Could we see a successful future with DWZ and Okunbor on the wings or do we need replacements?

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
or his football brain
DWZ to centre. He has all the attributes of being a good centre. His ball returns have been good.
He and Cotric are the way to go. He has a few mistakes in him, but so do all the others.
Oh...I forgot, he doesnt have Hoppas hands.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure I will be ridiculed, but I see Ockunbur as a future second rower moving forward. His best attribute is running over the top of people so let‘s utilise his best attribute in closer .He also played a lot of a juniors in the back row , and even played some prop in his last year of under 20’s.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I sure I will be ridiculed, but I see Ockunbur as a future second rower moving forward. His best attribute is running over the top of people so let‘s utilise his best attribute in closer .He also played a lot of a juniors in the back row , and even played some prop in his last year of under 20’s.
We're stacked in the second row (to be fair a lot of average players) we're going to struggle to fit them all in as is (Jackson, RFM, Elliott, Doorey, Waddell, Stimson and Topine for e.g.). For our team Okunbor needs to be a winger.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really want to like DWZ cause he does have some good traits. In particular he runs the ball hard with little self-preservation and has a decent motor. But there are just too many faults in his game (butter hands, poor defensive reads) to justify playing him anywhere but on the wing. Just really comes down to money; for the right price i'd be happy for him to be one of our wingers. Whether he would accept 400-450K a year range is another question though. Perhaps outside a defensively minded centre (like a J Morris type) he could improve and become a really solid winger.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're stacked in the second row (to be fair a lot of average players) we're going to struggle to fit them all in as is (Jackson, RFM, Elliott, Doorey, Waddell, Stimson and Topine for e.g.). For our team Okunbor needs to be a winger.
I don’t disagree with you, we are stacked
For second rowers, but none of them have any pace or line breaking ability . RFM is better suited in the middle as is Elliot. Jackson and Stimson I don’t see featuring much moving forward. Doorey I rate highly , but will be more a work horse , and Topine I think will feature in the centres to start his career before transitioning to the back row later on. Waddell is the mystery on this list. I am not sure how he will go.

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWS & Smith will be the wingers....Okunbor will be back up

Centres will be Cotric & Hoppa (if Hoppa not Fullback... if so a new signing will be announced for centre)

Fullback will Hoppa unless someone is signed...Meaney will be back up

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Next year we have competition for winger spots, I don't see Okunbor being remotely close to playing the early season games, but when he is fit he will put pressure on DWZ and RSmith to play every game like it's their last chance, because it might well be.

Go Dogs
I got laughed at last time I mentioned it... But if we get a solid 80min hooker im all for playing Okunbur in #14 especially considering he's coming off an ACL

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like reimis that much anymore, thought he was good back end of last year when we went on that little run, but his attitude is poor and he hasn’t shown much progression. Make or break season this year for him in my opinion.
Agree it's make or break for Reimis. I'd would like to see him on the end of a slick backline, but he's unlikely to get that opportunity next year. I'd still start with him for Rd 1 if he has a good off-season.

Okunbor is going OK. Helps the forwards out and gets good meters most of the time. Gets himself in pretty good position as well. Could still go either way with him but I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes next year. We all know what DWZ brings, he's always been the same. He rucks the ball out of our 20 pretty well and runs hard all game, but he's not a big yardage man or try scorer, and he rarely beats a defender. One of our worst 'value for money' signings ever. He's not in my top 13.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Problem with DWZ is he's way over priced now as a Winger.

I'm a big believer in spending minimum on Wingers and Props and spending big on your Spine, Centres and edge forwards.

Not saying those positions aren't important, but they're basic roles with a massive talent pool to pick from.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People on here seem to agree that DWZ brings the ball back hard. He has good speed as well.
I know he has dropped a few balls, but that can be coached out of him. Hes not the first good player to drop balls.
He is the person to play fullback i think.
I say that, apart from Meaney, there is simply no one else at this stage.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
People on here seem to agree that DWZ brings the ball back hard. He has good speed as well.
I know he has dropped a few balls, but that can be coached out of him. Hes not the first good player to drop balls.
He is the person to play fullback i think.
I say that, apart from Meaney, there is simply no one else at this stage.
I think his hit ups have been pretty ineffective this year tbh. Also looks like he always tries to force an offload even when it isn't on. Those are the only two things he really offers so he has to nail them. I think our fullback will be either Hopoate, Averillo (future planning) or someone else if we sign a fullback. I can't see DWZ ever going there again, maybe a slight chance for Meaney.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the only success you’d have with Zelezniak on the wing is if he is in reserve grade. It’s help both first grade and the reserve grade team with him there.

best case scenario is chn getting in his ear and getting him to break contract to follow him to the nations capital :p

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Both can be guns on their day. Wing isnt the problem

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think his hit ups have been pretty ineffective this year tbh. Also looks like he always tries to force an offload even when it isn't on. Those are the only two things he really offers so he has to nail them. I think our fullback will be either Hopoate, Averillo (future planning) or someone else if we sign a fullback. I can't see DWZ ever going there again, maybe a slight chance for Meaney.
Everything you have said there applies to Hopoate.