld and Australia, not to mention the Inglis "where was he born?" fiasco etc etc. It couldn't get much more of a joke than it already is, bugger it they should get Grant Hackett and Brett Dallas out there off their chops for a bit of a giggle.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"I've spoken to some of the players about it and they're already pumped," Fittler said.
Probably because they think about the cool 30k per game.......or will that not be applicable because of the exceptional circumstances?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably because they think about the cool 30k per game.......or will that not be applicable because of the exceptional circumstances?
not sure, highly doubt they would receive that amount, but it certainly won't be pocket lint either

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about origin anymore. But to completely remove the selection process and the eligibility rules just cheapens the concept. The incumbents would be more than happy to kick off the season with their bonus pay though, so it isn't surprising that they're behind the idea. Fittler is probably not getting paid right now either.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
They do that then they can't call it Origin. Call it something else.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
This progressive dip shit thinks in awfully strange ways.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NSW coach Brad Fittler says he'd be open to relaxing the eligibility rules around the State of Origin series, with the Blues coach declaring NSW players are keen to restart the season with the game's marquee series.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-br...ng-rules/2697aa6a-a730-41a8-a4a7-263240c56108
Fittler is missing a brain.

The players would eat a shit sandwich, if it meant the played footy to get most of their money.

A

Alexander the Great

Joey and Freddy must be on good gear lately. They have been coming up with some cracker comments

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do wonder how long Origin will survive into the future, players just don't hate each other enough anymore

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of things the NRL need to change or fix and SOO eligibility isn’t one of them.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sure, and let 4 cylinder turbos join the V8's, swimming with floaties and snorkels and NBL players play netball while you're at it lol